Home General Paddle Craft

Thoughts on OK Scupper Pro 15'

SwampratSwamprat Posts: 1,058 Officer
Hey all, just wanting some opinions on a Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro.

I am looking into joining the plastic navy and found a good deal on a used one. Never have owned a yak before but just looking for a reason to get out and do some expanded fishing oppurtunities since finances at the time prohibit me owning a power vessel.

I mostly will be using in creeks, bayous and bay flats. Not looking to do the ocean thing right now.

Like I said it is used with no extras for fishing but I got a birthday and tax money coming up so would like a opinion from the folks on here if it is worth considering as a first time yak.

Thanks
Jackson Cuda 12

A wade fisherman is the most simplistic but the most adept for the quarry they are after. They are immersed in their challenger's habitat and are in tune with the subtle changes of current, temperature and bottom. In order to be successful at this noble and primal fishing form one must be submerged from their goobs to their boobs, anyone doing this outside of that boundary is either sunbathing or swimming. S.F. Stewart 2015

Replies

• thefuzz253thefuzz253 Posts: 57 Deckhand
    I would look around for a dealer that will demo for you. That way you can try out several boats and get the one you want. I'm on my third kayak now. I really like the Tarpons and the Hobies, but I have never tried out the Scupper Pro. Good luck and welcome to the plastic navy.
  • sharkatak1089sharkatak1089 Posts: 6,407 Officer
    isn't this an older discountinued skinny boat?
    I am choice.
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.
  • SwampratSwamprat Posts: 1,058 Officer
    isn't this an older discountinued skinny boat?

I have no idea since I am not on top of what is in or out as far as models, the pic I seen it appeared maybe a tad bit slimmer than other models but seemed like it had ample room for mods. I was looking at it more as from it being a Ocean Kayak which in some circles has a good following.

Can't afford a Hobie but was looking at a 12' Pescador on sale at Academy Sports but the OK brand seems like a better overall yak.

I might just get the OK and give it a go as my first since my type of fishing will be in mild waters and for the price they want I could still sell it later for what I paid more than likely.
    Jackson Cuda 12

A wade fisherman is the most simplistic but the most adept for the quarry they are after. They are immersed in their challenger's habitat and are in tune with the subtle changes of current, temperature and bottom. In order to be successful at this noble and primal fishing form one must be submerged from their goobs to their boobs, anyone doing this outside of that boundary is either sunbathing or swimming. S.F. Stewart 2015
  • bnzbnz Posts: 183 Deckhand
    The scupper pro will paddle better than any of OK's other offerings. You'll just have to get used to your gear constantly getting wet in the tankwell. There's a reason this kayak has a good following and OK brought it back. This yak is a good one for going offshore.
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    x's 2
    bnz wrote: »
    The scupper pro will paddle better than any of OK's other offerings. You'll just have to get used to your gear constantly getting wet in the tankwell. There's a reason this kayak has a good following and OK brought it back. This yak is a good one for going offshore.
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    BUY IT!!!!!. The scupper pro is a great yak.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • krashkrash Posts: 670 Officer
    I am one of the fortunate few who has a ScupperPro and love it. I've had 2 other kayaks and also have a Kazkazi Dorado. I use the ScupperPro pretty much exclusively. It is one of the best paddling kayaks around and I would not hesitate to take it off shore any day of week.

Are you looking at the TW model with the tank well area behind the seat of the classic with front and rear hatches. The TW is better suited for fishing as you can put a crate in the rear to carry your stuff.

The floor is not flat so if your plan desire is to stand, unless you have great balance its not easy.

The kayak paddles like a dream, weighs 56#, a good 10# less than most poly boats and for what ever reason every year the newer ones get heavier with every new release.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
    Saw 1 for sale today in a garage/yard sale in the neighborhood.

The guy has 2 one Blue and 1 Yellow, will sell both as a package deal or the one in the yard is Yellow. Its the ScupperPro-TW version, hardly used, garage kept. The guy is a police oficer, outdoorsman, and keeps his stuff in great condition, asking $450.00
    If inetersetd it on SW 120th ave between SW 55th street and Stirling road Cooper City.

The comment about stuff always being wet, I never have that problem, I plugged the scuppers in the seat so my butt is not wet. Have a crate in the TankWell area with tripple rod holder mounted. The only time my stuff is wet is if it rains or I'm in some serious chop.
  • bobert421bobert421 Posts: 400 Deckhand
    A great yak for the money. I have an old Scupper classic for my first yak with no major problems. I have added rod holders and depth finder mount to the center console area of mine and it works great. Milk crate in the back for storage and more rod holders. Most of the fishing I do is offshore and it has done just fine. The scupper plugs will definitely help staying dry, otherwise plan to be sitting in water the entire time. When the water gets cold it can be uncomfortable to be sitting in cold water.

Check the seals around the hatches, they have a tendency to leak some. I need to replace mine soon. In rougher water or in the surf it will accumulate water inside if not kept in good condition. I have been out in some rough seas in mine and had no problems. Depending on my bonus at the end of the month I may be looking to sell it and get something new or I am considering keeping it and just getting a second yak. Lots of room inside mine, I can easily fit three rods and reels inside for launching and landing in rough surf. Flipped once in the surf with rods out and it was not fun watching my Penn reels being dragged through the sand and salt water.
  • YaksquatchYaksquatch Posts: 499 Officer
    GET IT GET IT GET IT!!! I had the privilege of borrowing a friend's once and have been wanting to buy one ever since! It's quite possibly the best paddling SOT kayak available!

Alex
  • NaplesYaksterNaplesYakster Posts: 91 Deckhand
    craigslist deals for some of these great yaks come around from time to time...
    Wilderness Tarpons...Heritage Redfish, OK Scupper Pro..Prowler....etc.....
  • bugdocbugdoc Posts: 421 Officer
    The Scupper Pro is probably the fastest molded sit-on-top kayak and I've had one for 6 years. Great for long trips, offshore, surfing, etc. It is not well laid out for fishing, so you have to get creative. Also requires a non-standard skinny milk crate. If you are over 200 lbs you may want something a little wider. Even though you plan on short trips, it's nice to have the versatility to paddle 5-6 miles in less than ideal conditions if you want to (or in a few cases have to). The extra speed allows you to travel against currents that slower kayaks struggle against (but we are only talking about .4-.5 mph difference with a Scupper Pro and a 14 foot Tarpon or Prowler 13). If money wasn't an issue I'd go for the Trident 15 instead, but I suspect money is an issue.
    bugdoc

Southeast Florida kayak launch sites at http://www.floridakayaksites.info
  • CajunRichCajunRich Posts: 262 Officer
    Krash is one of these Kayak still around? How can I contact the guy? I would love to up grade my wife's boat ;) I work in Hollywood now so I commute from Boynton to there everyday.
    krash wrote: »
    Saw 1 for sale today in a garage/yard sale in the neighborhood.

The guy has 2 one Blue and 1 Yellow, will sell both as a package deal or the one in the yard is Yellow. Its the ScupperPro-TW version, hardly used, garage kept. The guy is a police oficer, outdoorsman, and keeps his stuff in great condition, asking $450.00
    If inetersetd it on SW 120th ave between SW 55th street and Stirling road Cooper City.

The comment about stuff always being wet, I never have that problem, I plugged the scuppers in the seat so my butt is not wet. Have a crate in the TankWell area with tripple rod holder mounted. The only time my stuff is wet is if it rains or I'm in some serious chop.
    I saw it hanging in his garage while walking the dog yesterday.. next time I see him I'll get contact info, but only run into him once in a while, he's a Police Officer and works wired days/nights/shifts.