Home General Freshwater Fishing

Frog fishing??

Decided to give the Horny toad a try this spring. I've had pretty good success going thru 2 and a 1/2 bags of toads this weekend with about 8 bass to show for my efforts. One of my main frustrations has been that gar love the frogs too, and distroyed about half my frogs.

So here's my question do the hallow body frogs hold up to the beating from toothy fish. Don't know if the fish will like them as well but I'm getting tired of changeing gar chewed baits

I have also noticed that the zoom toads got more bites over all but some Gander Mountian frogs with the bigger noisyer boot shaped feet got strikes from larger fish but fewer pops from small fish.

So how do you fish your frogs.

Replies

• Captain Shane ProcellCaptain Shane Procell Posts: 371 Officer
    I love frog fishing. I used to use a Zoom Horny Toad untill I was introduced to the JD'sCustomBaits 4-3/4" buzz frog. Way more noise and better bubble trail, plus it tough as they come since it is made with a saltwater grade rubber. You can buy them online by googling them.

If gar are eating your frog then you may want to speed up your retrieve. You can always tell its a gar tracking by the narrow wake it puts off.

The hollow frogs will hold up for awhile but eventually if you get enough holes in it....it will get heavy with water and loose it's effectiveness.

Good luck!
  • Bass2bucksBass2bucks Posts: 654 Officer
    I used to fish the horny toads too and still do occasionally however you will NOT be dissapointed with the JDs Custom Baits frogs. They are a tough frog and the action they put out is 10 times better than a horny toad.
  • GITBITGITBIT Posts: 31 Deckhand
    Thanks for the input guys:thumbsup

Anybody got an opinion on hollow frogs verses solid plastic horny toad type baits?
  • Bass2bucksBass2bucks Posts: 654 Officer
    Well the hollow body frogs only down fall is it gets destroyed over time and fills up with water and at that point becomes useless. Koppers LiveTarget makes an awesome hollow body frog though.
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,412 Admiral
    I prefer buzz frogs over hollow body frogs also ,3.5" stanley ribbits.
    Loveing the frog and fishing on fridays.

3-30-12007.jpg
  • cuckoocuckoo Posts: 110 Deckhand
    2nd the Ribbits... Fished a scum frog for a bit without success. As they say fish with what you have confidence in...
    God is great... Beer is good... And people are crazy!
    I fished a hallow floating frog for a while the same day with no strikes. I think it would be good when you need a slower presintation over floating grass, I hung it several times in heavy pads and grass.
    The sound and action of the feet on the swimming frogs really seems to trigger the fish. TOAD RAGE!! They just seem to want to kill it sometimes.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 13,831 AG
    I fish Ht's as well with great success. If i want/need to slow it down I'll go to a spro frog. I hook HT's a little different than most. I use a #5 eagle claw hook with the weed clip. I hook the frog from the underside and come out between the eyes. doing this the hook point is facing up and the fish get hooked 99% of the time behind the bone in the top lip. I also crimp down the barbs on the shank for smoother glide over vegetation.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    Do you throw the weedless hook rig in heavy pads and other thick cover? Sounds interesting.
    GITBIT wrote: »
    Do you throw the weedless hook rig in heavy pads and other thick cover? Sounds interesting.

yes. the only thing about the pads is the V in them but you can guide it around them for the most part. I'll throw this bait in the thickest of cover there is except for the pads that are above the water. Any pad that is flush with the water is game on. I'll try to remember to take a pic and post it.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • RiffRaffRiffRaff Posts: 42 Greenhorn
    I used to fish a lake which half of it was covered by pads flush with the surface and brought the biggest bass of my life (11-12lb snapped line at the side of the canoe) on a Scum Rat. I caught a ton of fish on the rat there, but never quite had the same success anywhere else. It almost seemed to do best in the middle of the day even in 95 degree heat.
    I throw my frog in the thick stuff as long as I see water under it. Broke off my 50lb braid this weekend on a fish in some thick stuff, I think I had a bad spot.
    The bite does seem to get better at mid-day some times.

As a teenager I had access to a small pond covered with pads. Caught bass every time I went there and broke off quite a few.
  • FishaHallicFishaHallic Posts: 660 Officer
    GITBIT wrote: »
    Thanks for the input guys:thumbsup

Anybody got an opinion on hollow frogs verses solid plastic horny toad type baits?

IMO they are 2 totally different baits for different uses. I will use a hollow body frog when fishing around cover (cattails, pads, hyacinths and grass or trees) but the zoom horny toad type frogs are more of a buzz bait type bait in my opinion to be used in grass, over hydrilla and around the cover like I mentioned for hollow body frogs but worked much faster, more like a buzz bait. They both have there own times when they should be used but I keep a hollow body frog rigged at all times because I love fishing them and my frog of choice for that type is the Booyah Pad crasher.

Good luck
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,546 Captain
    The Horny Toad is pretty effective dead sticking to the bottom too. It's good sport watching that line go off at an odd angle.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,956 Captain
    I have a "Spro" brand frog. I caught a 4 pounder in thick pads a couple of weeks ago on it. I have never fished topwater, or at least never had much success with it, but this thing blasted it hard. I think the hollow plastic would be tougher than the soft plastics, because the plastic will just fold away from the teeth of the pickerel/gar and such, exposing the hooks. They are about 5 bucks, give one a try.
  • waterman944waterman944 Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    The Ribbits rock!!
    SPRO forgs are good to. I use them when the fish want a slower presentation. The last 3 trips have produced good numbers of fish but nothing over 4.bs. 2 of us caught 9 last Sunday morning, 14 yesterday afternoon and 8 this morning. gold/black rapala and HT's were the baits used.
  • spadoc79spadoc79 Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    i used a hollow frog in thick pads, over grass(shallow and deep), and spread out pads today in mid afternoon(2pm-4pm) and not one hit on it. not sure if i was doing something wrong or if the bass just had lock jaw today.
    The frog bite has pretty much died on my water. Dropping water levels and fish moveing deeper after the spawn I guess.
    If I was searching for fish in vegatation I would throw the Horny toad type baits over the floating frogs. You keep the toads moveing and cover more water. When you find some fish and need to slow down or tease them in to biteing then I would switch over to the hollow floater.
    Had a trip a couple weeks ago where the bass didn't really want the frog but would hammer a worm fished slow.