Boattronics Cobia Report 4/29

Had the day off and tried the Cobia thing today since Grouper wont be open till Tue. What a trip. Had Luis, Tony (Cobia Master), Slick, Townsend and Darnelle on the Undecided. Started off with Tony not declaring for the Cobia tournament by mistake and about to be thrown off the boat by Townsend lol. Hit up some Arbys on the way to the ramp for some Beef and Cheddars, B&M and then launched and went south. Found some rays and managed to snag at least 4;decorating them with some colorful hood ornaments. Caught two dinks and managed to scare the crap out of a little Triple Tail. Winds picked up in the afternoon and made it difficult to see anything especially with the Dollar Tree shades on. Still found a couple Pogie Pods back up north by the Jetties with no fish on them. Tony tried to belly flop on a ray unsuccessfully but downright hilarious and the highlight of the day in my opinion. For a slow day of fishing we had a fun time. Here is a pic of our trip.

Tony beat me to the beanbag. When I think of Cobia fishing for now on this image will be in my head forever!
154699_600823742756_51501716_31649509_1660498060_n.jpg

We have a video of the belly flop but I cannot figure out how to post it. Tony need some assistance.

Replies

• THROWING STONESTHROWING STONES Posts: 197 Officer
    sounds like a good time
  • BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,098 Admiral
    Summed it up sunday pretty good Sean.... saturday we had much better fishing conditions though, and found the fish. I spotted a cobe in a pod, and tossed it my chartruese squid tipped jig. He turned his nose to that, and Luis (Topwater Ted, now known as Spanish Jesus, pronounced "Hayzoose") made a perfect cast with a poggie and it ate! We were just talking about cobia coming straight to the boat sometimes..... and how if you gaff them the moment before they see the boat the first time, you can gaff em green and avoid a lengthy fight. Well he did just that, and came straight to the boat. I had a long gaff, and reached out as far as I could with my feet off the deck to gaff him. Well that was a stupid move! Lacking any control, the gaff bounced off of the fish, and I nearly caught the line. Somehow, the fish stayed pinned to the jig though. Some 40 minutes later, Luis had the fish boatside again and we made our shot.... BOXED!
    Luis' FIRST cobia, what a stud!
    P4270188.jpg

This was our day one of the tourney, and was the biggest fish wieghed so far, (45.5) untill Ryan came in later with a 49lb stud.
    P4270191.jpg

Like Sean said, I forgot to declare us for sunday, and Chris was pretty upset, with good reason. He gave me the chance to redeem myself, if I could jump on a mantas back, so I went for it. Twice. I gotta run for now, but Ill come back and post more pics and vids later! Oh yea, I also got some video of what must have been some kinda military craft or something, blazed right past our bow at such incredible speeds I could harly train the camera on it!
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
  • sea slicksea slick Posts: 52 Deckhand
    Yes what a trip I shall say. Combinations of Beef and cheddars, Natty Lites, Red,white and blues, Rays decorated like xmas trees, Gangsta rap,New fishing hat design (which me and sean will be patenting soon), etc,etc. All and all a good day of friends and nice weather to be had and back to the grind today!! The video should be priceless and hats off to Tony for being a good sport and having to redeem himself!!
  • ElementElement Posts: 1,749 Officer
    seanhev77 wrote: »
    Had the day off and tried the Cobia thing today since Grouper wont be open till Tue. What a trip. Had Luis, Tony (Cobia Master), Slick, Townsend and Darnelle on the Undecided. Started off with Tony not declaring for the Cobia tournament by mistake and about to be thrown off the boat by Townsend lol. Hit up some Arbys on the way to the ramp for some Beef and Cheddars, B&M and then launched and went south. Found some rays and managed to snag at least 4;decorating them with some colorful hood ornaments. Caught two dinks and managed to scare the crap out of a little Triple Tail. Winds picked up in the afternoon and made it difficult to see anything especially with the Dollar Tree shades on. Still found a couple Pogie Pods back up north by the Jetties with no fish on them. Tony tried to belly flop on a ray unsuccessfully but downright hilarious and the highlight of the day in my opinion. For a slow day of fishing we had a fun time. Here is a pic of our trip.

Tony beat me to the beanbag. When I think of Cobia fishing for now on this image will be in my head forever!
    154699_600823742756_51501716_31649509_1660498060_n.jpg

We have a video of the belly flop but I cannot figure out how to post it. Tony need some assistance.

