“What else has she done? Female, wounded veteran … ehhh

GardawgGardawg Posts: 8,208 Admiral
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/30/joe-walsh-tammy-duckworth_n_1391221.html

While in Iraq in 2004, Duckworth lost both of her legs and part of her arm when her helicopter was hit by a rocket-propelled grenade. Walsh mentioned his opponent's service in an interview with Politico this week, but seemed less-than-impressed by Duckworth's credentials

Walsh ..... representative of the Tea Party favorites ...
“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”

Replies

• dstockwelldstockwell Posts: 13,797 AG
    What else would any one expect from an Illinois representative.
    It is not the responsibility of the United States to solve the problems of other countries.
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 8,208 Admiral
    dstockwell wrote: »

what else would one expect from the Tea Party?

This reminds me of another election in which a Republican showed contempt toward a veteran's service:

Max Cleland was an army captain during the Vietnam War. He was awarded both the Silver Star and the Bronze Star for valor. He also had both legs and one arm blown off by a grenade.

Cleland, a moderate Democrat, became a U.S. senator from Georgia. Running for re-election in 2002, he was leading in the polls against his Republican challenger, Saxby Chambliss. But just a couple of weeks before the election, Chambliss starting running a TV ad criticizing Cleland for voting against parts of Bush's homeland security bill. The ad showed pictures of Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein, and a narrator declared that Cleland lacked "courage."

The ads were dropped after John McCain and Chuck Hagel complained. But emotions were still running high only a year after the 9/11 attacks. Cleland lost. And Chambliss --who had received draft deferments during the Vietnam War and never served a day in the military -- won.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

• stsimonsstsimons Posts: 7,292 Admiral
    dstockwell wrote: »

Yup...

and... I am sure this lady just loves the huffpost using her injuries as a political football. Classy stuff right there.
    What else would you expect from U.S. Rep. Joe Walsh..
    It is not the responsibility of the United States to solve the problems of other countries.
  • ac2020ac2020 Posts: 5,730 Officer
    Gardawg wrote: »

Stupid comment. Its like saying, "what else would you expect from OWS" just because some idiot put his *** on a cop car lol.

Both the tea party and OWS had important and strong messages to say.

Of course, you can just be a drone and dismiss it because of an individual political jerk if you want. You have the right to be ignorant in America.

Carry on.
    The only time republicans and democrats are right is when they're blaming each other. :USA
  • Tug Boat BobTug Boat Bob Posts: 2,570 Captain

Max Cleland was an army captain during the Vietnam War. He was awarded both the Silver Star and the Bronze Star for valor. He also had both legs and one arm blown off by a grenade.
    Would you care to share the whole story about the grenade event, if you know it?
    "Great lives never go out, they go on."
    Benjamin Harrison 1833-1901
    23rd President of the United States, 1889-1893
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 27,194 AG
    Would you care to share the whole story about the grenade event, if you know it?

why does it matter?

Mini Mart Magnate

• mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    So if your a vet or a wounded vet you need not be scrutinized or go thru the election process?
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 19,392 AG

This reminds me of another election in which a Republican showed contempt toward a veteran's service:

Cleland, a moderate Democrat, became a U.S. senator from Georgia. Running for re-election in 2002, he was leading in the polls against his Republican challenger, Saxby Chambliss. But just a couple of weeks before the election, Chambliss starting running a TV ad criticizing Cleland for voting against parts of Bush's homeland security bill. The ad showed pictures of Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein, and a narrator declared that Cleland lacked "courage."

The ads were dropped after John McCain and Chuck Hagel complained. But emotions were still running high only a year after the 9/11 attacks. Cleland lost. And Chambliss --who had received draft deferments during the Vietnam War and never served a day in the military -- won.

So you are saying military service trumps all? Funny, I dont remember your indignation in 2008.
  • IchthusphileIchthusphile Posts: 2,462 Officer

America had a chance to seat a true Statesman in McCain , instead we got a Constitutional Teacher's aid who has done nothing but try to subvert the Constitution and divide this country's citizens.

I think we will see a wave of returning veterans running for office on both sides and it's going to be a net positive for this country. With that said, running for office is a full-contact sport with few boundaries and no consequences, as we see from the Freedom of speech Super PACS
  • heathenheathen Posts: 7,080 Officer
    America had a chance to seat a true Statesman in McCain , instead we got a Constitutional Teacher's aid who has done nothing but try to subvert the Constitution and divide this country's citizens.

I think we will see a wave of returning veterans running for office on both sides and it's going to be a net positive for this country. With that said, running for office is a full-contact sport with few boundaries and no consequences, as we see from the Freedom of speech Super PACS

the problem with mccain was his temper and the blithering quitter he picked as VP.
    mustang190 wrote: »
    So if your a vet or a wounded vet you need not be scrutinized or go thru the election process?

A vets sacrifice should not be dismissed as trivial ...

which is what Tea Party favorite Walsh did ...

So you are saying military service trumps all? Funny, I dont remember your indignation in 2008.

Nope ... I'm saying military service and the sacrifice required should not be dismissed a trivial ... no one trivialized McCains service record ...

• riverdiverriverdiver Posts: 2,024 Captain
    A vets sacrifice should not be dismissed as trivial ...

which is what Tea Party favorite Walsh did ...

To be fair, McCain's service was trivialized by the left, and it was also trivialized here.

As for Heathen's remarks about Palin, for all of her shortcomings she's still smarter than the bulk of her detractors, and definitely sharper than Biden.
  • Tug Boat BobTug Boat Bob Posts: 2,570 Captain
    cadman wrote: »
    why does it matter?
    Ask Gardawg. That's why he's not answering my original question.
    "Great lives never go out, they go on."
    Benjamin Harrison 1833-1901
    23rd President of the United States, 1889-1893
  • onthefiftyonthefifty Posts: 4,075 Captain
    “What else has she done? "

How does this question lack validity? Is she a "shoe in" due to her service and injuries? What qualifies her for office?
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
    I danced with a girl who was in a wheelchair once while partying in Orlando. it was fun. I bagged a girl who wasn't in one, but had I not, I would've bagged that one. I never asked her if she was a vet.
    friedpeacocks.jpg
    I danced with a girl who was in a wheelchair once while partying in Orlando. it was fun. I bagged a girl who wasn't in one, but had I not, I would've bagged that one. I never asked her if she was a vet.

What the flock are you doin in pols, you ot ph?

:grin
    riverdiver wrote: »
    To be fair, McCain's service was trivialized by the left, and it was also trivialized here.

As for Heathen's remarks about Palin, for all of her shortcomings she's still smarter than the bulk of her detractors, and definitely sharper than Biden.

McCain's military service was one thing, the fact now that he is a warmonger is another.
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
    onthefifty wrote: »
    What the flock are you doin in pols, you ot ph?

:grin

well, I have really taken a liking to this "new posts" feature. nice to see you pal, I think..
    friedpeacocks.jpg
    well, I have really taken a liking to this "new posts" feature. nice to see you pal, I think..

Glad to see you here... again. No thinkin' about it... sget 'em...