Home General Hunting

Thermacell Butane

SwampratSwamprat Posts: 1,058 Officer
Just a heads up....went to Wally World this afternoon to get a refill pack for my T-Cell...sold out. Skeets are bad and it is turk season. Burned thru 3 butane cylinders hunting fours days earlier so I needed some more.

Saw they were gone and on a whim went over to where they sell hair dryers and curling irons and they had some with a Con-Aire brand name to use on cordless hair curlers but it states is compatible with a T-cell. They were on clearance, 2 pack for 3 bucks. They had 3 left so I bought all 3.

Not bad, 6 cannisters for 9.00, have plenty of pads from all of the refill packages I have bought previous so it worked out good. Tested one and it works no problem.

Not sure if every Wally Mart is doing this but at least go check.
Jackson Cuda 12

A wade fisherman is the most simplistic but the most adept for the quarry they are after. They are immersed in their challenger's habitat and are in tune with the subtle changes of current, temperature and bottom. In order to be successful at this noble and primal fishing form one must be submerged from their goobs to their boobs, anyone doing this outside of that boundary is either sunbathing or swimming. S.F. Stewart 2015

Replies

• mrbillmrbill Posts: 1,194 Officer
    been doing it for years but most stores got wiseand stopped carrying them !!!1
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,657 AG
    It's alot cheaper to refill the original containers by buying a $2 can of butane. Now I need to figure out how to treat and reuse the pads. I know some folks soak them in perythren but I'm not sure it is good to breath that stuff.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • roachbusterroachbuster Posts: 553 Officer
    Perethyn like in the stuff u spray for fleas?
  • ChopperChopper Posts: 104 Officer
    I think CVS carries the butane as well.
    Perethyn like in the stuff u spray for fleas?

yes
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • KayakMacGyverKayakMacGyver Posts: 1,009 Officer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKb4YX_6Iw4

This is what you need right here. I did this 3 years ago and never looked back. I go through WAY more butane then I do pads. I do, however, buy the pads whenever I need them. You end up with an extra butane canister every now and then. I make refills for my buddies with those.

I've looked EVERYWHERE to find the stuff that thermacell uses in their pads (alletherin) but the only place I was able to find it was China. I contacted a supplier and they only wanted to deal on a large scale volume of at least 50 (55 gal) barrels. I'm not prepared for that kind of investment.

Thermacell has a great product, I just wish they didn't gouge the prices so bad. That said, put me in skeeter infested woods for one morning without a Thermacell and I'd probably give them everything in my wallet.
    They Can't Us "You Should Have Been There Yesterday"...........Because We Were!
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,344 Moderator
    Try the cosmetics isle. The same catriges that goe in women's portable hair curlers go in thermacell units. I thnik they're pink, but hey... I'd rather be called a name than be carried away by little helicopters.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • gator4evergator4ever Posts: 2,595 Captain
    The name is pyrethrins or allethrins.
    "sometimes it's OK just to kill a little time" my grandpa 1972
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    Try the cosmetics isle. The same catriges that goe in women's portable hair curlers go in thermacell units. I thnik they're pink, but hey...

Interesting - thanks for that info. I'll be looking in the women's Dept tomorrow. :thumbsup
    Here yall go not on close out but much better than paying the regular price: 5.99 / 2

http://www.folica.com/checkout/shopping-cart
  • SwampratSwamprat Posts: 1,058 Officer
    Try the cosmetics isle. The same catriges that goe in women's portable hair curlers go in thermacell units. I thnik they're pink, but hey... I'd rather be called a name than be carried away by little helicopters.

Read my OP.....went to the hair dryer/curling iron section:grin

And by the way these were clear colored cannisters but with a T-cell they could have been up a drug mules butt for 3 days and I will still buy them. Therma-Cell is the one of the top 5-7 things ever invented IMO
    Jackson Cuda 12

A wade fisherman is the most simplistic but the most adept for the quarry they are after. They are immersed in their challenger's habitat and are in tune with the subtle changes of current, temperature and bottom. In order to be successful at this noble and primal fishing form one must be submerged from their goobs to their boobs, anyone doing this outside of that boundary is either sunbathing or swimming. S.F. Stewart 2015
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,344 Moderator
    Swamprat wrote: »
    Read my OP.....went to the hair dryer/curling iron section:grin

And by the way these were clear colored cannisters but with a T-cell they could have been up a drug mules butt for 3 days and I will still buy them. Therma-Cell is the one of the top 5-7 things ever invented IMO

I see, said the blind man. My bad. Reading comprehension was never a strong suit of mine!
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
    Top 5 to 7?

Well maybe after:
    The Wheel
    Penicillin
    Eye Glasses

I would say top 4.

Growing up hunting the glades way before the thermacell. I can you tell you that it was tough without it.

I can only imagine what it would have been like slooshing through Big Cypress chasing hounds with a thermacell in tow. Dont think it would have stayed lit LOL. Even duck hunting the flooded cane fields and rice field it would have been a challenge.

You can refill them without buying the the torch or adding anything to the empty container.
  • Lineman North FloridaLineman North Florida Posts: 369 Deckhand
    micci_man wrote: »
    You can refill them without buying the the torch or adding anything to the empty container.
    I tried to re-fill with butane from Publix and I haven't got one to fill yet, I watched a You-tube video that said all you needed to do was pull the brass valve out then take a small screw and pop the little stopper out that was supposed to prevent you from re-filling and I did all that on 3 different thermacell butane catridges and I have yet to get 1 to re-fill, obviously I have not done something right.:huh
    Remove the o ring, pull brass fitting out, take a safety pin and stick it in where the brass was to make a small holl. Take $2 can of butane from walmart and fill to half full. Put your finger over the hole where you refilled until you snap brass fitting back on. Pur oring back on. I have 2 that I refill like this several times a year.