Home General Hunting

Single hens up and about...

AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,702 Captain
I was going to hunt this afternoon. But got up here to my lease and found some dip schitt stole a feeder of mine. I was too furious to go and sit so I just rode around all afternoon. I saw a TON of single hens. Is this a sign they are bred out, and nesting? 2 weeks ago i saw most of the birds still in flocks. Today I didn't see 2 birds together at all

Replies

• gator4evergator4ever Posts: 2,595 Captain
    Yeah tell me about it. I had Ray with me last week and had single hens coming in.

Another member even saw a hen with younguns on the ground.

Early spring = early breeding I guess
    "sometimes it's OK just to kill a little time" my grandpa 1972
  • SwampratSwamprat Posts: 1,058 Officer
    Last weekend to and fro from Georgia I saw a pile of single hens feeding in the ditches. Everything is a month ahead of schedule.

Actually heard a quail whistling for a mate at the house on Tuesday....way to early for that.
    Jackson Cuda 12

A wade fisherman is the most simplistic but the most adept for the quarry they are after. They are immersed in their challenger's habitat and are in tune with the subtle changes of current, temperature and bottom. In order to be successful at this noble and primal fishing form one must be submerged from their goobs to their boobs, anyone doing this outside of that boundary is either sunbathing or swimming. S.F. Stewart 2015
  • huntmstrhuntmstr Posts: 6,290 Admiral
    Yup, way ahead of schedule. Not many birds gonna be killed in the weeks to come unless you're lucky enough to hunt private lands late in the day and catch receptive gobblers in the afternoons; at least down in peninsular Florida. the panhandle is also ahead of schedule but not as bad as the central and southern portions of the state.
    Bushnell, Primos and Final Approach Pro Staff. Proud member of the Fab Five, Big Leaugers and Bobble Head 4.

I had you pissed off at hello.
  • AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,702 Captain
    I managed to get myself off the ledge this morning. Nothing special, nothing big but he will stink up a fry pan of grease. Bad thunderstorms all over and i gave him a load of #5's before i got drenched

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
  • gator4evergator4ever Posts: 2,595 Captain
    AllenR wrote: »
    I managed to get myself off the ledge this morning. Nothing special, nothing big but he will stink up a fry pan of grease. Bad thunderstorms all over and i gave him a load of #5's before i got drenched

Goof for you Allen way to go.
    "sometimes it's OK just to kill a little time" my grandpa 1972
  • Larry MacLarry Mac Posts: 5,466 Admiral
    AllenR wrote: »

WTG Allen. Glad to know you connected despite the evil hens.
  • DoradoDreaminDoradoDreamin Posts: 2,058 Captain
    Congrats Allen! On Saturday I had 3 hens and 3 gobblers come by in one group so at least up where I am in N FL, it isn't over quite yet.
  • davidfloridadavidflorida Posts: 1,138 Officer
    congrats on your bird allen. So for us novice turkey hunters does this mean the rut is over and the toms are done chasing tail.
    If you can't hear it your not listening.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,344 Moderator
    I'm in the Panhandle on private land and it's been pretty quiet. Saw a single hen walking side of road yesterday afternoon on my way in. Had a jake come by while I was set up. Last Saturday I hunted from before sunrise until 2:00. I had that same jake come by in the PM exactly like he did yesterday. Also had a single hen cross the road at abou 70 yards around 9:00 am.

I'm not turkey pro by any stretch, but my gutt tells me things are kind of winding down. Not sure when I'll get to try next. Hopefully Saturdy morning if I can get some house leave. I really want my bird #2.

Allen... congrats on the bird!
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer

I'm not turkey pro by any stretch, but my gutt tells me things are kind of winding down.

It aint like hunting deer and rut. It gets better the more hens that get bred. They will go to the nest mid morning leaving the gobbers to prowl around lookin for love.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,344 Moderator
    Ah, I hear ya. What about the gobbling? Does it subside? Not that it reall matters... it's not like I can hear a gobble and go to them with only 4 acres. It is nice to hear when you're sitting there basically deer hunting them, though.

I did try to make a move on one the Sat morning when I shot my first one. I got his attention and he actually started closing the distance... gobbling his head off... but I think I may have over called him, as he eventually got no closer and went off to my right. Of course, three hours later at 12:20 I shot one while being quiet and it came from the EXACT direction that gobbler had gone when I moved on him. Very well could have been the same bird.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • DoradoDreaminDoradoDreamin Posts: 2,058 Captain
    In my brief experience, yes they start to gobble less as the season goes on but that does not mean your chances of getting a bird go down. Other than this year, I've had better luck as the season went on. This year, the birds do seem to be quieter than previous years as others have stated. I got both of my birds this year by calling in the boss hen versus calling in the gobbler. Once I had her attention and she knew where I was, I only made a few quiet clucks or occasional quiet yelps when she would call. Both times, she brought gobblers with her. Course, it helps to be setup where you know the turkeys want to be anyways.