Home Conservation Forums

Gag regs in the big bend

limitlesslimitless Posts: 707 Officer
The special season for Gag Grouper in Franklin, Wakulla, Jefferson & Taylor counties closes the end of June and the Federal season begins 1 July. If you harvest Gags in federal waters after 1 July and return to port in one of those counties with those grouper, if stopped and checked in state waters are you in violation of the state regulations?

The Snook & Gamefish Foundation is now the Angler Action Program: http://angleractionfoundation.com/  Dedicated to Conservation and Education.  Please check us out.

Angler Action Program: IAngler app trip log on your phone

Replies

• flatsbroke22flatsbroke22 Posts: 404 Deckhand
    no just don't stop and fish in state waters with gag grouper on board.
    2002 Pathfinder 2200v 200 Vmax HPDI
    2006 Hobie Outfitter Tandem
  • limitlesslimitless Posts: 707 Officer
    The regs aren't clear on possession in state waters. I'm waiting to hear from a LEO.

The Snook & Gamefish Foundation is now the Angler Action Program: http://angleractionfoundation.com/  Dedicated to Conservation and Education.  Please check us out.

• flatsbroke22flatsbroke22 Posts: 404 Deckhand
    I'm no leo but I know the laws!

During the the April 1 through June 30 regional season for Taylor through Franklin counties, can I harvest gag grouper outside this area and land them in the open region? Can I harvest gag grouper in the open region and land them in a closed area?

No. Harvest and possession of gag grouper would only be permitted in state waters off Taylor, Jefferson, Wakulla and Franklin counties, including all waters of the Steinhatchee River, Apalachicola Bay and Indian Pass from April 1 through June 30. This means that gag grouper could only be harvested within this region and could only be landed in this region. For example, it would be illegal to harvest gag grouper off Dixie County from April 1 through June 30, regardless of where they are landed. It would also be illegal to harvest gag grouper off Taylor County and dock your boat with gag grouper onboard in Dixie County outside the open area.

On July 1st the four-county area closes, but recreational anglers will be able to transit from open federal waters or open state waters through the four-county closed area. On or after July 1st in the four-county region, you cannot stop and fish if you have gag grouper on board your vessel. Vessels possessing gag grouper in the four-county closed area must be in direct and continuous transit, and if stopped and fishing in a closed area it will be prima facie evidence that any gag grouper on board were harvested at the location where the vessel is stopped. Gag grouper season will end October 31, 2012, for all waters outside of the four-county area.
    2002 Pathfinder 2200v 200 Vmax HPDI
    2006 Hobie Outfitter Tandem
  • limitlesslimitless Posts: 707 Officer
    Thanks Flatsbroke!! That makes complete sense, and was what I thought, but just want to be sure.