Tortola 5/29-6/3

WynWyn Posts: 53 Greenhorn
Never been there. Any advise on fishing while I'm there? I'll be on a 50' sail rental with the wifey. Never been on a sail boat. Its got a motor so I should be fine. I think I'll just keep the sails down. I'd like to fish if I can pull it off. Any suggestions, advice, etc. on fishing down there? What gear should I take where should I fish? Thanks

Replies

• palmettorespalmettores Posts: 86 Greenhorn
    Do you know much about specific types of fishing? Just got back from that general area. There will likely be tarpon around in the areas where you anchor. There are lots of other small fish you will generally busting bait on the surface in the mornings and evenings. You could take some stuff to throw at all of that. Or you could troll while traveling, in 20-150' for barracudas, jacks, etc. Or troll out on the North or South Drop (not far from land, often 5-15 miles) for mahi, tuna, wahoo, marlin etc. On Saturday we had a wahoo, mahi and two tuna in a boat the first 30 mins of trolling. But it was really rough and did not stay out longer.
  • WynWyn Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    I was thinking I would take a talica 16 and a couple of 50's. That way I could jig the bottom and then run out for tuna, dolphin, wahoo. How far is the drop from Anegada? Do you know where I can get a good chart of the area? Thanks for the help
    Don't know about charts though one of the guys on our trip downloaded one on his Ipad. I will try to ask what it was.

North drop is close to Anegada for sure. Just a few miles off the tip of the island as I recall. We caught tuna there and saw a sailfish in Feb. Did not fish up that way this last time. I did not go out the South from there but some good fishing that direction too I think.

Also have bone fishing at Anegada. You been there before?
  • WynWyn Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    I've never been there. I downloaded the Navionics on my iPad but no detail in that area. If you find out what your buddy used for that area please let me know. Can you fish the shallow reefs for yellow tail or are they protected. If so I will troll small 1/4 oz jigs while we're on the move.
    Navx is what he said he was using. I am not aware of protected species but I did not look into that really.