Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Bait Shop in NSB

Hey folks,
Can anybody recommend a bait shop in NSB for surf baits? Frozen shrimp and stuff? My 7 yrd old will be fishing with me this year, so I'll be using twice as much bait. So, I'm looking for good prices.

Thanks

Replies

• NSByakNSByak Posts: 424 Officer
    I can tell you that the shop on Riverside Drive right by the marina has zero interest in its customers (this is the one right across from the court house). I feel like I'm bothering them by trying to buy some bait. I won't be back after the last two trips there. Oh, and the guy gave me a hard time about giving him a $10 bill, he wanted smaller bills.
  • Duckbill68Duckbill68 Posts: 265 Deckhand
    Thanks. Cecil's is typically where I've gotten mine in the past. Mainly because it's the only shop I knew of.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,636 AG
    NSByak wrote: »
    Oh, and the guy gave me a hard time about giving him a $10 bill, he wanted smaller bills.

You must be a " High Roller" carrying a ten spot....LOL!!!
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • magicmikemagicmike Posts: 31 Deckhand
    If you can't find what you want at Cecils take the road behind them to 38 bait. All the way at the end of the road. They have a nice selection of live bait and you can buy fresh dead by the scoop for cheap.
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    You must be a " High Roller" carrying a ten spot....LOL!!!

The sad part is that I bought about $6 worth of bait:huh
    magicmike wrote: »
    If you can't find what you want at Cecils take the road behind them to 38 bait. All the way at the end of the road. They have a nice selection of live bait and you can buy fresh dead by the scoop for cheap.

Thanks! I'll check them out!
  • jumboshrimpjumboshrimp Posts: 820 Officer
    NSByak wrote: »
    I can tell you that the shop on Riverside Drive right by the marina has zero interest in its customers (this is the one right across from the court house). I feel like I'm bothering them by trying to buy some bait. I won't be back after the last two trips there. Oh, and the guy gave me a hard time about giving him a $10 bill, he wanted smaller bills.

definitely going to agree with this. and the one down the road across from the new smyrna boat ramp isn't too amazing either.
  • NSBAnglerNSBAngler Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    Personally, I've had good experience with the shop on the marina for just picking up some live shrimp, but they don't carry a lot of other bait. Cecil's has been decent. 38 has been the best IMO with good inventory, helpful people, and it seems they have more live bait more often.

If you are headed south on A1A, there is a shop near Bethune Beach that has some, and JBs also sells bait and opens at 6:30am.
    NSBAngler wrote: »
    Personally, I've had good experience with the shop on the marina for just picking up some live shrimp, but they don't carry a lot of other bait. Cecil's has been decent. 38 has been the best IMO with good inventory, helpful people, and it seems they have more live bait more often.

If you are headed south on A1A, there is a shop near Bethune Beach that has some, and JBs also sells bait and opens at 6:30am.

I didn't realize JB's opened at 6:30. I'll keep that option open as well. Sounds like 38Bait is top pick.

Thanks for all the replies.
    Has anyone been to Native bait and tackle in Edgewater? I always forget about it. Its fairly new but I haven't been in yet.
  • jumboshrimpjumboshrimp Posts: 820 Officer
    Native is ok. I've used them a few times. always had plenty of shrimp and the plastics I needed last minute.