Years First Fawn!

I pulled my trail camera cards the other day and was surprised to see a doe had shown up with this years first fawn that I have seen. I think it's about a week and a half old, maybe two. Deer are awesome creatures. Also had a couple young buck show up that are just starting to bud out some little velvet horns but don't expect them to be much.

The turkeys are obviously all setting now. The hens have all but vanished now.

Here's a few pictures for everyone.

OverEngineered, http://trophy-hunting.blogspot.com/

Replies

• TatSoulTatSoul Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    thats awesome.I noticed fwc regs changed the dates on bow season and general gun.Bumped it up 2 days this year
  • OVERENGINEEREDOVERENGINEERED Posts: 73 Deckhand
    It's a little early for me to be thinking bow season, I'm just coming off 7-8 weeks of turkey hunting and videoing. I'm ready to work on some fish at this point. The Tarpon should be showing up with the pogy pods pretty soon. Anyway, 10:4 on the season dates but this happens with the dates every few years. It's the same way with the hunt dates in Illinois, they are a couple days early this year also. I do admit I'm looking forward to that hunt! My long time hunting buddy couldn't swing it this year with the slow down and I had to scramble to fill his spot. We've got it all planned at this point and just have to cough up the lease money for another year. We left some real monsters running around that farm last year.

Good luck next year, OverEngineered.

Matter of Fact, Here's one I took on that farm in 05 with a muzzleloader. He grossed 200" even! THAT WAS ONE SPECIAL DAY!
  • gatortrout19gatortrout19 Posts: 244 Deckhand
    Nice! Cool pics
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,310 Captain
    magnificent!

Thank you for sharing.

This time of year I search for tiny deer tracks and am as thrilled with tiny deer tracks as I am with Bullwinkle's later in the year.
    And also alert for Turkey poult first flight.Happened across such a couple of years ago.Thought it was a flock of Robins or something.Some were labored in what might have been their first flights.I did not realize what was happening until I got a glimpse of one nearby,and Mom calling.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 2,993 Moderator
    That fawn looks to be a little older than a week or two. I thought they spent the first couple weeks in hiding. But I'm no expert in that particular department. Cool pics though. I've never gotten any pics of turkeys on my cams...probably due to camera height.

I'm not exactly sure what was meant about the season dates being moved up but the actual DAY the seasons all open is moved up by two days this year so they open on a Saturday. This is a normal occurance and it usually only moves up by a day but we had a leap year this year. Eventually all the dates will jump back 5-6 days and the process starts over. Season dates are set to open on a specific Saturday...generally speaking. Not sure if that addressed the question/comment but that's how it works at least.
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 858 Officer
    the gobbler in that last photo looks like he needs a nite's[or morning's] rest..
  • jsnolejsnole Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Here is my first one of the year. Second picture the fawn is jumping around playing.

4abb17e9.jpg
    db247a6e.jpg
    I have a bunch of bucks starting to grow horns..

a46f8b8d.jpg
    That buck has some nice bases started on him! I almost ran over another fawn with my tractor in the hay field yesterday. Momma left him right in the middle of the field in grass that was not 6" high. he had to be lying there in the sun all day. Lucky for him he jump and ran just feet from the tractor.

That camera takes some pretty good pictures. What model is that? Have you had any trouble with it?
    O.E.
    That reminds me of another fawn I came across while turkey hunting in the Lake George Mgt. area in 2010 I think. It had J U S T been born, It was still wet and there was a little blood on the ground there. They don't get any newer than this one. It sure was a pretty little thing! I am hoping I can get some little turkey pictures here pretty quick. Hopefully there will be some survivors that hatch over the next couple of weeks.

OverEngineered, www.trophy-hunting.blogspot.com
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,020 Moderator
    You better start sharpening your bullets!
    jsnole wrote: »
    I have a bunch of bucks starting to grow horns..

a46f8b8d.jpg
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
    That buck has some nice bases started on him! I almost ran over another fawn with my tractor in the hay field yesterday. Momma left him right in the middle of the field in grass that was not 6" high. he had to be lying there in the sun all day. Lucky for him he jump and ran just feet from the tractor.

That camera takes some pretty good pictures. What model is that? Have you had any trouble with it?
    O.E.

Its an older WildGame Innovations cam i bought off Craigslist. $40 and its been out since oct. I have not had any problems with it other than when it gets foggy.
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,127 Captain
    We saw one every bit that small last Tuesday. We also saw a hen with about a dozen polts that weren't more than a week old. The woods are alive with babies! Got to love that!