Home Photography Corner

Possible Issue with Nikon D200

FlashFlash Posts: 11,193 AG
I am in the middle of Little League season and yesterday during a shoot I noticed the display get all jumpy. It ran thru different exposures, sometimes even showing off. Once it seemed to stabilize I would set off a burst during a Play only to occasionally get a totally underexposed photo. Looked black on the LCD, but once enlarged could see there was an image, but grossly underexposed. I have now taken 49.164 actuations on the particular camera. Sensor, contacts?? Any ideas?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

Replies

• IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    Search the Nikon D200 Forum of this website http//:www.dpreview.com as you may find your answer already there. If not, post your situation and wait for the answers as this is the best camera site on the web.
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    Flash, thanks for posting this problem. I posted three photos, about a month ago, asking what amounts to the same exact question. In my case the photos were part of a time lapse series where I was getting irregular exposure. My camera a is a D90 and is right at 54K shutter actuations, so we are in the same range.

IIRC, the D200 and D90 were on the sales stand together just as the D90 was coming to market. So logic says there is some sense in there having been technology transfer from the D300 to the D90.....so.....it makes sense they can have the same issue.

I have asked my question(s) on four separate Nikon boards but can get no answer I can buy. I have been meaning to write Nikon but have yet to do it. I guess I will do it now.

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you. Only empathy.
    Idlewilde wrote: »
    Search the Nikon D200 Forum of this website http//:www.dpreview.com as you may find your answer already there. If not, post your situation and wait for the answers as this is the best camera site on the web.

I definitely do not agree with that statement. Sorry. Particularly since they were purchased by Amazon.

The most activity. OK, I can buy that. The 'best"? Ah, no.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,193 AG
    Well I shot off a email to Craig Harding and posted on Nikon Cafe. Additionally, I took the lens off the camera and cleaned contacts on both. I have multiple games today, so will give it a good work out. Also taking my D50 as a back up if needed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    Dave...
    I hate to hear you're having problems...
    might be time to send it to the shop as much as i hate to suggest it...
    i'm glad you still have your d50 for a back up....
    and people always ask me why i carry around 2 bodies...

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
    Dave...
    I hate to hear you're having problems...
    might be time to send it to the shop as much as i hate to suggest it...
    i'm glad you still have your d50 for a back up....
    and people always ask me why i carry around 2 bodies...

tim

Well cleaned the contacts on both lens and camera. Swapped out my Sandisk 2 GB Compact Flash Card also and had no issue for 800 shots. Had to swap out and went back to my other Sandisk 2 GB card for the last game. Worked fine until one play at home plate. Three shots in a burst, all underexposed. :banghead Would have been a good set of captures too. SOOOOO........is it the card? Waterengineer, were you able to run another Card in your situation??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I thought that too. I didn't really think it could be the memory, because it is downstream of any exposure logic in the camera's computer. It was a no brainer to swap memory, so I did....just to prove to myself it couldn't be the memory.....and it wasn't.

I have now had what I am calling "random exposure" in "A" in some difficult mixed, hi contrast lighting situations and in steady, albeit, partly cloudy day. Below are three sequential shots from 1.5 minutes.

oSsiIl.jpg
    Tn5BHl.jpg
    DqeiSl.jpg
    I thought that too. I didn't really think it could be the memory, because it is downstream of any exposure logic in the camera's computer. It was a no brainer to swap memory, so I did....just to prove to myself it couldn't be the memory.....and it wasn't.

I have now had what I am calling "random exposure" in "A" in some difficult mixed, hi contrast lighting situations and in steady, albeit, partly cloudy day. Below are three sequential shots from 1.5 minutes.

oSsiIl.jpg
    Tn5BHl.jpg
    DqeiSl.jpg

Your problem is totally different as mine are "underexposures" and yours are over.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yes, you are correct about my set above. My other set has the same but "opposite" issue....from Curacao. My point was that Nikon seems to have a light meter or exposure logic chip problem as some of the cameras age. I wasn't discounting your issue.....just trying to state I too am having reliability problems. In my case is seems my camera has something of a random problem - maddening.

iNpwtl.jpg
    gAYGvl.jpg
    W3XGwl.jpg
    More of what I am seeing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,874 Admiral
    Problems at 49k shots! Yikes!

I've got 20k shots on my D700 in 5 months.
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events

oSsiIl.jpg
    Tn5BHl.jpg
    DqeiSl.jpg

I did run across a few that looked OVER exposed also on the other CF card that I was not questioning. Still I am not sure if it was due to a problem with camera or due to reflections and such on the ball field. I will know more this next weekend. I picked up some DeoxIT and will give the camera and lens contacts a good cleaning.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am getting a lot of information that it is:

1. bad connection between lens/body - i.e., needs a cleaning.
    2. sticking lens blades (which I doubt because in my case both over and under exposure.)
    I am getting a lot of information that it is:

1. bad connection between lens/body - i.e., needs a cleaning.
    2. sticking lens blades (which I doubt because in my case both over and under exposure.)

I did use to see the "sticking lens blades" , but that was with my old Mamiya 645 film cameras. You could notice it on the blades even. I a not even sure how to view the blades in a digital camera?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]