Skip to main content
Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Tearin' Em Up Charters

I really didn't want to throw someone under the bus like this but I feel it is necessary to be sure that everyone stays safe on the water. A few weeks ago I was out freedive spearing with my brother on a local published reef in 35' off Longboat Key. We were the first and only ones in the water when the gentleman who runs Tearin' Em Up Charters decided to anchor right next to us with only about 20' of space between our boats. I was a little astonished that an individual with the name and phone number of his business would commit such a dangerous and outright discourteous move when there are clearly divers in the water, flag up and all. I decided to let it slide until this weekend when I was out on Saturday morning anchored on the same reef with three divers in the water and sure enough here comes Tearin' Em Up Charters who decides to anchor about 20' off my bow and drift back towards us three divers quite close.

Now don't get me wrong I understand that the captain has a business to run but it's not like we were at some secret spot. I feel that it is necessary to make people aware because I am sure I am not the only one this has happened to. The other part which blows my mind is that someone would pull something like that twice with customers on the boat, not exactly setting a good example.

Everyone stay safe out there and please give plenty of room when you see a vessel with a dive flag. The last thing we need is someone being injured or killed while enjoying the gulf.

Stay safe and keep tight lines,

JB

Replies

• JSTickumJSTickum Posts: 412 Deckhand
    I grew up fishing offshore on the east coast and was always told by the FMP that their is 300 foot distance that you are supposed to stay clear of divers in the water , but this does not suprise me on this coast , been backwater fishing here for 15 years now and see these guides that think they own certain spots on the water just because they have customers on board , I duno but it is pretty sad when you get into a spitting contest on B\S like this , I guess they have never heard that there are pleanty of fish in the ocean
  • sharkatak1089sharkatak1089 Posts: 6,407 Officer
    I think T Gunn will be along shortly to tell you why he did what he "did"….

sucks people gotta be stupid, huh?
    I am choice.
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.
  • jbsrqjbsrq Posts: 234 Deckhand
    I am sure he has his own explanation but in my eyes there is never any justification for endangering others.
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,958 Captain
    This outta be good!! Isnt that the boat that likes to fish under the New Pass Bridge?? I may be confused, but that sucks someone anchored that close to you especially if you were there first. Funny thing is i wouldnt think the bite would be very good with 3 divers under the boat?
  • GatorInPISoundGatorInPISound Posts: 543 Officer
    hmmmm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Trust in the LORD and receive HIS many blessings....
  • snooknUSMCsnooknUSMC Posts: 113 Officer
    People will be stupid
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,355 Admiral
    Divers need to keep flipping his anchor over so he will keep drifting away.
  • GatorInPISoundGatorInPISound Posts: 543 Officer
    jbsrq...I was just a wondering what this captain was thinking...nothing to go on with, just a wondering...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Trust in the LORD and receive HIS many blessings....
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,995 Captain
    :Popcorn I think I've revisited this thread 20-25 times now. I hope the captain visits soon :Popcorn
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    That sucks that someone would put you and your friends at risk like that. Any time we see dive flags, or any other boat for that matter, we steer way clear of them...there are plenty of places to fish out there.

On a separate note, that's pretty cool you guys were free diving that deep. If you have any pics of that trip or any other, it would be cool to see them. That's pretty hardcore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fishingkid315fishingkid315 Posts: 1,955 Captain
    Interesting I've seen that boat in the bay a lot.
    Sarasota,Fl 
    Fishing, Photography, Life
    jbsrq...I was just a wondering what this captain was thinking...nothing to go on with, just a wondering...

Thank you. I hate to have started a whole thing, I just want to make everyone aware. It gets hectic out I know, but everyone one should take precautions to keep themselves and others safe.
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,150 Officer
    Nice fishing report! Jeeeee's If your gonna complain... complain in general. keep it what its for! Why can't people read " REPORTS"
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
    tileman wrote: »
    Nice fishing report! Jeeeee's If your gonna complain... complain in general. keep it what its for! Why can't people read " REPORTS"

My apologies for posting it in the wrong section :banghead, I will see if I can get an admin to move it to the general discussion.
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,150 Officer
    jbsrq wrote: »
    My apologies for posting it in the wrong section :banghead, I will see if I can get an admin to move it to the general discussion.

no harm done...sometimes I get alittle testie, my apologies also, and I do understand.
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
  • Jirvin70Jirvin70 Posts: 92 Greenhorn
    I am surprised to hear this. I see Doug out on the water all the time and have never seen him do anything like you describe. I also hear that he is a good guide and has a good reputation in the area, and many of my friends have chartered him, like him, and think he is a class act.

Maybe it was a misunderstanding, or maybe it occurred exactly like you described. I don't know. Obviously you are upset, and maybe rightfully so, as I assume you would not have gone out of your way to post about it otherwise.

I have gotten in touch with Capt. Doug and expect that he will formally respond to your post. I hope that the two of you can resolve the issue regardless of right or wrong.
  • tbuckhalter42tbuckhalter42 Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    unfortunatly as a non diver and avid fisherman/ive had many occasion to be on a reef or number anchored many times only to have a dive boat come up suit up and go in..if we need to respect their space then they shouild respect ours.happens all the time over here on the east coast..very frustrating.plenty of spots for all but i believe first come first serve...
  • crossbonescrossbones Posts: 127 Deckhand
    why didnt you cut his anchor off. plausible deniability works for the government. should work for you.
    Just want to let everyone know I spoke with Capt. Doug on another forum and worked things out. There were some misunderstandings but it's all good. I am overly cautious these days as I have a few buddies who were in a bad boating accident a few months ago and got run over. Everyone stay safe out there and slay some fish!

JB
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Sarasota/VenicePosts: 1,096 Officer
    Yep, some people can have a jerk streak. The flip side of this happened to me last week. I was tarpon fishing at the skyway, anchored next to a piling. Then a 20' Sea Hunt comes and anchors 20' to my left. They put up a dive flag and look at me like they expect me to leave, the. Get out their spearguns and start taking the sheepies and grouper I was catching before. Killed the spot completely.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
    bigfinn35 wrote: »
    Yep, some people can have a jerk streak. The flip side of this happened to me last week. I was tarpon fishing at the skyway, anchored next to a piling. Then a 20' Sea Hunt comes and anchors 20' to my left. They put up a dive flag and look at me like they expect me to leave, the. Get out their spearguns and start taking the sheepies and grouper I was catching before. Killed the spot completely.

Ya it definitely happens to both sides. I hook and line as well as freedive spearfish and really try my best to respect others regardless of the way they are fishing.
  • BarefootBBarefootB Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Been in this situation on both sides, as rod and reel guy and as a spear fisherman, I always move as it's never worth hurting someone, even if they are a complete d-bag, but I will sit there for a good 5-10 minutes with my engine revved to make my point.