Electronics Installation

I am looking to get a new GPS/Bottom finder installed in my Island Runner. I have been looking at the raymarine C120. My question is who would you recommend to do the installation? I will need it flush mounted as the GPS I have now is only an eight inch screen. I also have Furuno at this time so all of that will need to be changed out, and lastly I will need installation of a through hole transducer. So who is the most bang for the buck out there? Thaks in advance
Derek Nowell

Replies

• Anonymous3Anonymous3 Posts: 5,987 Officer
    Hell, i ll knock a hole in your boat, connect some wires and throw some screws in the MFD mount for $ 500.00. I can get to it tomorrow morning too. :) Just having fun..... I am in a strange mood with no sleep.
  • reelhookerreelhooker Posts: 644 Officer
    I know a guy who knows a guy who probably knew the first guy who could get in touch with another guy who might be able to help you out.
    You don't think it is something we could do? I have a gnarly set of tools.
    Hell, i ll knock a hole in your boat, connect some wires and throw some screws in the MFD mount for $ 500.00. I can get to it tomorrow morning too. :) Just having fun..... I am in a strange mood with no sleep.

If ur needin references just post up on craigslist...... Im on there a lot.
  • dwreckdwreck Posts: 66 Deckhand
    calvin we are not putting any holes in my beautiful island runner!! Thats why I work, so I can afford a professional to do it right and right the first time.. lol The boat would be destroyed. Also I have heard horror stories from CL I am looking for some good first hand info.
    Derek Nowell
  • sharkatak1089sharkatak1089 Posts: 6,407 Officer
    BOATTRONICS...Tony...
    I am choice.
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.
    I m just yankin your chain bro. :) Be patient as all the good installers are stacked right now. I was serious about tomorrow..... The hole...... And $ 500.00 bucks though !! :)
    BOATTRONICS...Tony...

You tryin to steal business from me ?......We were talking.......
  • BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,199 Admiral
    I would love to help you out, but as Wade said, I'm booked about two weeks. I would love to chat with you and give you some great advice..... Please stay away from Raymarine, for starters. Call me at 545-1270 to chat, I love to talk about this stuff. Take Wades advice unless he has been drinking, lol, he's a boat rennisance man of sorts.
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
    Without talking to you yet to know for sure what you have.... Ill give you a "guesstimate"'
    Removing all of your previous electronics to make room for the new system will take about an hour and a half. This includes using the old wires to pull the new ones, which actually speeds up the process faster than starting with a clean slate in most cases.
    Flush mounting the new display, and wiring it up properly will take about an hour and a half.
    Mounting and wiring the gps antenna will take about and hour and a half.
    Mounting the dsm and wiring it will be done in about an hour.
    Doing a through hull on that boat should take about two hours, if that. I would suggest the Airmar "tilted element" for several reasons.
    One big differance between me and most other guys, is I will come to your boat and give you a free estimate. I will then give you a number that I will stand behind. After doing this specailization for 16 years, I know exactly how long each install will take me. I will make a deal with you, and honor that price even if it takes me twice as long.
    So I would check out the boat and your prefrances to be sure, but sounds like you have a 7 and a 1/2 hour job. My labor rate is $75, unless there is a surpise when I inspect the vessel, I would stand behind $562.50, even if it took longer. If we finish faster, you are only charged for the time I spend. But my first availibilty for a 7 and 1/2 hour job is May the 14th, two weeks from today. I am unusaully backlogged right now, usually its more like one week, with holes sooner in between for smaller jobs.
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
    Ha, Thanks for the confidence Derek. I don't think I will destroy anything. I figured we could save you some money and then have someone finish it up.
    dwreck wrote: »
    calvin we are not putting any holes in my beautiful island runner!! Thats why I work, so I can afford a professional to do it right and right the first time.. lol The boat would be destroyed. Also I have heard horror stories from CL I am looking for some good first hand info.
    Seriously though. If the furuno 8" is in working condition, I may be intersted in buying it for my skiff. Thanks, Wade 338-6172
  • Kapn SkinnyKapn Skinny Posts: 1,008 Officer
    Let us know what you find/ go with? I have two new Raymarine wide screens I want installed on my wifes new Century 2600. Looking forward to using the new ride.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks I will Keep you updated on what I go with. I am new to off shore fishing, so I am just trying to get my boat the way I want it before I venture too far. I am still shopping for which unit I want, it is a tough decision. Wade I will call you tomorrow. It is a furuno 1850...
    Derek Nowell
  • ReefRocketReefRocket Jacksonville BeachPosts: 987 Officer
    Wade come ready my trailer for a keys trip!

Tony is pretty good. Others around can hold their own too. Tony has been doing my electronics, what little I have done, for 8 or more years.
    Bobby Riggins, 904-626-8407,
    REALTOR® AT EXIT REAL ESTATE GALLERY
    www.fl4sell.com
    ReefRocket wrote: »
    Who in the hecl gets up that early!

just kidding Wade.
    Wade come ready my trailer for a keys trip!

