Home General Hunting

Refinishing a Remington 700

flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
Gentlemen,
I am thinking about refinishing my 700 this summer, and have been doing a bit of research (YouTube, etc...) on how to go about it.
Anyone here ever do this, and shorten the learning curve?
DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do

Replies

• AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,702 Captain
    Wood or barrel? or both?
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    AllenR wrote: »
    Wood or barrel? or both?

Just the stock, Allen. Want to get rid of the shiny polyurethane, and refinish it with a satin tung oil.
  • AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,702 Captain
    You'll need to get the old finish off. I use an aerosol stripper from Wal mart(no pun intended) and krud kutterto get the bulk off of it. Once the finish is off, you will need to sweat the rest of the finish, grease and oil out of the wood using an iron and a wet rag

Here is a youtube series I used a s a guide line
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p21MKDi3r8o
  • ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    This is going to derail a bit and I'll apologize in advance because I have nothing to add other than questions.

I've always been told not to refinish guns because it will devalue them, both bluing and woodwork. What say yall?
  • Duckbill68Duckbill68 Posts: 267 Deckhand
    I use Citri-Strip. You can find it just about anywhere. Brush it on liberally and wrap it in foil. It breaks the old finish up nicely. I use Scotch-Brite pads to clean it off. Then get the mineral spirits after it. I've done several rifle stocks that way and it's good stuff.
    ducknfish wrote: »
    This is going to derail a bit and I'll apologize in advance because I have nothing to add other than questions.

I've always been told not to refinish guns because it will devalue them, both bluing and woodwork. What say yall?

I have heard the same thing. Not concerned with resale on this particular gun. Hopefully it will be mine as long as I am alive.
    AllenR wrote: »
    You'll need to get the old finish off. I use an aerosol stripper from Wal mart(no pun intended) and krud kutterto get the bulk off of it. Once the finish is off, you will need to sweat the rest of the finish, grease and oil out of the wood using an iron and a wet rag

Here is a youtube series I used a s a guide line
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p21MKDi3r8o

Thanks for the link, Allen.

I viewed that video earlier, and it is very informative. I also watched this video: http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/downloads/video.asp?DVD-stock-refinishing-kit

It is very well done, and points out clearly the steps needed and materials used. However, it fails to tell me what to do with the checkered areas on the stock once the sanding is complete.
    I have emailed Battlefield for clarification on this.

Thanks, everyone for your replies. keep 'em coming!
  • ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    flydown wrote: »
    I have heard the same thing. Not concerned with resale on this particular gun. Hopefully it will be mine as long as I am alive.

I understand that. The only gun I've messed with the finish on was my turkey gun and I stripped it and painted it.
  • huntmstrhuntmstr Posts: 6,290 Admiral
    John, I have refinished several gun stocks, including a 700 for my BIL, and I always used a very soft brass or copper brush to clean off the checkered areas. It helps remove the stripped finish withouth damaging the checkering. I also used a water pick to blast out some of the more hard to reach areas once the stripping agent had done it's job.
    Bushnell, Primos and Final Approach Pro Staff. Proud member of the Fab Five, Big Leaugers and Bobble Head 4.

I had you pissed off at hello.
  • ShineShine Posts: 837 Officer
    I did my 1974 Marlin 336 recently. Done a few others in the past. I sanded off the old finish as I did not want solvents to carry any color into wood. Stained the walnut stocks with minwax mahogany red and sprayed a high quality lacquer top coat. Looks show room new and has performed well in the field. The old 336 finishes from years back, like the one I had, tend to turn “band-aid” pink.

As to the valuation, unless it’s in the historic class, I would not worry about it. Doing a good refinish or personalization job can give you a stronger connection to your hunting/shooting experience. In 50 years, would your son rather have your old rifle with a factory finish, or the one you personally restored?
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,442 Captain
    I think that mainly deals with possible antiques.
  • the u of mthe u of m Posts: 48 Deckhand
    john i would say pray about it! just f "in with you i use to do alot of refin on factory guns when i was on fire dept.in P.C. strip and refinish with true oil raise the grain with wet towel and heat do not forget to sand bettwen coats with puims stone