Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Lake Worth Question

I am heading from Atlanta for a couple of days in the Gulf Stream/Delray Beach area. I have been told Lake Worth may be my best shot at getting on some fish, specifically the Snook Islands area. Can anyone help me with some information on this area? The more I can learn before I get there the better my day will be. Thanks for any information you can provide.
I will be in a kayak, fly and spin fishing.
Keith

Replies

• GTSRGTSR Posts: 750 Officer
    Snook Islands are just north of the Lake Worth Bridge at the Intracoastal Waterway. There is a brand new dock and kayak launch on the north side of the bridge, or you can put in at the Bryant Park Ramo on the south side of the bridge. To access the north side launch, drive over the bridge, U turn, come back over the bridge and turn right into the launch road, you'll have to drop your kayak and go park a block away.

Here is a link to look at
    http://www.pbcgov.com/erm/lakes/estuarine/snook/

look at the PDFs on the bottom of the page. General consensus is that fishing between the rock piles and shore is pretty slow but outside the rock piles is better.
  • Keith BKeith B Posts: 133 Deckhand
    Thank you very much for that information. If it were you, where would you put in?
    Keith
    Its 50/50, the new launch is nice but you have to leave your gear,drive and park and walk back. Its right at the island so theres no extra paddling, thats the plus.

Bryant parking is closer but you just have to paddle under the bridge and around the new fishing pier. If I had someone with me, I'd use the Snook Islands launch, by myself, use Bryant Park.
    After I asked the question I thought about having to leave my gear and park, and then decided I would rather not do that. It does not look like that much further of a paddle.
    Thanks

In your opinion would I be better off driving to Lake Worth from Gulf Stream or fishing the ICW just south of Gulf Stream? I have no idea about any fishing in the area.
    Thanks
  • N2naclh20N2naclh20 Posts: 286 Deckhand
    I'd come up to LW and fish the islands, they've become very productive over the years and if you're out there during the work-week, you may have it all to yourself....post your report.
    There is no greater passion than that of a fisherman.
    Avatar photo: Grandparents and my Dad at Blowing Rocks, Jupiter 1923.
  • Toothy ThangToothy Thang Posts: 1,440 Officer
    N2naclh20 wrote: »
    I'd come up to LW and fish the islands, they've become very productive over the years and if you're out there during the work-week, you may have it all to yourself....post your report.

yep.
    I was thinking about Monday as my day to fish it for that reason. I have heard the snook are around. Hopefully I can mark one off my list this weekend.
    I will do my best to have a report worth posting.
    Thanks
    Keith
    I'll be looking for you on Monday, I work right across from the islands...