Home General Hunting

Stay Outta Woods

deerfootdeerfoot Posts: 493 Deckhand
Was hunting a wma near inverness and had a gobbler roosted in some pines waiting on daylight.Was way back in and expected to see nobody around.At 10 min. until daylight about 6;50a a fellow comes down the trail shining a light and flushes bird.Then goes 100 yards out and sits against a tree.Why cant die hard turkey hunters be in their blind set up for the hunt by 6;15 or so.I heard trucks coming over cattle guards at 7;00a barreling a$$ to get where they are going.Unreal.They shouldn't be in the woods at all.And the guy walking on a trail 20 feet wide with daylight cracking shining a light scared to death of dark stay home or go to publix and buy a turkey and tell everyone you harvested a bird.:banghead:nono

Replies

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,691 AG
    Citrus or Flying Eagle?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • deerfootdeerfoot Posts: 493 Deckhand
  • deerfootdeerfoot Posts: 493 Deckhand
    On top of that I drove 116 miles one way to get there and scout the bird!Public land hunting at its finest!
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,336 Moderator
    I used a red LED head lamp for my trips in. It just puts out a red glow. I like it a lot during deer season because I'd rather risk them seeing a red glow, than having my clumbsy butt crack some big ol' limp, or fall into a palmetto or someting. All in all, I risk the visual dection for a silent entry.

Should I re-evaluate this techinque for turkey? Does the red glow lamp help, or should I find my way in by brail breaking each and everything within 6' of me?

Thanks,

PH80
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • SwampratSwamprat Posts: 1,058 Officer
    This is why I do not hunt public anymore.....why do everything right in order to have some jackwagon mess it up.

For the record....I do not use a light going in or coming out at night. I am blessed with pretty good night vision. I spend enough time during the offseason scouting so I know my entry/exit trails pretty well.
    Jackson Cuda 12

A wade fisherman is the most simplistic but the most adept for the quarry they are after. They are immersed in their challenger's habitat and are in tune with the subtle changes of current, temperature and bottom. In order to be successful at this noble and primal fishing form one must be submerged from their goobs to their boobs, anyone doing this outside of that boundary is either sunbathing or swimming. S.F. Stewart 2015
  • huntmstrhuntmstr Posts: 6,290 Admiral
    Yeah, I quit using a light too. If I can't find my way in and out in the dark, then there's something seriously wrong. On the rare chance I do need a light, I use a green or red led.
    Bushnell, Primos and Final Approach Pro Staff. Proud member of the Fab Five, Big Leaugers and Bobble Head 4.

I had you pissed off at hello.
    10-4. I'll go slower and keep the light off this am.

Hopefully I'll be walking downwind. Not going to lie... the prospect of walking up on that 400# bear is a big unsettling; call me a **** if you want. Truth be known, I shouldbe most worried about lightning today. :-(
  • ShineShine Posts: 835 Officer
    That is the problem with turkey hunting - if the few minutes around first light goes bad and it can blow your whole day. That was my second day this season. In a public land area I have hunted for years, we saw more guys on the hot spots last Sunday then I have ever seen. Birds were rock silent. Been doing more fishing this season – it’s warm and they are biting. Don’t like how the winds are blowing, change your sail.
  • JoshAaron91685JoshAaron91685 Posts: 723 Officer
    I use a dim light and try to be quiet. I've bumped birds, but I've bumped more birds being noisy in the dark because I couldnt see.
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 3,084 Moderator
    I hear ya man. I had em all over me at Upper Hillsborough this year on a couple of deer hunts. I'm 3.5 miles down a closed road and I have "handicapped" hunters breaking the rules driving down roads they aren't supposed to be on with multiple people in the truck walking down the main trails the deer will be on 10 minutes after daylight.
    I'm always amazed when I hear trucks flying down the road right at daylight. Especially when it's the peak of the rut or during a hard to get quota hunt. I sat there the last two years listening to birds gobble and then hear "hens" following them yelping away on a box call sounding like no real turkey has ever sounded no matter how drunk they might've been. Then you hear the gobbles get further and further away yet the "hens" continue calling.
    I try not to complain too much though. If they were smarter they would kill more game and there'd be less game in the woods. At least they're out there enjoying themselves and, more importantly, buying licenses. Once you learn how to hunt around them it makes the game quite a bit easier. I've got this down pat during deer season...turkey season is still giving me some fits though.
  • shempshemp Posts: 616 Officer
    I use a light as often as not to get close to my spot. Red is best when you are kinda close (350 yards and in). Of course, you could wait till there's a little bit of visibility to get in. I'm usually in there so early the turkeys probably see a light in their dream and don't spook.

Depends on the terrain, too
  • ChopperChopper Posts: 104 Officer
    I say make lemonade! I grew up mostly hunting fall birds. We'd bust them up then sit down and wait for them to filter/flock back up with a little calling mixed in. One morning by accident I got a little to close to the spring roost and sent birds a flying everywhere. Granted it was pretty early and before the LED craze. Sat down and an hour after flydown here comes mr big. We went home together. So the next day I went in and roosted some birds in another spot. Went in the next morning and blew them up. Well an hour later my son and I walk out with mr bigs cousin.
    I use a dim light and try to be quiet. I've bumped birds, but I've bumped more birds being noisy in the dark because I couldnt see.

This has always been my toughts on the matter. If soft red glow helps me remain silent, then I feel like it's worth it. I went in Saurday Friday morning before work in he pitch black and I felt like I was just making too much noise. Who knows.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,880 Captain
    10/4

Last year during a section of the muzzleload season,even though private lease holder I went to the surf fish beach.It was snowing in Ohio.....
    Also spent considerable time on public WMA.

we need more public lands,protected lease areas.

Great to have the choices
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink