Home Photography Corner

What would your lens choice(s) be?

BonePfishBonePfish Posts: 14 Greenhorn
I will be driving from New Mexico, through Colorado, stopping to do some fly fishing and horse back riding in Wyoming, leaving from there to drive east past Mt Rushmore, stop in Chicago, then hit Niagra Falls, turn south to stop in Western Maryland. You can say I am new to photography but recently purchased a new Rebel T3i with an 18-135 IS lens. I am in the market for other lens, but would like to try out a few before spending the money. Has anyone tried to rent lenses from any of the online stores that offer renting? What lenses would you recommend for the trip?

:beer

Ryan

Replies

• mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    i have never shot with the 18-135 is lens...(i do have a ef 24-135 IS which i use quite a bit)...
    however, it should be a good "walking around" lens...

you might want to look at tokina and sigma wides in the 11-22mm range for landscapes and perhaps the ef 70-300 is for a decent long tele that is tack sharp...
    that would cover you from super wide to a good, long zoom for any wild life...

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,874 Admiral
    I've shot some with a company camera with the Cannon 18-135. Seems like a decent lens. I've read that it's much sharper at F8 or higher though.

For most vacation purposes I'd think that would be the only lens you need. Switching and luggin extra lenses is a major pain.
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
  • Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
    I bought a little camera backpack that holds my camera and 80-300mm telephoto lens plus some accessories and film etc. Great for walking or hiking because it leaves your hands free. There are times I wanted more than 300mm for some wildlife shots, but for the most part it's a pretty good size. Practice switching lenses so you can do it quick. Sometimes those wildlife opportunities dissapear quickly.
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    Ryan, I am more interested in where you are going in CO and WY. I use to live in both and have a ton of ideas/suggestions. Blast me a PM if you are interested.
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,874 Admiral
    I'd also suggest getting a high-end small point-and-shoot, so you can have a camera in your pocket at dinner and other times when you don't want to lug a big camera. You never know what you will see at any time....
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events