Home General Hunting

A great public land experience

KayakMacGyverKayakMacGyver Posts: 1,009 Officer
No kill here, but I wanted to share a good example of hunter etiquette that occurred this morning on public land here in the Panhandle.

It was real foggy this morning and I was set up near a cypress bottom that I hunted during archery season. Lots of turkey tracks and sign, just a real good looking area. This is a really limited hunt, so there aren't a lot of permits available, not that many areas that hold birds though either. Well, this morning, I got set up and waited..and waited...and waited..but heard nothing. I Expected as much with the fog we had ( Less than 20 ft. visibility), so I wasn't too worried about it. Then, at 8 or so, I see another hunter walking through the brush in my direction.

What happened next surprised me. He saw me, I acknowledged him, he gave me an apologetic wave and then turned around. There was enough fresh sign in the area that he could have easily walked past me, set up, and started calling....without giving a rats behind about my presence. For once, I had a good public land encounter with another hunter. I hunt a lot of public land, and it never turns out this way for me. I prefer his approach on my own trips, but so often I find folks just don't care.

It gave me goose bumps when he did that. I wish I could have said thanks. So, if you're the guy who ran into a leafy suit this morning with a long black stick gun, thanks...
They Can't Us "You Should Have Been There Yesterday"...........Because We Were!

Replies

• DONY 1DONY 1 Posts: 557 Officer
    Glad to hear there are some of us left. I came across the same situation a few weeks back. Only I was the guy that walked up on someones dekes. As soon as I saw them I quit heading towards the birds going off and turned around and left the area. I wasn't too happy that he was set up in the middle of the trail close to the road thus blocking out the whole area but I immediately left. I ended up working a bird a 1000 yds away anyways so it worked out. All but the kill.
    Don't cost nuttin to be nice
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,359 Moderator
    Good deal.

I had fairly thick fog, but nothing like what you're talking about. It was still very very soggy out. Only thing I heard were three or 4 birds fly down. They did that late... at 7:21 central. I never saw them, but their fly down cackle was the only turkey vocalization that I'm sure I heard. Might... MIGHT have heard some very far off yelping around 7:45 central. I never saw the fly down birds. From a direction oppposite from where I heard them fly down, I had a jake cross the road.

Very very quiet out there.

I have a wedding party in Chipley, FL tomorrow night. I'm still going to be out there tomorrow morning. I don't think it's going to rain the whole morning. Just means that I"m going to be whooped at the party, because I plan on being all dug in and 100% ready to hunt at least 45 minutes before sunrise.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • SwampratSwamprat Posts: 1,058 Officer
    Hey....I live in Chipley, well just South but North of Wassau...no joke. Ain't alot of places to have a party up here. I take it your bride to be must be from this area or maybe it is somebody else you know.

Congrats though on your upcomig wedding and a big salute for many years of happy marriage.

I will be up at my lease outside outside of Donaldsonville, Ga chasing birds this weekend but if not I might have crashed your party.

I was actually down in PC at Baypoint this evening for my daughter's prom......wife, other daughter and a bunch of folks are staying all weekend. I chose birds over beach.
    Jackson Cuda 12

A wade fisherman is the most simplistic but the most adept for the quarry they are after. They are immersed in their challenger's habitat and are in tune with the subtle changes of current, temperature and bottom. In order to be successful at this noble and primal fishing form one must be submerged from their goobs to their boobs, anyone doing this outside of that boundary is either sunbathing or swimming. S.F. Stewart 2015
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,359 Moderator
    Yep... she's from those parts. I'm off to the woods now, but must be out in time to get my ears raised, showered and in the car by a decent hour.

Thunder boomers down here right now... not sure why my sorry butt is out of bed, but I'm going to give it a shot.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • ChopperChopper Posts: 104 Officer
    Years ago on the day my son took his first we had the same thing happen. Had birds banging away on the roost and my son and I ease in and get set up. The birds flew down and continued to bang away but headed north from us. We did an end around and got set back up and listened to those birds on and off for an hour and a half. Well they were slowly making their way to us and I see a guy slipping in from behind us. Once he saw our set up he gave a knod and left back out the way he came. Few minutes later the flock came into the zone and big bird down for my son. That was around 15 years ago and we still talk about it. He learned more that day than just about squeezing a trigger.
  • shempshemp Posts: 618 Officer
    Good to hear positive stories...same thing happened to me in a central fl. wma last thursday. I don't get upset about somebody walking into my setup, just when people don't turn about or explain where they're headed once you all acknowlede eachothers presence. Honest mistakes happen, WTG to all sportsmen showing character over selfishness