Coast Guard Aux Question

MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
So on Saturday we went up to the local river and anchored just short of the popular sandbars. This is not a marked anchorage. The navigable part of the river where we anchored is about 200 yards wide. Arriving about 1 hour before high tide, I picked my anchorage area and went from one side to the other and picked a spot reading just over 6 foot on the transponder. I dropped anchor. The tide range is around 3-4 foot so I felt this as the best spot to avoid bumping aground when the tide dropped. This put me in the middle of the river, with about 100 yards either side of me.

I frequent this spot very regularly - in fact most weekends, and know the layout.

After about 30 minutes a CGA boat passes by. In the 11 years I have been going to this spot I have never seen them up there. It was probably because of the holiday weekend. As they pass by one of the six or so on board leans over the rail and shouts to me, "you should pick one side or the other to anchor!" They then move on.

My wife then turns to me and asks if we should move. I told her no. And explained my reason. She said someone in authority had told me to, and I advised her that they have zero authority. In fact when I was doing ny CGA class and they found out I had a suitable boat they asked me to join and use my boat! Regardless she was uncomfortable the rest of the afternoon.

The reason I gave her was this. I am the one responsible for the safety of the vessel and the crew. I made a judgement on where to best place my boat. I was causing no impediment or danger to any other boater. I further told her that I believed that the CGA guy was out of line. If I reacted to his direction and upped anchor, then any injury to a crew member in that act, or accident later caused to my boat or another (whether due to the repositioning or not) would make them open to liability.

Thoughts?
Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.

Replies

• JimmytalkJimmytalk Posts: 587 Officer
    Sound like you have sound judgement. If he had a better idea he should have stopped and offered it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    Trick question. Who has more authority over you, the CGA or a 911 operator?

With your Zimmerman post up to 289 pages I would think there is an answer in there.

It's all about maintianing station or holding ground.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • spinfreakspinfreak Posts: 5,204 Admiral
    By "navigable area", are you referring to just the depth, or is the 200 yards compromise of a marked channel. If depth, then I'd say you are in the right. If its a marked channel, then I believe you're in the wrong, as I don't believe anchoring in any channel is allowed
    Exiled Dungeon Master of The Freakshow :cool:
    YOU NEED PROFESSIONAL HELP! Seriously. Do it for yourself and loved ones. You have issues
  • hewes18hewes18 Posts: 757 Officer
    You can be anywhere you want unless posted no anchoring, states the law. But, you cannot impede of vessel traffic. So it all comes down to your common sense and the discretion of the Agency. and don't be fooled, regardless of Aux or not, they can call the real marine patrol and they will "ruin your picnic".
    tumblr_lkaudd2RQQ1qg6fb5.gif
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    I would think that the middle of any channel or river, whether marked or not, would not be a wise place to anchor.
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    Idlewilde wrote: »
    I would think that the middle of any channel or river, whether marked or not, would not be a wise place to anchor.

Like biking on a busy road. Legal, yep. Wise, no. Nothing wrong with anchoring on the edge of a channel.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    No channel folks, no markers, just a river.
  • FrisbeeFrisbee Posts: 2,315 Officer
    Join the Aux, then they will let you do whatever the ell you want
    Next question.
  • O.SEA.DO.SEA.D Posts: 647 Officer
    sounds very unprofessional for the USCG Aux. crew member to yell at you. If he had a issue with where you were he should have pulled up along side of you and talked to you in a professional manner and advised you that you should not anchor there and for what reasons.
    2011 Aeon Pro Guide 23'
    Etec 250
  • Depth ChargeDepth Charge Posts: 56 Deckhand
    Those clowns have absolutley no authority what so ever. I have politely and non politley asked them to leave and there is nothing they can do about it, they can call the USGC if they want but i let them know they better have **** good reason to bother the real men at work. They basically are a HOA on the water with nothing better to do then dress up in USCG costumes and pretend to show authority. For you a-hats that say well you would be real happy to see them if you were broken down, well keep your boat properly maitenenced, have two VHF's if yo travel out of cell phone range and renew your membership to Boat US or Tow Boat which are privately owned franchises.
    Those clowns have absolutley no authority what so ever. I have politely and non politley asked them to leave and there is nothing they can do about it, they can call the USGC if they want but i let them know they better have **** good reason to bother the real men at work. They basically are a HOA on the water with nothing better to do then dress up in USCG costumes and pretend to show authority. For you a-hats that say well you would be real happy to see them if you were broken down, well keep your boat properly maitenenced, have two VHF's if yo travel out of cell phone range and renew your membership to Boat US or Tow Boat which are privately owned franchises.

One can only assume that you are as strange as your reply.
  • DKDDKD Posts: 371 Officer
    How did you get from your boat to the sandbar? I would personally much rather check on my boat every few hours, and move as needed, than swim 100 yards, especially if you are swimming through an area where there is a lot of boat traffic. Even though it might be technically allowed, I try to avoid anchoring in areas that might disrupt boat traffic, even if they are not officially marked channels.
  • Depth ChargeDepth Charge Posts: 56 Deckhand
    Idlewilde wrote: »
    One can only assume that you are as strange as your reply.

One can only assune that you might be the Aux. clown that yelled at him.
    One can only assune that you might be the Aux. clown that yelled at him.

Nope. But I do respect um for putting in their time and trying.
    DKD wrote: »
    How did you get from your boat to the sandbar? I would personally much rather check on my boat every few hours, and move as needed, than swim 100 yards, especially if you are swimming through an area where there is a lot of boat traffic. Even though it might be technically allowed, I try to avoid anchoring in areas that might disrupt boat traffic, even if they are not officially marked channels.

RIB with 9.9 Yamaha kept on the foredeck.
    Pic from the West side of the river (entry), PASSAGE is the boat furthest away. Bank behind her, sandbar in front.

For overnight I lay down anchor, 10 foot chain and 50 foot rode.

PassageAnchorage.jpg
  • Feet1stShoesFeet1stShoes Posts: 148 Deckhand
    I went right by you on the way out in the afternoon. You were not blocking navigation. You obviously did a better job of anchoring than the drunk Sea Ray owner up by the entertainment barge. He was backed in and had both sterndrives stuck in the sand with the rear hull on the bottom at mid-outgoing tide. I wished I could have stayed longer!
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,278 Admiral
    Menzies was anchored fine.....plenty of room either side for safe passage by any vessel...I went by him earlier in the day. That part of the river isn't marked at all.

As a matter of fact I retrieved that CGA boat's heave-to line, later in the day, which somehow found it's way in the middle of all the boat traffic....I think the dude standing on the foredeck dropped it, poor guys were pulling anchor to chase it down in the tide.....they seemed nice enough though.

At least they were out there concerned...because that place turns into a zoo real quick....

Steve
    I was actually hailing you on 16 just after you passed to see if you wanted to drop by on your way back out when he shouted across to me as I was on the radio.

I didn't see you come back - did you go out the Hugonote side?
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,278 Admiral
    No I slipped past...and waved as I went by.....no radio on the little boat...that's the "Sneaky Snake".:grin

Steve
  • BigredoneBigredone Posts: 57 Deckhand
    I agree with O.SEA.D. If the CG Aux has something to say, stop and politely tell me, please.
  • optimistic Angleroptimistic Angler Posts: 600 Officer
    Menzies wrote: »
    If I reacted to his direction and upped anchor, then any injury to a crew member in that act, or accident later caused to my boat or another (whether due to the repositioning or not) would make them open to liability.

I don't think so.