Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Ready to plant the garden

rrbgttrrbgtt Posts: 6,758 Admiral
I'm getting a later start than normal for some things in the garden, but I did get it tilled up today.
IMAG0477.jpg
From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned bobcat!

Replies

• rrbgttrrbgtt Posts: 6,758 Admiral
    Garden #2 ready.
    Basically produce in Garden #1 since it's close to the house and requires more attention
    Garden #2 will be peas and sweet corn.
    IMAG0480.jpg
    From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned bobcat!
  • Lunch Money SurfLunch Money Surf Posts: 1,033 Officer
    Mims is awesome, ya'll got some good dirt (and woods) up that way.
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    You kick garden Butt!
  • AbelmanAbelman Posts: 1,853 Captain
    You going to plant any peppers?

I do every year but if I was down your way, would have to do some datils. The sauce they make is excellent!!
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan 1985
    Both gardens have been planted. I finished up garden #2 today.
    Garden #1 has red pontiac potatoes, okra, yellow squash, zuccini, cucumbers, eggplant, radishes, and onions.
    Garden#2 has twenty 150' rows of sweet corn. (never tried to grow sweet corn before, but this is a low area that has muck from a pond I dug mixed with sand, so it's damp and acidic. I guess I"ll find out.)
    On the patio in 5 gallon pots. tomatos and peppers.

Garden #2 after planting.
    IMAG0509.jpg
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,211 AG
    Nice. Okra=Nematodes......atleast that is what my Grandpa always told me. :grin
    Keep an eye on the corn, they get some nasty worms sometimes. I'm all planted now. Ground is still on the cool side so things are growing slowly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    Mine's all in, although much, much smaller. Tomatoes are silver dollar sized and a few sweet peppers are close to picking size. Datils, cayennes and jalapenos are just flowering now. Holy crap Rusty....3000 linear feet of corn? I hope you have a roadside stand out front to sell the stuff. Or maybe trade some for bacon?
    jakedge wrote: »
    Mine's all in, although much, much smaller. Tomatoes are silver dollar sized and a few sweet peppers are close to picking size. Datils, cayennes and jalapenos are just flowering now. Holy crap Rusty....3000 linear feet of corn? I hope you have a roadside stand out front to sell the stuff. Or maybe trade some for bacon?

It's funny. Every year, I grow a little bit bigger garden. I help my father in law with his also about 3 miles down the road. He has about 5 acres worth with everything from field peas to sugar cane.

I am blessed with enough friends to take care of all the surplus.:thumbsup
  • charlie tunacharlie tuna Posts: 730 Officer
    Now that dirt looks great !!! What you need is a little family of deer !!
    Now that dirt looks great !!! What you need is a little family of deer !!

Leave the deer somewhere else. I don't want them near the garden...
  • charlie tunacharlie tuna Posts: 730 Officer
    Asked my neighbor how to grow a garden with so many deer in the area --- he told me -- "Well, it takes some studying" -- "you need to plant more than what you need and hope there is enough for you AND the deer!"
    Garden #2 full of sweet corn is coming along.
    IMAG0526.jpg
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,211 AG
    Seen lots of worms so far this year, keep an eye out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    Flash wrote: »
    Seen lots of worms so far this year, keep an eye out.

What kind of worms should I be looking out for? Cutworms, earworms, or both?
  • BluewaterfeverBluewaterfever Posts: 448 Deckhand
    Very nice, got Tomatoes, 6 different kind of pepers and cucumbers. Lots of blooms, can't wait for the harvest.
    Dumb Fish Die First
  • pinseekerpinseeker Posts: 73 Deckhand
    You need to thin that corn out. You will want the plants about a foot apart.
    Also, when the corn gets about knee high side dress it with some nitrate to give it a boost.

MmMMMmMmm fresh corn on the grill