Yuri Trip 5/7 - 5/10

When you have a Yuri trip booked it is hard to sleep the week before, at least for me. Particularly because the weather the week before was 4-6 ft seas and 15 -20 knot winds which is hard fishing and not very comfortable. The seas the whole trip was 1ft or less as you can see in the picture of Al with one of his Kingfish. Three of the six parties on this trip went down early on the 6th in the hopes of securing bait. Glenn unfortunately was hit broad side and his car was disable which put a wrench in the bait situation. Both he and Jerry and the driver of the other car were just fine. So fortunately Al was in the area and had a big truck to pick them and all there gear so the trip was still on. Mike and I were arriving Monday morning to meet at the boat. Nick the other fisherman was with the other group. He had secured some bait for us that was so needed. I have only fished with Al so it was really nice to meet so other fisherman with the bug. We left the dock at 2pm and headed out to the ultimate in bottom fishing grounds. We trolled a little on the way out and started the day with a nice Mahi that came unglued about 10 ft from the boat. Next up was a really nice Blackfin Tuna that topped out at 31lbs. We were hoping for more Tuna but no luck. We pulled the lines and headed to the bottom fishing. First spot produced the bounty we were after. Mutton Snappers. Yuri jumped over the side and took a few video's here is one.[video=facebook;3602143045526]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3602143045526[/video]

We put some nice fish in the box here. We moved to another spot after a short time. The best thing about fishing with Yuri is, if nothing is happening he is moving on to the next spot. The next spot it really turned on and everybody was bringing fish up. It was really awesome to fish with this crew because you never had to worry about losing a fish if you had color somebody had a gaff in there hand.
We ate well as Al, and Glenn had brought dinner for 2 nights and we had fish the other which the Captain cooked for us.
Al and I fished most of the night as anglers dwindled and finally I left Al by himself at the rail. I am very impressed with his endurance.

We woke up after a few hours and Al made breakfast for the whole crew which we were grateful to enjoy and after I did the dishes I was right back on the rail. The day bite was much slower with the occasional good fish coming over the rail but, the last stop for dinner it was on fire. There were fish all over the deck as there was no time to mark your fish and open the cooler. We filled 2 large 250 Qt coolers with fish and asked the Captain where we could put more fish and he said you didn't fill both of those coolers. He opened both coolers and the surprise on his face was really awesome to see. You know he has seen a lot over 15years of charters.
We fished a couple more spots before the boat anchored for the night but it was nothing like the dinner bite. We fished the next morning and had a good run of yellow tail for about a hour and I got a real nice Mutton out of the chum slick. The day bite was slow and we were off to deep drop for tiles which I had never done so I was looking forward to this experience. We ran into a nice school of Mahi on the way out to 900 ft and put a couple in the box, We should have had more but I think not knowing each other well the Chinese fire drill was pretty disorganized. The deep drop reels were really awesome as I would not want to try to bring up a tile fish on a conventional reel from that depth. only got four tiles as we were late getting to the deep water.
We went back in to shallow water for dinner from Glenn. We were back on the rail after dinner but had really missed the dinner bite as it was dark by then. We fished for the rest of the night with only putting a few good fish in the box. The battles with the nurse sharks were epic. You would fight them to the boat to regain your line and hopefully your lead as we went through a lot of lead. Al had a fish rock him up we were sure it was a Black Grouper, he put his rod in the rail backed off the drag and went and ate dinner and his fish came out and he got it up and it was a nice big Mutton. Al also landed a couple kings and a Barracuda that provided fresh bait for many anglers. I also caught my biggest Cuda to date. This is my new friend Mike wearing one his own shirts. He is a artist that is his art on his back. I liked it so much I ordered some for me. Blueislandgrahics.com
Here is the best thing of the trip for me. My favorite reel broke and I showed it to Yuri. He said let me look at it. I went out and was fishing another rod and reel and came back in to get a drink and here is Yuri with my reel in a million pieces on the table. I'm shocked, I said I thought you were just going to look at it. I am he say's. I got my favorite reel back in service and that truly made my trip. There is something about the feel of your favorite rod and reel that you have the most confidence in that you feel like that if there is a bite I am going to land it. He also fixed a rod tip for Mike as well. I called him Superman the rest of the trip.

