Home Shimano

Power pro line yellow 15 lbs

fishing-guyfishing-guy Posts: 543 Officer
For the first time , I put some new 15 lbs power pro line , this morning,from a 300 yard spole and all the spool , brake ,I look the eyes of my rod , and my reel , every thing is good, and I take the line , brake when I pull on it, I never see that before, it happen to you?
Capt Fred

Replies

• bantam1bantam1 Posts: 541 Officer
    Where did you buy the line? I ask because we have seen counterfeit Power Pro being sold online. The packaging and spool are identical, but the line is not ours.
  • MARLIN44MARLIN44 Posts: 1,223 Officer
    For the first time , I put some new 15 lbs power pro line , this morning,from a 300 yard spole and all the spool , brake ,I look the eyes of my rod , and my reel , every thing is good, and I take the line , brake when I pull on it, I never see that before, it happen to you?
    Capt Fred

That's funny... I had a 300 yard spool of 20# a couple of months ago that was junk, about halfway through the spool the braid started coming apart in individual strands, the strands never broke but about a 100 yards were unusable. Tried to take it back to sports authority but they wouldn't exchange it without a receipt.:rolleyes I then contacted pp and they basically said I was ***** out of luck. I'll probably give suffix a try next. Good luck.
    23ea9c81-1e5b-4eb2-a384-b1be569337ad_zps36a194bd.jpg
  • MARLIN44MARLIN44 Posts: 1,223 Officer
    bantam1 wrote: »
    You can send the line in for testing. Here's a link to our form:

http://www.powerpro.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/power_pro_v2/info/contact_us.html

:rotflmao They never told me that! They suggested that I could just back my reels with more mono, thus using less pp...:rotflmao:rolleyes. I'll see if I can find the emails on my other computer and post them. It's actually pretty funny...
    23ea9c81-1e5b-4eb2-a384-b1be569337ad_zps36a194bd.jpg
    Did you email us? I answer most of the emails that come through. There is another person that covers for me when I'm out. He is aware of the program too. Using backing is only needed to prevent line slip on the spool. They may have misunderstood your problem.
  • jbiblerjbibler Posts: 168 Deckhand
    I've used PowerPro ever since it's existence and have always been happy. Over the years I've never had a complaint until about 6 weeks ago.
    I bought 2 spools of 10lb yellow and 2 spools of 15 lb yellow at **** Sporting goods. All four reels that I spooled were fine, fished them for a week no problems at all. The following week I stopped at Sports Authority to pickup one more spool of 15lb yellow to finish off my last reel. Loaded it up and headed out.
    About my 5th cast of the morning I hooked a respectable (upper slot) redfish. On the hookset the line broke and I watch the redfish shake his head and swim away with my lure and about 10 ft of yellow powerpro dragging behind him. I rig back up and about 3 or 4 casts later my line breaks when I cast my lure. I'm like "****"???? Then when I go to tie my leader my line breaks three times in a row.

Needless to say I took the line off and took it back to Sports Authority. They didn't give me any problem, but I did have my receipt still. Instead of exchanging it (for fear of getting more bad line) I just took the refund. I think it must have just been a bad batch of line. It looked fine, but obviously had some sort of imperfection. I went back to **** and bought the exact same spool and it has been perfectly fine... no issues.

I can't complain about one problem in years of good experience, but I can see this being a solid deterrent for customers who get a bad spool on their first experience.
    | Pathfinder 23 HPS | Yamaha 300 | Power-Pole | Minn-Kota | JL AUDIO | YETI |
    I suspect a mislabeled spool of line. The line could have been labeled 15 but it was actually 10. It doesn't happen often but I have seen it happen.
  • on_the_rockson_the_rocks Posts: 7,910 Admiral
    Sorry but PP is trash... Fish spider wire
  • monoxidemonoxide Posts: 1,094 Officer
    I have always used power pro and like it but recently the few spools I bought have all got more wind knots then I have ever had. My line is always on the spool tight so I don't know what is causing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,419 Admiral
    a little constructive criticism for the new pp , its not round like sufix or spiderwire , it unravels very easily.imo its to limp you really need to pay attention especially in windy conditions, not to get a loop around your spool..(maybe it needs a thicker coating like fins windtamer)
    I have been using the #10 for 3 months now , so I think I gave it a fair chance.I hope shimano can improve this product instead of throwing it against the wall and trying to make it stick.at the moment I prefer the old pp.
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    DuPont wrote: »
    Sorry but PP is trash... Fish spider wire

Stupid, non-helpful post. :huh
    johnD wrote: »
    a little constructive criticism for the new pp , its not round like sufix or spiderwire , it unravels very easily.imo its to limp you really need to pay attention especially in windy conditions, not to get a loop around your spool..(maybe it needs a thicker coating like fins windtamer)
    I have been using the #10 for 3 months now , so I think I gave it a fair chance.I hope shimano can improve this product instead of throwing it against the wall and trying to make it stick.at the moment I prefer the old pp.

This is why we offer both the original PP and the new Super Slick. It comes down to personal preference and requirements.