Home Ask the Law!

Who In the Boat is Responsible for Undersized Possession???

2»

Replies

• Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    I accept your apology . Please try to exercise more self control in your future posts.

You misspelled my name,BTW. Its right there. You can cut and paste it using control c, control p, if you are too lazy to not know how to spell it , which I suspect you do.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    Actually he contributes a lot; unfortunately he has a low tolerance for some things......

Heck even I didn’t know the MP was gone I thought they were still around under the DEP their original role, since it doesn’t concern me I never gave it much thought.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • Capt M BrennanCapt M Brennan Posts: 488 Officer
    Actually, I saw a DEP enforcement officer at DeLeon Springs a couple of years ago. I didn't know they had an enforcement branch. Guess he was checking for the illegal use of sunblock. I hope they have done something with their choice of uniforms. This guy had a brown shirt, black trousers, Sam Browne belt and appeared well armed. I only saw him from a distance, but he reminded me of the 1930's newsreels from Germany. His vehicle was a black and brown (probably Crown Vic) sedan with DEP Enforcement on the side.
    Captain Mike Brennan
  • paddlejaxpaddlejax Posts: 229 Officer
    If you ask dumb questions, you get dumb answers. Obviously you know how to use the internet, so try doing some research before asking a question. And while I think comments like Gary's are unnecessary, to each his own.
    Oh and Gary, it's control v to paste, control p is print ;)
    True enough.
    :banghead

FMP officers were split between FWC and DEP. Agents uniforms are black and grey as are their vehicles, excepting the unmarked ones. Agents typically wear civilian clothes around the office.

Their function is to pursue environmental crime, which there is a lot more of than you would think there is. They are a very professional policing force and have to possess specialized knowledge of environmental law and earth sciences as well as criminal and traffic law.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • Fear KnotFear Knot Posts: 151 Officer
    True enough.
    :banghead

FMP officers were split between FWC and DEP. Agents uniforms are black and grey as are their vehicles, excepting the unmarked ones. Agents typically wear civilian clothes around the office.

Their function is to pursue environmental crime, which there is a lot more of than you would think there is. They are a very professional policing force and have to possess specialized knowledge of environmental law and earth sciences as well as criminal and traffic law.

I guess Speeding is an "environmental crime" now. See them all the time in Hobe sound nailing people for speeding...to much Co2 emmissions I guess.....
    There are very few DEP agents. None are assigned to traffic enforcement.

• Fear KnotFear Knot Posts: 151 Officer
    There are very few DEP agents. None are assigned to traffic enforcement.

Ive seen them on US 1 in Hobe Sound issuing tickets.......
    I will be happy to confirm their activities. Please post the dates and locations of your observations.

• Mako254Mako254 Posts: 64 Deckhand
    Park Patrol Officers are part of DEP and are authorized to enforce traffic laws, though they usually only do it in the state parks. In Hobe Sound, they're probably in Jonathan Dickenson State Park.
  • Worked with a great DEP officer on one of our last jobs on the edge of the everglades. His sole focus was to catch polluters in the area and he had a field day with that. He actually worked at times with Miami Dade organized crime task force on major pollution issues and continuing criminal ventures in the area. Full fledged LEO gun and fully armed.
  • VinesVines Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Yes, a non-owner of the vessel probably has been charged with the fish. Of course only if that person who is not the owner tells the officer he caught the fish. They always ask who caught em'. If not, then yes, it is the boat owner/operator (if your borrowing someones boat someone is in charge which is typically the operator) responsibilty for what is on their boat. Remember, it is not only harvesting the fish, it is also possession with most species. If no one say "yeah I caught em" then the boat owner is in possession becuase, well, its their boat
    Yes, a non-owner of the vessel probably has been charged with the fish. Of course only if that person who is not the owner tells the officer he caught the fish. They always ask who caught em'. If not, then yes, it is the boat owner/operator (if your borrowing someones boat someone is in charge which is typically the operator) responsibilty for what is on their boat. Remember, it is not only harvesting the fish, it is also possession with most species. If no one says "yeah I caught em" then the boat owner is in possession becuase, well, its their boat
    Its possession law. If there is illegal fish on the boat, and no one fesses up to cathcing them, its their boat, then they are in possession.
  • ChumSlickChumSlick Posts: 252 Officer
    Keep in mind they change the reulations quite often. I check for updates before every trip. Also I have had a fish shrink almost a half an inch after being on ice. so if the limit is 12" it better be 13" before it go's in my box. Like Gary said dont keep short fish and do your home work on the regulations. and dont fish with people that could put you in that situation. Believe me I dream of the day that I can harvest a Red Snapper or two :full..... But I value my fishing too much.
  • OFFSHORECHICKENOFFSHORECHICKEN Posts: 54 Deckhand
    THEY ASK WHO CAUGHT THE FISH AND THAT GUY IS RESPONSIBLE. IF NOONE CLAIMS THE FISH, WELL IT DIDNT GET THERE BY ITSELF, THERE ARE TIMES WHEN EVERYONE ON BOARD CAN GET A TICKET. OR JUST EXPECT A REALLY LONG INVESTIGATIVE STOP UNTIL SOMEONE FINALLY TELLS THE TRUTH OR HIS BUDDY RATS HIM OUT. QUIT BREAKING THE LAW AND IT SHOULDNT BE A PROBLEM FOR YOU.
    :grin
  • TeamTekeTeamTeke Posts: 984 Officer
    I agree that Gary does not treat some people with respect. There is no excuse for that. This forum has suffered because some posters are left confused and embarassed after asking polite and important questions to them.

I now have less respect for Gary because of the little game he has tried to play here.
    Happiness is the journey, not the destination.
    You wound me.

• Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,474 AG
    You wound me.
    Never even knew that was possible. :grin

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • shempshemp Posts: 613 Officer
    I thought any LEO could enforce traffic laws, but I don't know. Have seen FWC pull over people on the highway (but maybe they were suspected of illegal hunting?)

If somebody poached the fish, they should take the responsibility. Probably they'd only get one ticket, not two (undersized and over limit), but i reckon that's up to the LEO. I know of people who've made a choice to smuggle illicit fish (nothing commercial) and they would take the hit if caught

Users of fish and game, like golfers, should largely police themselves and know the rules of the game. Like golfers, though, too many cheat
  • capt-stabbincapt-stabbin Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Know your regulations and the agencies enforcing them , govern your actions accordingly and you need not concern yourself with your hypothetical scenarios.

In simpler terms, don't keep undersized or overlimit fish or hang around with people who do.

been off this forum for years, good to know that Gary is still a jerk.
  • capt-stabbincapt-stabbin Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    I accept your apology . Please try to exercise more self control in your future posts.

You misspelled my name,BTW. Its right there. You can cut and paste it using control c, control p, if you are too lazy to not know how to spell it , which I suspect you do.

trying to be funny i think, written humor isnt always the best, especially if you arent funny to begin with.