Dania offshore Sat 5-26

bugdocbugdoc Posts: 421 Officer
Arrived at Dania in time for the 2nd shift with Quatin and launched about 6:15. The ExtremeKayakFishers were gone by 5:45. As we approached the 3rd reef, I used my ears as a fishfinder, as we could hear all the hooting and hollering from 1/2 mile away. By the time we got out to 200 feet they already had a King, a grouper and a blackfin. Current was about 1/2 mph to the north. Bonitos and tunas kept moving back and forth, so it was usually 2-4 hookups at a time, then quiet until the next wave. A couple of 15-20 lb blackfins were caught (not by me), videos likely coming later. I managed a baby almaco, 2 blue runners, 1 blackfin and a nice bonito (picture is fuzzy but it was my biggest fish today). Just about everything today was caught on speed jigs.

qd021.jpg

qd030.jpg

qd032.jpg

qd033.jpg

bugdoc
bugdoc

Southeast Florida kayak launch sites at http://www.floridakayaksites.info

Replies

• firesq5firesq5 Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    Man I envy you guys right now. I can't wait to get out there even if I just paddle around and not catch anything.
  • frankthetankfrankthetank Posts: 863 Officer
    good job yeaterday was crud with big swells and a dirty south current picked up a bft in 400ft next to a weedline but nothing much after except a cutoff.
    :fishing
    OCEAN KAYAK: PROWLER 13
  • newyorkernewyorker Posts: 125 Deckhand
    You guys in Dania always hook up to nice fish.. nice ! Met up with Captain Yak Saturday, we paddled out to 280ft off of Fort Lauderdale. Got two Almaco jacks (one keeper, yummy). My trolled mullet got stripped twice even with a stinger hook. Captain hooked up to a really nice fish that put up a sweet drag pulling symphony but unfortunately lost it practically at the boat. On the way out we ran across a large pod of dolphins (the mammal). They were all around us chasing bait, this was a first for me.. was pretty amazing. Great hooking up with you Captain.. cant wait to get out there again.. :fishing
  • SaltysackSaltysack Posts: 463 Officer
    Way to go Doc, nice catches there!
  • LivinthedreamLivinthedream Posts: 207 Officer
    Nice! It was a pleasure meeting you last weekend as well!
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    Nice seeing ya out there Bugdoc, It was a fun day for all of us. Every 10-20mins someone would yell "FISH-ON!"