Here is his website for those who are interested. http://www.tortugasfishing.com/home.html
Low Sea's, High Tides, Fish On

Replies

• SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,408 Officer
    Nice report! Looks like perfect weather too. Yuri trips really are special. Great captain great guy.
  • duke6543duke6543 Posts: 336 Deckhand
    Awsome report guys. I know what you mean when you talked about loosing sleep before the trip. There is not a day that goes by I'm not thinking about the next one. Thanks for sharing this report. Good job.....
  • globalwavetrackerglobalwavetracker Posts: 239 Deckhand
    Nice to get into at least one open bite. That really makes the trip outstanding and real memorable. Awesome 2-250qt in one round.
  • Redcross33Redcross33 Posts: 70 Greenhorn
    I really have to do that trip. Nice fish.
  • TipboneTipbone Posts: 190 Officer
    Great Job! Got my first Yuri Trip booked next year!
  • capciofficapcioffi Posts: 825 Officer
    Nice trip, I am keeping my fingers crossed that we are going the first weekend in August. I am up here in Jacksonville and we can not fish past 240 feet for bottom fish. What are the rules down there, I have never caught a tile and really want one.
  • globalwavetrackerglobalwavetracker Posts: 239 Deckhand
    Capcioffi: The South Atlantic Ban on fishing 240' had been lifted. In our previous trip with Yuri we fished the Gulf and had our hands full on Tiles and Snowy, definitely very productive. Schedule your trip accordingly to the moon phase to enhance your deep drop options.

:)Effective May 10, 2012, a federal ban on recreational and commercial fishing for deep-water snapper and grouper in depths greater than 240 feet in the South Atlantic is no longer in effect. Since going into effect on January 31, 2011, this closure had a significant economic impact on businesses throughout the South Atlantic region.

capcioffi wrote: »
    Nice trip, I am keeping my fingers crossed that we are going the first weekend in August. I am up here in Jacksonville and we can not fish past 240 feet for bottom fish. What are the rules down there, I have never caught a tile and really want one.
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Posts: 2,608 Captain
    capcioffi wrote: »

capcioffi... You are allowed to fish beyond 240' up there off Jax. The Red Snapper fishery is closed, but the rest is open now that they've lifted the 240' closure...and you are required to use circle hooks in the Snapper/Grouper fishery. If you want more info on that fishery up there, let me know and we can start a thread in the NE General Section of the forum so we don't get this thread off track. :wink

Spoonman...Great trip!! :beer

Rob
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 5,528 Admiral
    Great report! Just got back from a Yuri trip myself last night. Limited out on grouper. We did pretty good on deep dropping. Had a good snapper bite on Friday night mainly flag YT's. The mutton bite was slow but we managed to catch 15. Topped off the coolers with schoolie dolphin. Saturday night was pretty slow with the wind picking up. The trip was delayed by half a day due to a prop needing repair before we left. Managed to have a good time on Duval street that night while waiting for the repair.:drink

Despite the weather conditions Saturday night and the prop repair, Yuri made it an outstanding trip.

Will post some pics when I get them.
  • SpoonmanSpoonman Posts: 55 Deckhand
    Yuri had gone overboard to check the prop on that video I put up there. Good job on the groupers. We got a few but nothing near our limit, but we put our share of Muttons in the coolers.
    Low Sea's, High Tides, Fish On
  • AlwaysforwardAlwaysforward Posts: 1,512 Captain
    Congrats on an epic trip for sure Richard. Thanks for the link and love all the pics and video. :thumbsup
    ALWAYSFORWARD, NEVER STRAIGHT...

Truckdecal-signature.jpg
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 5,528 Admiral
    Yuri knew that a black was cutting us off constanly so he broke out his tackle to catch it, we ended up catching it on some light tackle -

Yuri after his defeat -

Yuri.jpg

Us with the prize -

YuriBlack.jpg

:grin