Home Shimano

Older Calcutta 700 question...

ChumSlickChumSlick Posts: 252 Officer
I have the older Calcutta 700 and I tend to over fill my spool because I get better distance casting for some reason. The line guide is too small (short) on this reel. When casting or reeling in a fish the braided line cuts into the line guide to the point I have to replace it. Is there a fix for this? And before you say don't overfill the spool it still cuts into the guide even if its a little under full. Is there a taller line guide that will fit this reel?

Replies

• bantam1bantam1 Posts: 541 Officer
    Do you make sure to keep the line through the line guide even if you are not using the reel? I ask because this reel has a non disengaging level wind. If you cut the line and reel it up when not is use it will cause alignment issues. This will cause the line cuts.
  • ChumSlickChumSlick Posts: 252 Officer
    bantam1 wrote: »
    Do you make sure to keep the line through the line guide even if you are not using the reel? I ask because this reel has a non disengaging level wind. If you cut the line and reel it up when not is use it will cause alignment issues. This will cause the line cuts.

It stays rigged up until I change the line. Seems to stay in line. There is just constant pressure on the top portion of the line guide and it cuts into the plastic. And also with the tension it effects the casting distance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
  • bantam1bantam1 Posts: 541 Officer
    If you have the reel overspooled then yes it will add tension to the line guide. The line guide is only so tall and the correct height for the spool diameter. Once you add to the dimension it will add tension. Does that make sense?