Tony is pretty good. Others around can hold their own too. Tony has been doing my electronics, what little I have done, for 8 or more years.

Lol! Thanks for the mention Bobby! Hey, Im glad you posted. The other day there was a thread posted here from my friends Chris and Trent......
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?51381-Boatronics-To-the-rescue
    They have the same boat you do! I wanted to hook you guys up, I know those boats arent too common around here, so maybe you can compare notes and learn something from each other. You can contact them from that thread, Chris is Offshore32234 and Trent is TeamGetafterit.
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
  • dwreck wrote: »
    I am looking to get a new GPS/Bottom finder installed in my Island Runner. I have been looking at the raymarine C120. My question is who would you recommend to do the installation? I will need it flush mounted as the GPS I have now is only an eight inch screen. I also have Furuno at this time so all of that will need to be changed out, and lastly I will need installation of a through hole transducer. So who is the most bang for the buck out there? Thaks in advance

Raymarine will not give support for the most likely failure you will have. Tread lightly with them.
    What brand electronics would you recommend then?
    Derek Nowell
  • dwreck wrote: »
    What brand electronics would you recommend then?

I have Raymarine, run 600 hours a year and it has been a non stop joke. I recommend anything but Raymarine. Next time I will go with Faruno or Garmin. I am told they all have problems but I have run boats with Faruno and Garman for 100's of hours with zero problems. Tony knows the details about Raymarine selling their electronics division recently which has made it even more difficult to get factory service. Send me an pm if you want details.
  • Let's Go AmigoLet's Go Amigo Posts: 2,387 Captain
    New Raymarines are supposed to be better with more intuitive controls. I just ordered one.
  • swkowboy wrote: »
    New Raymarines are supposed to be better with more intuitive controls. I just ordered one.

I sincerely hope it works out for you. Please give us a report when you have some time on the equipment. The last thing I want to do is pull a 10K radar of the top and replace everything because on constant problems everywhere else. What did you buy and what size boat?
    I have a KeyWest 225 cc and replacing the old garmin for the C97.
  • ReefRocketReefRocket Jacksonville BeachPosts: 987 Officer
    i would really like to see picks of where the batteries ended up on the Kencraft? I talked to you about that once, and again about just lengthing the cables so I can take the batteries out on a milk crate or the bottom of the boat. Tony, when you get caught up, since it is fresh in your mind, we should talk about moving my 2 batteries to a 3 set in the cabin. Meaning, I talk, point, you work.
    Bobby Riggins, 904-626-8407,
    REALTOR® AT EXIT REAL ESTATE GALLERY
    www.fl4sell.com
  • Offshore32234Offshore32234 Posts: 223 Officer
    We bought yamaha 13 ft cables and tied them into our original cables under the tackle storage in the corners they were just long enough to reach the switches in the console and we added a house battery in the console in battery boxes mounted straight to the floor we made a lid that goes from the step straight across like a false floor any other questions just ask
  • swkowboy wrote: »
    I have a KeyWest 225 cc and replacing the old garmin for the C97.

Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • deepcdiverdeepcdiver Posts: 247 Deckhand
    I've had raymarine on work boats. I will NEVER buy one! Had problems with radar and the bottom machines.
  • deepcdiver wrote: »
    I've had raymarine on work boats. I will NEVER buy one! Had problems with radar and the bottom machines.

This is the standard experience.
    If they have so many problems, how are they still in business?
  • mikeg32225mikeg32225 Posts: 561 Officer
    If you don't mind reading the manual more then once the Ray is okay. There are things that happen that aren't in the manual. I drive a new boat with twin Rays. If you turn the wrong one on first they don't work properly. If you split the screen you can't do many functions on the active screen that you can do when that screen occupies the entire screen. There is nothing easy about using it and you can't experiment with thing to figure it out, You must be prepared to read the manual. The depth finder seems to have a mind of it's own when it switches from 200 kh to 50 in 150' of water even though it's in manual mode. With the thru hull transducer it shouldn't switch until about 1000'.
    The contour views of the bottom on the chart plotter are nice. The open array radar is nice as long as you use the default settings.
    Haven't tried bottom fishing with it yet to see if I can back the boat down on a waypoint.
    As you can see I don't like reading manuals.
    Good luck.
    Mike
  • Gettin' JiggyGettin' Jiggy Posts: 135 Officer
    Have Raymarine C120's in my 318cc edgewater. It took me the better part of a year to get the bugs out and I'm still dealing with issues...... As soon as i save up $10K, I'm going with Simrad! :Rockon

I would also recommend both Wade and Tony for the install. Wade just rebuilt my Skiff and did a great job at it. If I could just get my dog to stop eating the wiring!
    Capt. Cris Howell
    318cc Edgewater