I like the guy standing on the gunwale still on the lookout (feet in the left if the pic)... Ive spent alot of hours in that position. SOunds liek a fun trip gotta be in it to win it.
  • Slug-OSlug-O Posts: 3,016 Captain
    Inquiring minds want to know more about this high-speed, top-secret vessel that did a flyby on your boat???!!!!
    USCG Licensed and Insured Charter Capt. PRIME TIME CHARTERS 904-591-8906 ICW and Back Waters fishing. Palmvalleycharters.com
  • knotenoughknotenough Posts: 936 Officer
    I wonder if this high speed vessel was the same one that impressed us as we made our way back into the Jetties as it blew past us on the rip..........
  • reelhookerreelhooker Posts: 644 Officer
    Nice fishing guys. I saw you at the gas station before you guys has went out. Way to go. And noboby F**ks with the Jesus.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0CcB-sHGkE
  • Gettin' JiggyGettin' Jiggy Posts: 135 Officer
    Sunday sucked out there for sure. All we had to show for the day was a Dink that we couldn't even show! Did finally get to meet Slug-O in person though. Saw a big mantee back at the marina that was a pretty good end to a bad day of fishing...
    Capt. Cris Howell
    318cc Edgewater
    sea slick wrote: »
    Yes what a trip I shall say. Combinations of Beef and cheddars, Natty Lites, Red,white and blues, Rays decorated like xmas trees, Gangsta rap,New fishing hat design (which me and sean will be patenting soon), etc,etc. All and all a good day of friends and nice weather to be had and back to the grind today!! The video should be priceless and hats off to Tony for being a good sport and having to redeem himself!!

Thanks bro.... Im still trying to get the vid from Darnelle. Watched it on facebook, pretty funny stuff.
    Element wrote: »
    I like the guy standing on the gunwale still on the lookout (feet in the left if the pic)... Ive spent alot of hours in that position. SOunds liek a fun trip gotta be in it to win it.

Thats Topwater. That pic does me no justice lol.... I napped for like 30 minutes! Besides that, I was precariously perched on top of the hard top the rest of the day, but Topwater got up there with me too. He works hard, and that is why he always gets another invite!
    Slug-O wrote: »
    Inquiring minds want to know more about this high-speed, top-secret vessel that did a flyby on your boat???!!!!
    knotenough wrote: »
    I wonder if this high speed vessel was the same one that impressed us as we made our way back into the Jetties as it blew past us on the rip..........

Havnt loaded it on youtube yet, so click on this image to watch the video. I played it back in slow motion and figured out what it is. My video software clocked it at 70mph.

th_P4280201.jpg
    reelhooker wrote: »
    Nice fishing guys. I saw you at the gas station before you guys has went out. Way to go. And noboby F**ks with the Jesus.

Why didnt you say hello?
    Sunday sucked out there for sure. All we had to show for the day was a Dink that we couldn't even show! Did finally get to meet Slug-O in person though. Saw a big mantee back at the marina that was a pretty good end to a bad day of fishing...

Bummer. We would have declared as well but someone forgot to. Worked out in our favor though, lol! Sorry about your luck Chris, meeting Slug-O and all. Seriously though, you gotta watch out for that guy, his enthusiasm is highly contagious!
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
  • pilingjunkypilingjunky Posts: 2,044 Officer
    My boy was gettin it! Nice work guys!
  • Slug-OSlug-O Posts: 3,016 Captain
    Ha,!!!!!! I know that guy!!!!!! That guy loves to catch cobia. I loved the belly flop dive on the ray. I heard it went off yesterday again in the bait pods.
    cdb1d2ad.jpg
    USCG Licensed and Insured Charter Capt. PRIME TIME CHARTERS 904-591-8906 ICW and Back Waters fishing. Palmvalleycharters.com
    Nice still shot Leon.... dang you were haulin'!

Anyway, I got the manta ray vid from Darnelle today. Too bad she pans away right when I jump on it, but you get the point. Attempt number two wasnt filmed. Im gonna ride one of those bad boys into the sunset next time, lol.

(Click to watch video)
    th_IMG_0313.jpg
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
  • SaltwaterMarshSaltwaterMarsh Posts: 266 Officer
    nicely done tony ill give ya a 8.7
  • BadfishBadfish Posts: 1,078 Officer
    that's pretty funny....can you last 8 seconds?
  • knotenoughknotenough Posts: 936 Officer
    Wow....... no Steve Irwin flashbacks BEFORE jumping?
  • nitroskiffnitroskiff Posts: 1,623 Captain
    Tony.... LMAO. That was funny!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Nitro Performance Bass Boats
  • Boating BumBoating Bum Posts: 34 Deckhand
    knotenough wrote: »
    Wow....... no Steve Irwin flashbacks BEFORE jumping?

Good Point - Some people just don't think first of the what if's.
    I'm just glad that he didn't experience the same result as Steve.
    Do you want to fish but can't afford to go by yourself or do you just want to go on somebody elses boat and share the expenses, if so then check out this site to see what is available in your area. www availableangler com
  • dlagatordlagator Posts: 790 Officer
    I think Steve Erwin was hit by a stingray...Tony was tryin to saddle up on a manta ray. I guess that ray will forever be spooked...