Skip to main content
Home Conservation Forums

Numbers on a Canoe..

Dreads0518Dreads0518 Junior MemberPosts: 21 Greenhorn
My buddy moved to Texas and gave me his Canoe.
He got it from a garage sale years ago.
I wanna put a Trolling Motor on it, That requires registration numbers.
But I have nothing but a Canoe
Any help will be appreciated.


  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Senior Member Naples, FLPosts: 1,301 Officer
    Call your county tax collector's office and they can instruct you with what you need. I don't think there will be a problem.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Senior Member S. FlaPosts: 1,718 Captain
    Some canoes have hull numbers just like boats. If the canoe is fiberglass the number is molded into the gel coat and can be very hard to see. If the canoe has such a number it will facilitate the whole process. You will also need a bill of sale from your buddy.
  • coachgun1coachgun1 Senior Member Jacksonville, Fl.Posts: 307 Deckhand
    Will probably not be able to register it without getting a title.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter Moderator New Port RicheyPosts: 5,582 Moderator
    There is no title for a canoe
  • fieromanfieroman Senior Member cape coralPosts: 230 Officer
    i can tell you that there is a title for a canoe if you register when you put a motor on it. if you don't believe me i can scan the one i have for my canoe. If you have a certificate of origin it is easy to do if not you need to get the hull number. The tax collector will be able to tell you exactly how to do it. may have to apply for a homebuilt.
  • yellowdogyellowdog Senior Member Greensboro, NCPosts: 153 Deckhand
    I just did this to my kayak in North Carolina. Had to fill out a form stating that I bought it on Craigslist and paid cash-so no bill of sale. Had to include a picture of the hull number off the yak. Got a title and it registered in a week after mailing the forms. I got my info thru the NC Wildlife website. I emailed them and told them what I wanted to do and they seent me the forms and told me how to fill them out so there would be no delays. I did have to get the forms notarized.
  • surfmansurfman Senior Member WC FLPosts: 6,017 Admiral
    Call them up and tell them what you have told us and ask them exactly what do you need to get the canoe registered. Be sure to write it all down. Then call back in a day or two and hopefully talk to someone else and repeat the process hopefully talking to a different person. Hopefully between the two of them you will get all the right info and you will only need to make one trip to the tax collectors office to get this done. Good luck!
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

    Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • CDill9CDill9 Senior Member MiamiPosts: 108 Officer
    You usually do not have to register a vessel if it has less than 10 HP. That is why you see motors with 9.9 HP to avoid the registration process.
  • sknight88sknight88 Senior Member Spring HillPosts: 323 Deckhand
    Not true, any motor means registration. Maybe was like that before, but no more. The 9.9 does help ids under 16 stay below the 10 hp limit tough...
  • surfmansurfman Senior Member WC FLPosts: 6,017 Admiral
    CDill9 wrote: »
    You usually do not have to register a vessel if it has less than 10 HP. That is why you see motors with 9.9 HP to avoid the registration process.

    False, even if you put an electric on it it must be registered.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

    Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • Jim311Jim311 Senior Member Gainesville, FLPosts: 4,961 Captain
    9.9 motors are designed to let you run in low horsepower bodies of water for the most part. Although some states may have different laws, in Florida if it has a motor (electric or otherwise) it has to be registered. I have a Gheenoe with a 9.9 and it's registered. Registration is 13 bucks a year, LOL.
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Senior Member Posts: 1,357 Officer
    CDill9 wrote: »
    You usually do not have to register a vessel if it has less than 10 HP. That is why you see motors with 9.9 HP to avoid the registration process.

    Not true - where did you get that information? :shrug
  • CDill9CDill9 Senior Member MiamiPosts: 108 Officer
    I apologize, that is applicable in the state of Connecticut where I was previously stationed.
  • LittleBertLittleBert Senior Member Posts: 203 Deckhand
    I did this just 2 weeks ago for a 12' boat my neighbor gave me. Assuming you are in Fl, go to the tag office and get the form for registering a previously unregistered and untitled vessel (this from is not on the DMV site). The form lists several reasons for the vessel never being registered, I chose something like "boat was never used with a motor". They issued me a title and registration on the spot. I did however have the previous owner available to sign this form and get it notarized. I don't see why you cold not sign it yourself though. I did have the HIN but they did not require verification. I was very surprised by how easy this was. I expected a nightmare. Cost just under $50 and I was out the door with my reg and sticker in 15 minutes.
  • BakermanBakerman Senior Member Posts: 1,222 Officer
    " ■All vessels, with the exception of non-motor-powered vessels less than 16 feet in length, non-motor-powered canoes, kayaks, racing shells, or rowing sculls, regardless of length, must be registered through your local Tax Collector's Office."

    Poorly written but anything powered or longer than 16 feet needs registration.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman.
  • Dreads0518Dreads0518 Junior Member Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    This thread is still going??
    Easy registration.
    Obtain a bill of sale from the seller.
    In the Bill of Sale, include a statement from the seller, to the fact that the craft was never registered in the
    state of Florida.

    Thanks for your reply's.
  • tarawatarawa Senior Member Loxahatchee FloridaPosts: 153 Deckhand
    I purchased a 10' bass tender from a yard sale. No bill of sale or no "origin on manufacture". After a year of dealing with Palm Beach County tax collector, I gave the boat to a friend to use on a private pond. The county was not going to register the boat in my name without the "origin on manufacture" certificate. Unfortuanately, the manufacturer was no longer in business, so I couldn't get a duplicate. I am sure this was a Palm Beach County interpretation of the law, as they seem to make them up as they go.
    Life Is For Service
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Digital Now Included!


Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

Preview This Month's Issue

Buy Digital Single Issues

Don't miss an issue.
Buy single digital issue for your phone or tablet.

Buy Single Digital Issue on the Florida Sportsman App

Other Magazines

See All Other Magazines

Special Interest Magazines

See All Special Interest Magazines

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Florida Sportsman stories delivered right to your inbox.


Phone Icon

Get Digital Access.

All Florida Sportsman subscribers now have digital access to their magazine content. This means you have the option to read your magazine on most popular phones and tablets.

To get started, click the link below to visit and learn how to access your digital magazine.

Get Digital Access

Not a Subscriber?
Subscribe Now