Heading to Captiva in July

golflaxfishgolflaxfish Posts: 455 Deckhand
I will be going to captiva with the kayaks for a week in the third week in july, and staying in the area around tween waters. i would like to catch some reds, snook and trout with doa cal tails, and gulp shrimp as well as throwing top water in the morning. any suggestions of other things to try, or what to do?

Thanks
1970 23 Seabird

Replies

• CookinmanCookinman Posts: 880 Officer
    Small white colored baits seem to do well in AM on beach snook.....Passes are great. On the dirst side nit shorelines - If you have kids small sharks are easily caught all night out the back of the hotel.....Ding Darling is a great paddle - dont pass that up!
  • golflaxfishgolflaxfish Posts: 455 Deckhand
    ive been to ding darling once before, and it is a great place.. thanks for the help cookinman. anyone else have any suggestions?
    1970 23 Seabird
  • Lt.FireDogLt.FireDog Posts: 1,112 Officer
    DOA Shrimp 3", lighter colored for clear waters (holographic flake/carbonated) darker for murky waters (rootbeer/gold glitter, Red/gold glitter).

DOA Bait Buster, shallow runner (white /red head).

DOA C.A.L. 5.5" Jerk Bait white (hooked weedless) with or without pinch weight.

Topwater- anything noisey that "walks the dog".

Also, I would hit up one or two of the small local bait shops for advice on what's working at the moment.
    Good Luck! images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdzb4iINsYdjD86-Em5cBcB3w0B6BdrWbaV7vbkYBfGiskQHH6
  • CookinmanCookinman Posts: 880 Officer
    Im actually headed over to Sanibel from Coral Springs for the long july 4th Weekend staying at Shalimar on the west end - I'll post a report !
    IMHO - the better fishing is in the passes to the N end of Captiva....

ALSO - If you can safely do fo, dont pass up the Concrete pilings on the Dridge TO Sanibel - Careful there are ripping currents there at times, but spme HUGE goliaths and other critters just like fishing the keys bridges ;)...
    well, it looks like i have a bit of shopping to do.. thanks for the advice, and keep it coming.. cookinman, i would love to see a report, good luck.
    1970 23 Seabird
  • surfratsurfrat Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    I stay at South Seas pretty much every year at the very northern end of Captiva, and walk the beach and around the point and all along the inside, and my go to bait has been the small mirrodine in either black or green back. Snookums ate em up, as did all the ladyfish and jacks you could want, and some mangos....
    Good Luck...
    thanks. i was planning on loading up on mirrodines and doa shrimp, and it seems like a good plan!
    1970 23 Seabird
  • krashkrash Posts: 656 Officer
    I would not forget to take and use, white and/or yellow bucktail jigs for casting in that sufrline.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
    ok thanks for the tip.. it looks like i will be broke after buying all of this stuff, but o well i need to stock up anyway.
    1970 23 Seabird
  • YaksquatchYaksquatch Posts: 499 Officer
    Skip-cast weedless soft plastics up under mangroves, ANY mangroves!!! Then twitch, pause, twitch twitch, pause, etc back out. Just be ready when a snook eats and tries to freight-train you back into the roots!

Good luck,
    Alex
    Alex,
    thanks for the help, ive been practicing my skip casts, and i can finally do them with some sort of consistency!
    1970 23 Seabird
  • Huntin foolHuntin fool Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Will these tactics work on the South Side of the Island aswell?

I planned on wading the beaches with topwater and site casting with the fly rod maybe...
  • ltkgatorltkgator Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Headed to the Shalimar on the 4th. Anyone fished the beaches lately?
  • Fl_Native61Fl_Native61 Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    Pervious post suggesting white jigs is good advice. The last few years at Bowmans beach (Sanibel) that was our best lure. Last week live bait was working best for me, what ever I could castnet out of the surf. I managed 4 snook over 30"
  • Huntin foolHuntin fool Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Correction, I'll be on the North side of the Island. What are some good artificial baits to use over there? Not one on live bait..
  • tfarmtfarm Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    I will be going to captiva with the kayaks for a week in the third week in july, and staying in the area around tween waters. i would like to catch some reds, snook and trout with doa cal tails, and gulp shrimp as well as throwing top water in the morning. any suggestions of other things to try, or what to do?

Thanks

I was just there. Satyed in a private house on the Gulf front a block from Tween Waters. Teh advice above is terrific. In all honesty, I used one bait the entire week and caught sevral species inthe trough just off the beach. A 1/4 ounce DOA shrimp in Glow color. My tally for the week was: 5 snook under 29 inches, 4 flounder (one keeper size), 5 trout (3 keeper size), and one large lady fish. The beach was kicked up the entire time coupled with wind and cloud cover. Sight fishing was non existant. All fish were caught blindcasting into trough. I did bring various Mirrodines, but did not catch anything on them. The DOA shrimp is the confidence bait for me so was really no need to change. Bring a bunch. I brought 7 and had to get more fromt he Bait Box as the flunder tore them up.

If you plan on paddling out in the back area of the sound over grass flats, the same Glow DOA is good, but better for me was a 3 or 4 inch Gulp shrimp rigged on a swimbait hook (I used Owner Twistlocks) in the "New Penny" color. Trout and reds hammer that color for some reason.

Hope you have a blast and are in 'em thick.
    thats really weird, im heading over next week and i also am staying about a block away from tween waters (just north). thanks for the advice, it looks like tou had fun. how long were you there for, and did you get to do a lot of fishing?
    1970 23 Seabird
  • tfarmtfarm Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    thats really weird, im heading over next week and i also am staying about a block away from tween waters (just north). thanks for the advice, it looks like tou had fun. how long were you there for, and did you get to do a lot of fishing?

Stayed in a private house thru Royal Shell rentals called Captiva Paradise. We always go through Royal Shell. Always have a blast out there. I look forward to it all year. We always stay for a week at the end of June. I always usually have a rod in my hand if we're at the beach. Not good at sitting on the beach for hours on end, so fishing the trough off the beach is usually where you'll find me.

Have fun!
    o ok, i think we went through kingfisher or something of that general name. does anyone have any other last minute advice?
    1970 23 Seabird