Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

Miami Snook Fishing

Any good boatless snook fishing spots in Miami?

Replies

• RollinRollin Posts: 1,549 Captain
    There's a bunch in Hialeah.
  • Nat1976Nat1976 Posts: 497 Deckhand
    Canals that empty into the bay should have them. You gota search around, but you could start with snapper creek, and the homestead canal near bayfront park. You could try little river, I just caught a nice one off the bank. If they can live in little hatti, stands to reason they could survive in Hialeah.
  • C-MAC-MA Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Thanks man :grin
  • Captain BackyardCaptain Backyard Posts: 441 Deckhand
    C-MA wrote: »
    Any good boatless snook fishing spots in Miami?

LOL....the new forum....
  • BarjackBarjack Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    yes.

You tryin to be a dikhead or have never heard of a person lookin for some fishin advice?
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
    Barjack wrote: »
    You tryin to be a dikhead or have never heard of a person lookin for some fishin advice?

yes.
    friedpeacocks.jpg
  • JoeBCJoeBC Posts: 608 Officer
    LOL....the new forum....

this
  • flatsstalkerflatsstalker Posts: 469 Deckhand
    well i guess im going this weekend to snapper creek in search of snook-yes homestead canals are loaded but man have never had one bite
    09 Beavertail BTX
    1999 18 Dolphin backcountry
  • JoeBCJoeBC Posts: 608 Officer
    well i guess im going this weekend to snapper creek in search of snook-yes homestead canals are loaded but man have never had one bite

so you know where the fish are, time to refine those tactics. If you want stupid Snook, try the west coast or glades.
    The canal that runs along the South side of Okeechobee road holds some Snook. It's all good from Krome ave in. They get steady fishing pressure and are anything but dumb.
    Rollin wrote: »
    The canal that runs along the South side of Okeechobee road holds some Snook. It's all good from Krome ave in. They get steady fishing pressure and are anything but dumb.

The okeechobee canal holds lots of snook and tarpon have caught plenty under the metrorail crossing by 12 ave.. havent fished it for a while .The canal in miamisprings holds lots of tarpon too
    09 Beavertail BTX
    This is getting interesting. Land locked snook, tarpon, and other saltwater species are unable to spawn and reproduce, thats my understanding at least. Posible exceptions, redfish, drum, mangrove snapper, maybe they can reproduce landlocked. I've also been told that in extreem so.florida the water is so hard, that many saltwater fish have no problem with low salinities. So basically who knows where you might find some of these fish. If they're not spawning, they're only getting bigger.
    Ok, the front lake of Matheson, the landlocked lake at the end of the matheson canal, and the landlocked finger lakes at gables by the sea ARE LOADED.
    Snook, tarpon, redfish (matheson frontlake years ago), black drum, mangrove snapper, dog snapper(i know the difference), CUBERA (yes, both front lake and gables by the sea), barracuda (front lake, fairchild lakes), and jewfish (gables by the sea).
    I have either caught or seen the fish above in those mentioned lakes. The other day I biked by the front lake at matheson and saw about a 5 or 6 inch snook, thats the most interesting thing I've ever seen there. They are still getting in there. Any theories? Any naysayers?
    Nat, those places aren't landlocked and neither are the freshwater canals.
    friedpeacocks.jpg
    Freshwater canals are not landlocked, but access in and out can be limited. Front lake at matheson 100% is, not even as much as a mosquito ditch leaves the front lakes, same with the Fairchild lakes, I know I worked there. Posible that in times of extreem storm surge stuff can get in and out. At the end of the canal at matheson you will find a round lake with houses on it. Next to that lake is another rectangular lake. They may at some point years ago been conected, they no longer are in any way I know of, and I've been around the lake many times (hard pressed to see much in that lake by the way, big dog snapper). Gable by the Sea off Lugo ave, go to google earth, you will clearly see that first finger lakes you come upon are not conected to the rest, they are land locked. You can check all those lakes with google earth, and unless some one went over there and put in underground culverts, they are land locked.
    maybe someone put them there i used to know a guy in hialeah that would fish the canal on 44 st and catch snook and big bass and would release them in his lake
    09 Beavertail BTX
    Landlocked natural lakes up in Canada supposedly end up with trout in them from wadeing birds, eggs stuck on legs or they bird its self drops the fish by accident in another lake, may happen much the same way here. How do fingerling snook end up in a landlocked lake. Also landlocked lakes along the turnpike have tarpon, maybe snook
    Flatsstalker, How you gona fish the Snapper, fresh or salt side, boat or land?
    gotcha. i thought you meant all of the gables. I suppose storms have washed small fish that have grown over time. I don't know what to say about the spawning, but I've caught snook of all sizes in freshwater canals, and tarpon as well. I've also seen BIG jacks in Miami Lakes.
    friedpeacocks.jpg
    i can do either i live close to blackpoint, not far from it havent decided yet , all this talk bout all this canals making me want to go fish them. my boat is ready to go.if the weather is good might go with the boat so i can fish the mouth of it and the surrounding creeks . otherwise ill fish it by land ,what do you suggest havent really ever caught much there but then again never fished the saltwater side only fished by the dam on 57th
    09 Beavertail BTX
    Yup jacks dont give a poop either about fresh water, or being land locked.
    Flats, my parents live on snappercreek, freshwater side just north 67ave. Fishing in all those spots are so hit or miss. I guess the good part about fishing from land with lures is no commitment. Ima PM you and maybe we can figure something out
    sounds good
    09 Beavertail BTX
  • farincofarinco Posts: 223 Deckhand
    I personally know of landlocked lakes (brackish water) with the following species in them: Turtles, Cichlids (Assorted), Oscars, 20-30 tarpon, 15 or so large snook, a 50lb cubera snapper, and a number of 30+ lb jack crevalle.

