Did anyone else here sirens today?

Because where we were there were firetrucks EVERYWHERE....

100_1777.jpg

Mark, Manny, Copley and I wanted to hit 100' swiss cheese. We were in the same quandry as others on what day to go but Mark's youngest had first communion on Saturday so that pretty much made the decision for us. The different web sites couldn't completely agree as normal. NOAA said 10 but windfinder had 14-16. But what the heck. I put the traps out Saturday. We were going to throw the net at PAG to get some white bait but by the time we rolled by there aroun 7:45'ish there were 4 boats surrounding it so we passed on that. Stopped at the traps and they were LOADED. Huge grunts, pins, squirrels, nice potpourri. Hit markers 3 and 4 on the way out and got a couple dozen nice sardines. With a nice blacked out well off we went.

It was a little breezy but not bad. Never really worse than 2's out there. I personally like it a little choppy. Seems we have better luck with a little bit of waves and the brreeze kept it a nice temperature.

We were headed out in the general direction of the pride to some swiss cheese areas we have had a lot of luck at over the years. Get to our first mark and it has a great show so we toss the marker. We decided to power drift a little bit to see if anyone is feeding. Within minutes, big firetrucks are coming over the side. We decide to throw the hook and we nail the anchor bearing on the first try.

About an hour and a half later we have 11 nice reds, 2 nice mangos, and a cobia in the box. We also threw back probably 10+ great gags with several 30"+.

Mark asks, what time is it? I say 10:50. He looks at me like I am lying. We have more fish in the box than we know what to do with and decide that egmont is in order for a little relaxation time. We could barely take a sip the whole time we were fishing so we needed to go there and quench our thirst....

Just an outrageous day. Bait hits bottom, pole doubles over. Constant for an hour and a half. So, one stop shopping it is. I can't recall catching that many nice fish at one spot.

Great day on the water with great friends and a little restock of the freezer.

Tight Lines.
In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013

Replies

• sagorysagory Posts: 614 Officer
    Very nice. I was wondering what sirens you were talking about. Good one
  • IshIsh Posts: 797 Officer
    Sounds like a great day , I like how you had time to hit the beach after :~)
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,857 Captain
    Sweet, I tried trolling the ship channel hoping for a red or two but ony caught large gags. Waste of time..... yea right. too depressing I gave up and went inshore.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • jj lynnjj lynn Posts: 632 Officer
    Nice fish. :USA
    When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work, because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation!

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous
    by letting the American Government
    take care of him;
    better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    Henry Ford
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 2,950 Moderator
    One stop shoppin' gotta love it and a bonus cobe, great day on the gulf.
  • ScottKScottK Posts: 214 Officer
    Very nice Paul. :thumbsup
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,030 AG
    Sounds like a sweet trip Bly. :beer

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln