Ft. Desoto area fishing advice

I haven't been down to fish in a while. my pops died and Im coming down may 5-12 with my wife to help my mom clean out her apt on 1st st in stpete and was hoping to catch a fish. thinking about renting a canoe and fishing around the backwaters in the ft. desoto area. I used to cast off shore there and catch trout and flounder but not sure now what would be the best. Anybody have a suggestion for this time of year.I live in northern michigan and we are catching steelhead and morels now so looking to catch something from the saltwater side soon.

Replies

• thefuzz253thefuzz253 Posts: 57 Deckhand
    Sorry to hear about your Dad. You can cast net for some bait (greenies) from the pier near Mullet Key and then wade fish from shore. You can catch trout, snook and reds.
  • troutchasertroutchaser Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    thanks for the advice and the condolences he was the man responsible for me becoming a fishing fanatic. I miss him a bunch. Anyhow I was thinking about a canoe because my wife is a city slicker from amarillo and she is not to excited about wading but she is willing to canoe. Go figure cause i am known for tipping canoes but anyhow good idea or not so good? Any rental places better than others? thanks John
  • barrynflabarrynfla Posts: 592 Officer
    What about renting a kayak or two kayaks? They're pretty stable.
  • DogmanDogman Posts: 450 Deckhand
    +1 for they kayak idea. My wife liked mine so much I had to buy her one of her own. You've been warned :wink
    2013 Native Watercraft Slayer 14.5 (Sand) - His
    2010 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 (Mango) - Hers
    Is there going to be better fishing in either boat rather than casting from shore or a pier
    For fishing a kayak is far superior when compared to a canoe. I tried to tip mine last year just to see where the tipping point was and I had to practically have my entire upper body 75% hanging over the side before it would go and I'm not a small guy. The sit on top style is excellent for fishing. It is comfortable and easy to learn. There is no worries about swamping it since most are self bailing. My wife is only like 5' and she had no trouble paddling my kayak even though it was big and the paddle was far too long for her. I take my kids with me some time too. They love to sit in the back cargo area and watch the fish swim by. I would highly recommend you give it a try while you are at Ft. Desoto. There are some amazing areas to explore even if you don't fish. I think there is a rental place in the park that rents kayaks. Maybe someone that has rented from there or knows about it can chime in.
    great sounds like fun if someone has rented kayaks in the ft. desoto area maybe they will let me know. what cool thing are there to see while out there on a kayak. I am a little concerned about getting lost on the water is the that a legitimate concern or is it pretty simple to navigate while out on the water. thanks for the tips
    As long as you don't venture too far out into the bay or gulf there is no chance you should get lost. The park is huge with lots of little islands. Pull it up on Google maps and you can have a look at it. I think it would be pretty tough to get lost there.
  • willwork4duckswillwork4ducks Posts: 65 Deckhand
    The rental place in ft desoto has Ocean Kayaks that have amazing stability. I fish from one and can attest to sitting with my legs hanging over the side while casting. I even stand up when im feeling brave (or hung in a mangrove) I have even watched a buddy throw a 10' cast net from one.

I would go with two singles as opposed to one tandem. They are sometimes called divorce boats.

I would go with the kayak but I have also lent my 14'6" canoe to some family friends when they were there and they were able to drift the flats and catch trout and flounder.

Very sorry to hear about your father. Glad his passion still lives through you.
    Thanks for the thoughts . We fished the skyway last nite just pinfish and grunts saw a few flounder caught and lots of blue crab caught no big fish used shrimp squid and pinfish for bait fished til 12 where to next?
    Is there a party boat that takes groups of people out fishing for like 30 bucks a person somewhere in this area I remember doing that years ago with dad and gramps
    Hubbard's Marine has a party boat. I don't think it is $30 anymore though. It leaves out of John's Pass.
    Fishing was slow but fun . There has been huge 30 lb plus snook all week at the wall by the pool could never get them to bite. Watched them chase bait for hours netted the bait and they wouldn't touch it. Frustrating but fun. Caught lots of runners at the st pete pier and played with the dolphins at ft desoto. Great week now going to get some morel mushrooms in the morning out back here in michigan.thanks for all the tips and well wishes.