Now what's even crazier is that they eat .... HOT DOGS (no, I'm not kidding).

I also have video of all of this insanity so if you guys get lucky and I feel like editing out all of the elements I know would give away the location of this precious resource, I will share :grin
    farinco let us know where it is maybe we can get some of us together and do a land fishing trip to some of our local canals
    09 Beavertail BTX
  • CaptHeavyCaptHeavy Posts: 717 Officer
    Don't give that spot away man, all it takes is for one guy to go over there with a pack of hotdogs and catch all your snook and that monster cubera. Then what? lol

I'm not one to keep fishing spots a huge secret but honestly in such a closed system, you take those fish out and they won't ever be back.
    Lady Mitchell, Haulover
    600211_10200798788204965_398630343_n.jpg
    www.CaptainHeavy.com
    Instagram: @captheavy
    CoRPS probably has the right of it. The lakes I mentioned are pretty much off limits, and the fish are finicky. Wouldn't it just be that hot dogs would be their food of choice. Unless you live on that lake in gables by the sea, you aint fishing there. I used to bike to rectangle one, thru a neighborhood, now a gated neighborhood. No fishing at all alowed in the front lakes of matheson and you risk your anal virginity fishing around the backwoods there. It's not just fishing presure that makes these fish hard to catch. For the record the only fish I've ever kept out of the front lake were mangos, I released snook and tarpon.
    The cubera there is out of hand. Only saw him once. I had a best friend growing up that everone called fatboy, we saw the cubera together, I'm like "**** Eric, LOOK AT THAT FISH, he's as big as you!! And the fish was, giant jewfish size, but he didnt have jewfish fin and tail, snapper all the way.
    Gables by the sea got them too. If you go to kendallbait&tackle Joe's got old pics of giant cubera, there from the front lake or gables by the sea, Joes forgoten witch one.
    Farnico, Please post video!! I promis not figure out where it is
  • farincofarinco Posts: 223 Deckhand
    For the record ... I will NEVER share the location of this spot, but for your viewing pleasure, enjoy :grin
  • MandMand Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    I would sacrifice my first born to find out where this is. I live in coral gables and have caught snook, Tarpon, jacks, cubera, and every other critter out here but that lake is just ridiculous. I've seen a redfish in the UM lake probably the most remarkable sighting I've had.
  • C-MAC-MA Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Dammmm that's sick, u said that's a lake?!
    Dang !!!!! Now that's awesome !!!:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup