Home Sportsman's Kitchen

smoked meatloaf

rwfishrwfish Posts: 240 Officer
Just got back from a visit with Mom in Huntsville, AL. we saw smoked meatloaf on a menu at a barbecue place in Chatanooga, TN while out sight seeing and decided to try it when we got home. Used moms electric smoker with hickory at 200 for about 6 or 7 hours. just our standard family recipe meatlof, ground beef, diced onions and peppers, tomato juice, and oatmeal, and salt and pepper.

Turned out great! I am going to do one here this weekend if I have time. If you like meatloaf you should definatly try it.

Replies

• FlashFlash Posts: 11,211 AG
    Easy Meat Loaf Recipe
     2 lbs. ground beef
     1 small onion finely chopped
     1/2 green pepper finely chopped
     2 cloves garlic minced (optional)
     1 C. fresh bread crumbs or saltine cracker crumbs
     2 eggs lightly beaten
     3/4 C. ketchup
     1/4 C. milk
    Mix all ingredients in a bowl. blend the mixture about 4-5 minutes and then form onto a flat cookie sheet.
    You can finish the top with ketchup if you like about 30 minutes before the meatloaf is finished smoking.

Texas Hunter’s Cajun Meatloaf

Had to make a Cajun Meatloaf..

1 medium yellow onion -- chopped
    1 stalk celery -- chopped
    1/2 medium green bell pepper -- core, seed, chop
    2 green onions -- minced
    1 clove garlic -- minced
    2 bay leaves
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper -- freshly ground
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
    1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1/4 cup milk
    1/4 cup catsup
    1/2 - 3/4 cup bread crumbs -- fine, dry
    1 pound lean ground beef
    1/2 pound lean ground pork shoulder
    2 eggs -- slightly beaten

1. Mix the onion, celery, bell pepper, green onions, garlic, bay leaves, salt, cayenne pepper, black pepper, cumen, nutmeg, worcestershire sauce, & tabasco sauce in a medium sized bowl...
    2. Melt the butter in a heavy 10 inch skillet over moderate heat.. Add the vegetable/spice mixture, & cook, uncovered, for 6 minutes, stirring constantly, until the onions & peppers are soft.. Remove from the heat & let cool until warm to the touch.. Discard the bay leaves. Stir in the milk, catsup, & bread crumbs...
    3. In a large bowl, combine the beef, pork, eggs, & the bread crumb mixture.. Pack the meat mixture into a plastic wrap lined, 9″ x 5″ x 4″ loaf pan.. Set in frig overnight to hold its form..
    4. Next day remove from frig let set at room temp for a hour before cooking.. Preheat smoker to 275-300*. Flip loaf over on to a wire cooling rack.. Set in smoker, cook to a internal temp of 160-165*

A couple of recipes to try. I liked it also.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • rwfishrwfish Posts: 240 Officer
    That sounds great, I will try it. We made ours into about 1lb loaves .
  • AbelmanAbelman Posts: 1,853 Captain
    Smoked meatloaf is excellent! I love it as does my family.

I had a post awhile ago on doing it and some tricks on the smoking part.

I just searched for it and it seems to be gone.

If the archives come back, that will be a huge help to all of us.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan 1985
    Abelman wrote: »
    Smoked meatloaf is excellent! I love it as does my family.

I had a post awhile ago on doing it and some tricks on the smoking part.

I just searched for it and it seems to be gone.

If the archives come back, that will be a huge help to all of us.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?4749-Smoked-Meatloaf&highlight=Meatloaf

Maybe this one, oh lost one? :grin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    Cool, at least search works for someone....glad it came back from the crash today :thumbsup.

P.S. I just tried a new search by user name, mine and "meatloaf". This thread was the only hit after my post.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan 1985
    Cool, at least search works for someone....glad it came back from the crash today :thumbsup.

P.S. I just tried a new search by user name, mine and "meatloaf". This thread was the only hit after my post.

Yep only one with that parameter. I used just meatloaf and got quite a few posts. All types of stuff.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Flash wrote: »
    Yep only one with that parameter. I used just meatloaf and got quite a few posts. All types of stuff.

So, that's the way search is meant to work?

Impressive, maybe FS should hire at least 1 guy from Google who might not be happy.

Even you have to admit, that blows when 2 criteria lock it up.
    So, that's the way search is meant to work?

Impressive, maybe FS should hire at least 1 guy from Google who might not be happy.

Even you have to admit, that blows when 2 criteria lock it up.

Maybe, maybe not. Seems it did right using your screen name and meatloaf, UNLESS you have more than one post. But using just Meatloaf with no author, brought up many more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Flash wrote: »
    Maybe, maybe not. Seems it did right using your screen name and meatloaf, UNLESS you have more than one post. But using just Meatloaf with no author, brought up many more.

Gotcha, may or may not work but multiple posts make it more complicated. That's easy to solve.

P.S. Rwfish, I'm sorry I derailed your thread. I hope you do more smoked meatloaf and you enjoy the guys around here. Some good folks.