Home General Hunting

Turkey woods this morning...

Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,336 Moderator
Last Saturday morning I had gobbling all around me and it started at 6:00 on the dot with approximately a 6:30 sunrise.

Got out there today and at 6:15, nothing. 6:30 nothing. 6:45 nothing. 7:00 nothing. At this point I let out a flydown cackle and then did some light cutting... quite for maybe 10 minutes and then yelped once. Figured I'd stay quiet after that.

7:15 nothing.

7:21... fly down.

WHOA! Sunrise at 6:30 and they stayed on roost until 7:21. Is that common? It was warm and foggy out, so I guess that may had sometnig to do with it. I'm also afraid that I might have had something to do with it because when I heard these hens cackle on the way down they were pretty darn close. Before they flew down I THOUGH I'd heard some little clucks and stuff and I thought they were close birds on the ground, but I guess they were not. You guys think what I was hearing could have been more distant than what I thought they were and that they were putts from nervous birds on the roost? It sounded like birds hit the ground maybe 60 yards behind me.

I was short on time this am, so I wnated to get close. Guess I did.

I kept my box call silent after my first little series and at 7:51 I had a jake cross the little road silently. REALLY wanted to sit longer, but at 8:01 I was out of the blind and on my way.

I fear that I got to close to that area... an area which I didn't even know roosted birds, but it sure sounded like it did. Regardless, I dind't hear ANY distant gobbles either, so they all had their mouths shut regardless. It was VERY still and I heard nothing.

That being said, I'm still confident that had I been able to sit longer / all day, eventually a turkey would have come walking by. Saw some fresh stuff on the ground, but not as clsoe as last sat. My nearest fresh sign was probably at 50 yards and ton at 70 yards... BIG heavy tracks. They're still using that road, just different parts of it. I guess that's to be expected.

Anyway, I was outside the blind at 8:01 and then chaned and at my desk by 8:55. Not bad.

Oh... will a live turkey yelp prompt a song bird to sound off? This morning I kept hearing (from a long ways off) what sounded just like a yelp, and then two notes into it it would go from scratchy (like a turkey) to song birdish adn it would finish off almost like a yelp, but more melodic, clear and song like. Anybody ever heard that? Song bird the whole time, or will a song bird join in with the turkey yelp and the turkey then go quiet? I'm inclined to say that it was song bird start to finish, but the first two notes sounded JUST like a distant yelp.

On more thing... in a ground blind... do you guys run your thermacell on a still morning with only one window open. I had just my front window down and only a couple inches so there was just one 3' slit across the front and the thermacell started to get to me. Little bit of a head ache and it irritated my throat somewhat.
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Replies

• James243James243 Posts: 795 Officer
    Maybe there was a mockingbird imitating the turkey.
  • ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    I bumped a hen off the limb this morning at 8:45/7:45 to you, and the weather was sunnier than it's been all week. They are strange birds and do unexpected things regularly.
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    They are strange birds indeed. Another member of our lease had a mature Tom stay in the tree until 9:20 last Saturday morning. The hens and jakes all flew down at sunrise, but the big boy stayed on his perch, watching all the action.
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • Larry MacLarry Mac Posts: 5,466 Admiral
    When I use the popup type blind, I leave the thermacell just outside the blind. Close enough-- but yes don't use it in a closed space
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,880 Captain
    Nice piece Panhandler......

I fell asleep in a zipped up ground blind with Thermacell burning..........the good news is the stank and scratchy metallic dry mouth woke me up..............looked out and saw a decoy had been knocked over ................
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,880 Captain
    flydown wrote: »
    They are strange birds indeed. Another member of our lease had a mature Tom stay in the tree until 9:20 last Saturday morning. The hens and jakes all flew down at sunrise, but the big boy stayed on his perch, watching all the action.

"Smart",and effective for a bird in heavily hunted country,ethical hunters aspiring to Roost protocol.
    Evolution????
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink