Siesta Key- Fishing/Restaurant advice

Hey all, I'm bring my family up from Homestead for a few days/nights on the beach next week (7/5-7/8). I am not bringing the boat, and I'm wondering if it is even worth bringing a rod.... I've never been to that area before. Is there anywhere on the island where beach/bridge/pier fishing is allowed? Is it worth even giving it a shot? My brother in law will be there with his family too, and we're both fishing fools.... It would be nice to get away for a few hours...

Also, any "must go to" restaurants around?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. We're staying at the "Seashell Condos" if that helps any. Thanks...:beer

****... Just realized I posted this in the fishing report as opposed to general section. If a mod could move it I'd appreciate it...

Replies

• mcfishymcfishy Posts: 62 Deckhand
    Snook are all over Siesta beach, go out early early early like 30 min befor sunrise 25-30lb Fluro leader and for bait anything that resembles a small bait fish or shrimp. Make long casts along the beach, they will be with-in 20ft of shore where the deep troph is where the waves break. Some small reds mixed in as well as some trout, just make sure you get out early as the crowds will scare the fish off. I hope this helps, let me know if you need any other advice.
  • Breef TxBreef Tx Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Bring your rod, livebait bucket and a cast net for bait. Just like Mcfishy said. Theres live bait right on the shoreline and they are catchin trout, reds, and snook.
  • thinfisherthinfisher Posts: 326 Officer
    On Siesta Key right across from the 7-11 in the village there is a little restaurant in the corner called Patisseries that has a great English breakfast with banger sausages....I eat there once a month or more as they serve a great breakfast, although I'm not English. The Broken Egg is also good for breakfast. Daiquiri Deck has well...great Daiquiris/Frozen Drinks (Bushwacker my fav) and also has pretty good lunch/dinners. SKOB or Siesta Key Oyster Bar also has pretty decent eats. As for fishing follow recommendations above as Snook are in the surf right now!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Family, Friends and the Outdoors - Obama = PRICELESS
  • Bottom LinesBottom Lines Posts: 1,102 Officer
    mcfishy wrote: »
    I hope this helps, let me know if you need any other advice.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm primarily an offshore guy... Will definitely have my cast net with me. Any specific artificials I should consider buying? I don't think my Islanders will work...lol Gonna buy a couple of lures before the trip...
  • choupiquechoupique Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Also, any "must go to" restaurants around?

Load everyone up, get back on the trail, go north, take the US 301 split (Rt lane) follow a couple miles to "Hop Nob" (On left) for best burger and fries in town!!! A frosty mug of rootbeer is a must too..

Beach fishing info is right on and if crowed Turtle Beach offers same thing...
  • E.R. A/CE.R. A/C Posts: 85 Greenhorn
    Bring some DOA glow shrimp. There are snook but depending where you are staying there may be more or less #'s. If you are near point of rocks try there, if you are near the pass try there, and if near turtle beach try there.
    As for restaurants if you like sushi or steaks Try JoTo Japanese steakhouse its in the village next to 7-11.
    For lures I would suggest, mirrolure, rapala x-rap, any kind of shrimp imitation will work too. The snook are eating white bait and pinfish on the beach so just match what they are naturaly eating and you will be fine.
    Thanks again guys. I'll let you know how we do...:beer
  • Reel AggressiveReel Aggressive Posts: 261 Officer
    Lots of places to fish...
    Try cafe gabbiano in the shopping center next to Davidson's drug store for dinner.
    Great Italian food.
  • Paul59Paul59 Posts: 49 Deckhand
    I will be at Siesta Key in two weeks, should it be the same report?
    Paul Goyette
    USCG AUX VE / PV
    07-14-04
    Jacksonville Beach, Fl.
    www.uscgajaxbeach.com
    Paul59 wrote: »
    I will be at Siesta Key in two weeks, should it be the same report?

Yes it will be the same until mid to late september
    Quick report... The artificials weren't doing jack for us last night/evening. Decided to go back to basics this morning and caught a few pins. We did pretty good with them. 7 snook between the 2 of us before the beach started getting busy. Nothing real big, just a couple were probably just into the slot... Did the same thing this evening and caught 6. Still nothing big. I've got the alarm set for 6am to hit it again in the morning. Hoping for the biggun this round...:beer
    Quick report... The artificials weren't doing jack for us last night/evening. Decided to go back to basics this morning and caught a few pins. We did pretty good with them. 7 snook between the 2 of us before the beach started getting busy. Nothing real big, just a couple were probably just into the slot... Did the same thing this evening and caught 6. Still nothing big. I've got the alarm set for 6am to hit it again in the morning. Hoping for the biggun this round...:beer

Live bait is always best! Glad to hear you are getting some snook, try and get some jumbo pinfish or mullet for the large snook. GOOD LUCK!!!
  • smelly fsmelly f Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Demetrios (great pizza, Greek, and Italian food) or Phillippi Creek for seafood are tops on my list! both are on rt 41 between the bridges.

I'll be going down during the last week of the month and plan on hitting the beach every morning. I will also bringing my canoe with me for the evening bite. Will the intercostal be on at this time and what should I bring down w/me?
    smelly f wrote: »
    Demetrios (great pizza, Greek, and Italian food) or Phillippi Creek for seafood are tops on my list! both are on rt 41 between the bridges.

I'll be going down during the last week of the month and plan on hitting the beach every morning. I will also bringing my canoe with me for the evening bite. Will the intercostal be on at this time and what should I bring down w/me?

If your hitting the beach in the morning bring a castnet and bucket, all the bait you will need is on the beach already. Snook are still thick on the beach, some reds and trout mixed in. At night on the intercoastal fishing will be slow because the tides at the end of the month at night are crappy, you would be fishing the first part of the incoming tide or the slack low tide (not very productive for sport fishing) Fish some of the bridges with shrimp or small pinfish and you will get some mangrove snappers and maybe a trout or two. But early morning is where its at.
    what type of rig are you using for the snook on the beach early in the mornings?
    Thank you
    Paul Goyette
    USCG AUX VE / PV
    07-14-04
    Jacksonville Beach, Fl.
    www.uscgajaxbeach.com
    Paul59 wrote: »
    what type of rig are you using for the snook on the beach early in the mornings?
    Thank you

Here is the rig I use for my beach snook fishing...... Its actualy my best all around set up and has caught everything from snook to amberjack, snapper, tarpon and grouper. There is not much this rig cant catch.

shimano stradic 5000FI, spooled with 30lb PowerPro, 7ft6in Hurricane Redbone MedHvy 15-30lb Rod.

I do a surgens loop to double my line on the PowerPro then a uni-to-uni knot to attach my 30lb Floro leader about 7-10ft long, then a snell knot to attach a 2/0-4/0 circle hook(depends on the bait size)

Here are some pictures so you can get a better idea, (dont mind the lure in the pictures, I just needed something bigger than a knot for my camera to zoom in on)
    Here is the rig I use for my beach snook fishing...... Its actualy my best all around set up and has caught everything from snook to amberjack, snapper, tarpon and grouper. There is not much this rig cant catch.

shimano stradic 5000FI, spooled with 30lb PowerPro, 7ft6in Hurricane Redbone MedHvy 15-30lb Rod.

I do a surgens loop to double my line on the PowerPro then a uni-to-uni knot to attach my 30lb Floro leader about 7-10ft long, then a snell knot to attach a 2/0-4/0 circle hook(depends on the bait size)

Here are some pictures so you can get a better idea, (dont mind the lure in the pictures, I just needed something bigger than a knot for my camera to zoom in on)

I was using my Stradic 5000 too, with a 7' Star rod... It's usually my yellowtail setup. 12 lb pink Ande, Bimini twisted and tied to 25lb floro with a 4/0 circle worked this week on the beach snook. Unfortunately we never got into the bigguns, but had a blast with mostly 18-24" cookie cutters... Thanks again for the advice guys. Had a great week here with the family. The surf/wind kicking up today was a big bonus! My girls were able to put their boogy boards to good use today!!!:Rockon
    Thanks for the help... I will file a report next teusday!!!
    Paul Goyette
    USCG AUX VE / PV
    07-14-04
    Jacksonville Beach, Fl.
    www.uscgajaxbeach.com
  • smelly fsmelly f Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    If your hitting the beach in the morning bring a castnet and bucket, all the bait you will need is on the beach already. Snook are still thick on the beach, some reds and trout mixed in. At night on the intercoastal fishing will be slow because the tides at the end of the month at night are crappy, you would be fishing the first part of the incoming tide or the slack low tide (not very productive for sport fishing) Fish some of the bridges with shrimp or small pinfish and you will get some mangrove snappers and maybe a trout or two. But early morning is where its at.

I was thinking about going out after the afternoon showers and fishing the late afternoon into the evening. I'll have to pull up a tide report for the time I'm down.