Gheenoe in Marathon/Key Colony Beach

I have read some of the posts regarding fishing from a Gheenoe in Marathon/Key Colony Beach and one concern that consistently came up was the current in Vaca Cut. I want to fish the flats south of Marathon for bonefish and would like to avoid going through the cut if possible. There is a boat launch on the east side of the Sadowski Causeway but we are staying on the west side of Key Colony Beach. Can a Gheenoe make it under the small bridge on the causeway? I would like to avoid going on the outside around the island. My boat is 13 feet with a 6hp motor so it is relatively low to the water.

Replies

• KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,866 Captain
    I think there is a ramp next to the marina, and I think you probably can get under the bridge, but with a 6 horse outboard, I wouldn't think you would have any problem with the current, especially if you time it around slack current. The better ramp for you would be the one North of US1 near the entrance to KCB. It's free and was completely reconditioned complete with finger pier.
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • WPHornWPHorn Posts: 60 Deckhand
    There is also a new kayak launching dock directly behind Marathon City Hall in the "dog park". Don't know if launching with a small o/b is allowed or not. There is no ramp but folks drive right to the dock with their kayaks.
  • razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Officer
    You can make it to the jack tar flat shooting across vaca cut and onto the flat on a high tide. I have done it in kayaks. The closer you get to the bridge, the narrower it gets and stronger. There Is a shallow shoal just south and east of the.marker on the east side of the channel you should notice a water change when the water is moving.
  • kalamfletcher28kalamfletcher28 Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    There is a boat ramp at Coral Lagoon. Puts you in on the west side of KCB.
  • mwk208mwk208 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    There is a boat ramp at Coral Lagoon. Puts you in on the west side of KCB.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know there was a ramp on that side but I see it on Google Maps now. Does anyone know what the cost is to use the ramp at Coral Lagoon?
  • BuckheadMahiBuckheadMahi Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    mwk208 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I didn't know there was a ramp on that side but I see it on Google Maps now. Does anyone know what the cost is to use the ramp at Coral Lagoon?

You can call the marina and ask them - Coral Lagon Marina (305) 481-0653
    :fishing