Home Ask the Law!

2 day bag limit?

ReelaxationReelaxation Posts: 13 Greenhorn
Can you keep a 2 day bag limit if you are going on an over night trip and will be out for longer than 24 hrs... The boat is a 38ft sportfish with full cabin ie. A.C. Bathroom with toilet and shower, kitchen with micro fridge and freezer, ice maker, microwave and convection oven. And sleeps 6 people.

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,016 Moderator
    Not unless it's a charterboat, under charter, and each passenger has a receipt for the cost of the charter in their possession. Specifically, the second portion of the middle paragraph below
    Ask FWC wrote:
    Can I keep 2 days bag limit on a multi-day fishing trip?
    Answer ID 2011 | Published 01/10/2006 11:19 AM | Updated 03/30/2012 02:16 PM

I will be on a multi-day fishing trip on my boat. Can I keep my bag limit for each day until I return to the dock?

The daily bag limits set by Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) rule for fishing are for a calendar day (24 hour period from midnight to midnight). These limits are also possession limits. Therefore, it is illegal to possess more than one day's bag limit "while in, on, or above the waters of the state or on any dock, pier, bridge, beach, or other fishing site adjacent to such waters" with regard to most species. Once you have caught and possess the bag limit for a species, you may not harvest more of that species until the next 24 hour period. It is illegal to take the catch to shore and then return to the sea to harvest another daily bag limit during the same calendar day.

Florida reef fish regulations [68B-14.0036 (8) (a) and (b)] have some specific exceptions to the general rule stated above. Specifically, the reef fish (grouper, snapper, amberjack) rule allows the possession of 2 days bag limit for one who has fished for more than one day ”once such person has landed the fish, departed the fishing site and is no longer within 100 yards of any state waters, docks, fishing piers, or other fishing sites”. This rule also allows a person fishing from a headboat or charter boat on a trip that spans more than 24 hours to possess 2 days bag limit provided the vessel has a sleeping berth for each passenger and the passenger has a receipt which verifies the length of the trip. If you will be in federal waters, federal regulations will apply.

Violations may be determined at the officer's discretion in any situation where the officer can not quickly and easily determine that the catch was harvested on two separate days. Generally, an officer will enforce the one day possession bag limit. For more information on this topic visit the FWC Division of Marine Fisheries Management online at: http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/regulations/extended-trips/.
  • NOAA-EnforcementNOAA-Enforcement Posts: 202 Moderator
    You can not possess 2 day limit in Federal Water as a private vessel.

NOTE: THE FOLLOWING IS AN UNOFFICIAL COMPILATION OF FEDERAL REGULATIONS PREPARED IN THE SOUTHEAST REGIONAL OFFICE OF THE NATIONAL MARINE FISHERIES SERVICE FOR THE INFORMATION AND CONVENIENCE OF INTERESTED PERSONS. IT DOES NOT INCLUDE CHANGES TO THESE REGULATIONS THAT MAY HAVE OCCURRED AFTER THE DATE

INDICATED ABOVE.
    DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE
    National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
    National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS)
    50 CFR Part 622
    PART 622--FISHERIES OF THE CARIBBEAN, GULF, AND SOUTH ATLANTIC

622.39 Bag and possession limits.

(2) Possession limits. A person who is on a trip that spans more than 24 hours may possess no more than two daily bag limits, provided such trip is on a vessel that is operating as a charter vessel or headboat, the vessel has two licensed operators aboard, and each passenger is issued and has in possession a receipt issued on behalf of the vessel that verifies the length of the trip.
    My purpose on this site is to help everyone understand Federal Fishery Regulations and to provide information. Working with the Florida Sportsman is a collateral (volunteer) duty I asked for and enjoy; I will only give you an answer that I’m willing to put my name on and stand behind. Sometimes that means checking with other agents/offices in the area of concern.
    Please Stay Safe And Have A Wonderful Day.
    Special Agent Allan Coker
    NOAA's Office For Fishery Law Enforcement
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    You can not possess 2 day limit in Federal Water as a private vessel.

NOTE: THE FOLLOWING IS AN UNOFFICIAL COMPILATION OF FEDERAL REGULATIONS PREPARED IN THE SOUTHEAST REGIONAL OFFICE OF THE NATIONAL MARINE FISHERIES SERVICE FOR THE INFORMATION AND CONVENIENCE OF INTERESTED PERSONS. IT DOES NOT INCLUDE CHANGES TO THESE REGULATIONS THAT MAY HAVE OCCURRED AFTER THE DATE . . . . . . . . . National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) . . . . . . . ect.

Thanks for that information. :thumbsup
  • testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    I seen that when I was looking into limits and the ft. jefferson area rules .. makes sense though that the charter guys can have two bag limits. good info!
  • capciofficapcioffi Posts: 831 Officer
    This is crap. So my family, friends, or any other recreational fisherman in this state can't keep two daily limits on a multiday trip, which we spent tens of thousands, even hundredsof thousands of dollars on the boat and gear. We have to pay someone a ton of money to keep a publicly founded resource. Like I've said FWC and SAFMS have their heads on wrong and up a dark hole. Why don't you just open red snapper to the commercial sector and tell everybody that our Florida restaurants need the fish, as you export it out of the state in front of our face. Then follow it up with that the state of Florida makes more money on this rather than opening up to the million recreational anglers that come to Florida to catch them.
  • circus actcircus act Posts: 230 Officer
    The law has been in place for a long time now.

Odds are if it hasn't impacted you by this point, you're going to be ok.

I can't imagine the law enforcement nightmare that would stem from allowing a multiple day limit to private vessels.