Skip to main content
Home Boating

Tunnel?

gumgatorgumgator Posts: 124 Officer
edited June 3 in Boating #1
I read a while back about a tunnel prototype in the 18. One with a jack plate as well. Most of the places I run are less than 1 foot and would like a jack Plate. Anyone know?
a733be5f-c7db-41a8-912c-98a88c9a32ca.jpg

Replies

• Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    I haven't heard of one. Your motor tilts up and runs just fine in low water without a jack plate. I have run in really shallow water with the motor tilted up. You just cant start out in it.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • trponhuntertrponhunter Posts: 249 Deckhand
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    You just cant start out in it.

Unless you have twin rotating props!!!:grin
    http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/images/smilies/gr_grin.gif
    *Previous - 2000 Egret 189 carbon w/ vmax 150 - twin rotating prop
    *Previous - 2008 Egret 189 carbon w/ ETEC 150
    *Previous 2010 Beavertail Vengence w/ETEC 90
    *Current - 2015 Beavertail BTV w/ Suzuki 90
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    @ MSG -You Showoff
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • MonomanMonoman Posts: 977 Officer
    Call (252) 948-0004 and ask for Frank. He should be able to answer your question. Be sure to let us know what he says.
    This signature intentionally left blank.
  • mitzmitz Posts: 61 Deckhand
    this is from another form on a jackplate topic.... i have no experience with this.

"Put you tabs down about 1/2 way, trim the motor up until it just starts to blow out. Then bump the trim back down a click or two and you will be surprised just how shallow it will run."
  • JBLocalJBLocal Posts: 154 Officer
    Trim tabs all the way down, trim motor all the way down.....jump up....than after on plane imediately start trimming motor up....look back and make sure your motor is pissing...you will run very shallow like this.After doing this you will find the sweet spot.On my motor i can trim it up to the sky and still hold water pressure, and run very very shallow...just dont set down until you find a deeper hole/spot to float in.
  • MkoonsMkoons Posts: 69 Deckhand
    Funny story, was in Tampa last weekend on the negative tide. A few buddies and I were wading inside the outside bar of a flat when a JP boat decided to run at full speed over the bar only to put down and stick his boat. It was impressive to see the boat run over the bar but the guy blew out all the fish. A total idiot. He and his friend just sat there looking at each other while the boat sat in a foot of water.
  • BorrowerBorrower Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    I would caution against trim tabs all the way the down as with many boats this will cause the bow to stuff down too much. Practice this first in deeper areas to get used to it and avoid **** up the bottom.
  • UnderslotUnderslot Posts: 370 Officer
    I was running 40 mph in 1' of water yest doing this... Who needs a JP!
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,394 Officer
    Once you run the boat like that and get the feel it's amazing how shallow it will run!
  • JBLocalJBLocal Posts: 154 Officer
    Tabs all the way down will not "stuff" an Egret bow. Ive been doing this with a few boats i have owned over the years and the Egret does it much better and handles it with speed....no problem.As far as messing up the bottom....that is for only certain areas of the state....where i live you will mess your boat up and not the bottom.

Definitely try it out before attempting to go over a shallow area that you have not run before.Or you might find yourself stuck.
  • gumgatorgumgator Posts: 124 Officer
    Monoman wrote: »
    Call (252) 948-0004 and ask for Frank. He should be able to answer your question. Be sure to let us know what he says.

Just spoke with Frank about the tunnel. The prototype he has in wood, in the 16, and it is his personal boat. Does not make it in the 18.

However, I am also going to upgrading to the 18, from my 16, which should be hitting the market soon.

You probably remember it. If you know someone on the lookout for an Egret, let me know (2010, 45 hours, etec 130)
    a733be5f-c7db-41a8-912c-98a88c9a32ca.jpg