Home Tropics

Bahamas Customs fees? Did I miss something?

Jagsare1Jagsare1 Posts: 211 Deckhand
Paid for the boat and expected another $20 for the 5th person in our group even though I cannot find this in writing anywhere. Instead, they charged me $40 for the 5th person. Any idea of an up-to-date fee schedule so you could get an idea of what to expect? Just gets annoying to get charged something different everytime.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    What island? Walkers guy expects a tip.
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    I believe I have heard of some customs stations allowing 3 people per boat, then 20 for each other person, particularly in WE. Not had that in Bimini fwiw. Don't sweat the small stuff, you're in the islands!
  • Jagsare1Jagsare1 Posts: 211 Deckhand
    It was West End. It is small stuff, I just don't like surprises. I felt taken advantage of from the minute I got there because of it. It would seem to be a fair expectation that their fees are published and adhered to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • 001001 Posts: 4,292 Captain
    The last time I went I was hit with similar stuff. It changed to $150 for 3 and $20 for every extra person.
  • edkedk Posts: 38 Greenhorn
    Jagsare1 wrote: »
    Paid for the boat and expected another $20 for the 5th person in our group even though I cannot find this in writing anywhere. Instead, they charged me $40 for the 5th person. Any idea of an up-to-date fee schedule so you could get an idea of what to expect? Just gets annoying to get charged something different everytime.

The fees went up last year. It's now $25 for every person after three. You got a deal if they only charged $20 :) It's on the bahamas.com website:

http://www.bahamas.com/bahamas/procedures-entering-bahamas-1
    Entry Fees:

All boaters entering The Bahamas are required to pay an entry fee.
    a) For boats up to 35', the fee is $150.00
    b) For boats over 35', the fee is $300.00
    The fees will cover:

1) Cruising Permit
    2) Fishing Permit
    3) Departure Tax for up to three (3) persons. Each additional person above three will be charged a $25 departure tax (from Grand Bahama Island this tax is $28 for each additional person above three departing). This fee is good for a second re-entry within a 90-day period.

Ed
  • snookyjsnookyj Posts: 1,687 Officer
  • Jagsare1Jagsare1 Posts: 211 Deckhand
    Thanks Ed. There is so much old info on the web that it is hard to find sometimes. I know the permit is good for 90 days...but do you have to have the paperwork? My crew threw it away, not sure if we could have gone anyway but they threw the paperwork away.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    Thanks Ed. There is so much old info on the web that it is hard to find sometimes. I know the permit is good for 90 days...but do you have to have the paperwork? My crew threw it away, not sure if we could have gone anyway but they threw the paperwork away.

Maybe you should get a more responsible crew. :grin
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,127 Admiral

yes you need the paper work, i think they attach the old one to the paper work they send up the chain allong with money for entrys and duties. in order to show why they did not collect 150/300 for the new cruising permit.

and dont forget the carbon paper for those duplicates forms
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,666 Captain
    you need the old one to get a free new one.

• heatzheatz Posts: 104 Officer
    alacrity wrote: »
    you need the old one to get a free new one.

so, within 90 days, I still need to check in and get new paperwork, but can I fish on the way over ?
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,214 AG
    They should staple a reciept onto your Cruising Permit showing that you've "paid" the first time. On your second visit, you may have different crew but it must be the same boat and the same skipper. On the second visit, they most likley will write "# 2" on the reciept.

I keep all my paperwork in a gallon zip-loc and after I clear, that stays where I store it on the boat........

Before you depart Florida, ensure that everyone has their passport and cash.......
    Cytranic wrote: »
    No you cannot fish on the way over even within the 90 days. You must clear first.

Actually you can fish on the way over. What you can't do is fish in Bahamian waters, nor can you show up with fish aboard. If I catch a cuda coming out of Hillsboro Inlet on the way to Bimini, that's "legal". What is not legal is showing up to clear Customs in Bimini with that cuda on the boat.....
  • donhdonh Posts: 130 Deckhand
    can you clear customs with a drivers license and birth certificate if you cross on a private boat still or is a passport manditory with no exceptions..
  • GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    donh wrote: »
    can you clear customs with a drivers license and birth certificate if you cross on a private boat still or is a passport manditory with no exceptions..

I believe some confusion on this occurred with the Immigration people in Bimini who were taking drivers license and birth certificate for a period of time, but you can basically not travel anyplace outside of the US today sans passport.
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    donh wrote: »

Clearing Bahamina customs, yes. Getting back into the US, need a passport.
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
    Cytranic wrote: »
    Although I wouldn't keep a cuda ;)

GREAT deep dropping bait!