Skip to main content
Home Boating

Lowrance LCX-28C HD sonar sensitivity issues...

fasttimesfasttimes Posts: 177 Deckhand
I'm trying to hunt down the cause of a problem I'm getting with the sonar on my LCX-28C unit.

What is happening is that in shallow water, say under 20 feet the sonar is completely washed out, bright in one or two colors and you cant see bottom. If I turn the sensitivity down to say 33% then the bottom shows, but the norm factory setting for this should be in the 70%-80% range. Out in deeper water the problem isn't as bad, I can read bottom at normal sensitivity ranges but I'm not picking up many fish on the sonar. I don't think it's a noise issue since I was told by Lowrance that noise would show up as artifacts and lines.

Leading clues, I recently I added a stereo and washdown pump to the battery load, but even when they are off the problem persists. I would suspect that their install is a cause, but I can't pin-point it. The two recent additions were installed by a professional and he can't seem to locate any issues with the install.

I've called Lowrance support and was given a rediculous response that it probably is "cold water" upwelling. I know that is not the case, since the unit was working fine prior to the stereo and washdown install just a few days prior.

Has anyone expierenced anything like this before? Any advice is appreciated in hunting down this problem. Thanks.

Replies

• troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Captain
    Make sure in your settings you have the surface noise rejection set higher and also be sure you have the right transducer selected as well. Try slowing down the ping speed as well. PM me if you need further assistance as I don't visit this forum often.
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber