Mangrove (gray, black) snapper- need cooking suggestions

Circle-HookCircle-Hook Posts: 503 Officer
Mangos were thick- we caught a bunch- now whats a good way to prepare them? Filets from 18" to 30" fish. Thanks

Replies

• jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    Surprised no responses. Check the recipe slash fish section for older recipes. I just ate grovers three days in a row after a trip. Blackened once, Veracruz style once (my version is posted in here) and ceviche once. It's such a light sweet meat, you can't do much wrong to it other than overcooking. The grouper picaata recipe below would be good as well. Post a couple of pics when you decide how you want them.
  • Lunch Money SurfLunch Money Surf Posts: 1,033 Officer
    Did you filet them all already?

If not, snapper is great to fry or back whole - just scale, gill and gut.

For baking, score the sides and rub with salt, pepper and olive oil. Then bake at like 400 until done.

For frying, score the sides and rub with salt and pepper, then Alabama King corn meal. Deep fry and squeeze lemon or lime over type immediately after pulling out of the grease.

With fresh snapper I feel like the least you do to it the better, one of the best eating fish in the ocean.
  • ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    Fried and ceviche. Although I do make a mean picatta that I may have to try next time.
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,312 Officer
    Cut filets into 1-1 1/2" wide fingers. Dip in an egg wash (beaten egg and milk) and then in Panko bread crumbs or crushed Corn Flakes. Deep fry in very hot oil (Canola oil) until golden, 3-4 minutes. Don't overfry and don't add so much fish that it brings down the oil temperature and makes the fish soggy. 400 degrees plus! Mangroves are my favorite fish, yellowtails a close second.
  • FS DavidFS David Posts: 297 Deckhand
    Here's a simple and not too common prep, perfect for bigger mangroves if you like pesto.

Make pesto, spread over fillet, dust with a light coat of parmesan, bake.
  • robalorogrobalorog Posts: 502 Officer
    Dip in egg then cover in italian bread crumbs. Pan fry with butter then squeeze lemon juice over it. Place on kaiser roll with tarter, lettuce and a fat slice of the reddest tomatoe you can find. My favorite....
  • FS DavidFS David Posts: 297 Deckhand
    Nice list going!
  • SHELLFISHSHELLFISH Posts: 106 Deckhand
    My favorite way for the snappers is real simple!
    Broiled in butter with just a bit of paprika for color and then sprinkle with lemon. Um um good!
    Simple and good! Of course you could also fry the filets.