Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Need Help? Seatrout.

Hey guys I'm only 13 and i want to learn how to filet and cook my own fish. The best fish i have to filet is seatrout, Im wandering if someone can post a video on how to filet a trout, I have seen two method behind the gill then filet and remove bad stuff, or remove stomach then filet. Anyways I'm looking for a simple recipe. How would you make this fish just on a pan, NOT FRIED Haha:grin anyways if someone could help that would be great. Also if anyone knows a good sauce to make to top it that would be great, thanks everyone:hail
Sarasota,Fl 
Fishing, Photography, Life

Replies

• FlashFlash Posts: 11,230 AG

As to pan cooking them, might as well fry them. Try grilling them instead. Medium coals, add some lemon, lemon pepper and Old Bay to the fish. I would even add some Everglades Heat, but that's just me. Don't over cook it, when it flakes it's done.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • fishingkid315fishingkid315 Posts: 1,955 Captain
    Thanks Man! I Will Get my dad to help me with the grilling haha. Or i will just fry them up.
    Flash wrote: »

As to pan cooking them, might as well fry them. Try grilling them instead. Medium coals, add some lemon, lemon pepper and Old Bay to the fish. I would even add some Everglades Heat, but that's just me. Don't over cook it, when it flakes it's done.
    Sarasota,Fl 
    Two of my secrets. Use mayonnaise to coat the fish (I then cover them in Pankow Japanese Bread Crumbs) and fry them in Canola oil. Do NOT use Vegetable oil.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    Nice job Flash!
    Thanks Man I will deifnentley try this out!
    Flash wrote: »
    Two of my secrets. Use mayonnaise to coat the fish (I then cover them in Pankow Japanese Bread Crumbs) and fry them in Canola oil. Do NOT use Vegetable oil.
    Sarasota,Fl 
  • dbourbondbourbon Posts: 115 Deckhand
    One of the things I like to do is to put a 12" cast iron skillet in the oven at 500 degrees to heat it. I then take it out and put it on the stove top on a heated burner (med. high to high) and add a little butter. When melted I put the fish in. This is like lackening but you can control how well done you want the outsides. Blackening is usually pretty much the additional seasoning you use. You can also do this on a really hot grill. As Flash said, make sure you do not over cook it. His seasoning recommendations are an excellent choice as well.
  • FS DavidFS David Posts: 297 Deckhand
    Trout almondine!

Easy and a classic. You have to know it, might as well be now.

Find a recipe anywhere.
  • AbelmanAbelman Posts: 1,853 Captain
    FSDavid wrote: »
    Trout almondine!

Easy and a classic. You have to know it, might as well be now.

Find a recipe anywhere.

Really, why not help the guy out?

So, instead of helping out our members, you suggest a search somewhere else?

You're the managing editor of the Kitchen.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan 1985
    Haha yea thanks for the respect Abelman.
    Abelman wrote: »
    Really, why not help the guy out?

So, instead of helping out our members, you suggest a search somewhere else?

You're the managing editor of the Kitchen.
    Sarasota,Fl 
  • AbelmanAbelman Posts: 1,853 Captain
    If I had a recipe that I think I could help you out with, I would email/Pm to you.

I'm sorry I don't.

Good luck in any event and look forward to the results.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan 1985
    6 tablespoons flour
    4 trout fillets
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 tablespoon butter
    6 tablespoons sliced almonds
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Directions:

Sprinkle trout with salt and pepper.
    Dust the fish filets in the flour.
    Heat the olive oil and butter on medium high heat.
    Add fish filets and cook until light brown on both sides.
    Remove from pan and cover to keep warm.
    Return pan to heat and add 1 T butter.
    Add the almonds and saute, then add the fresh lemon juice.
    Heat it through, then spoon over the fish filets.
    Serve with additional lemon wedges.

Some reason, I do not like sliced almonds on anything I cook. :shrug
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,378 Moderator
    Trout can get kind of mushy, that being said, here' something that I like to do.

First make sure you pat them dry. Then lightly salt them. Then dredge in finely crushed saltine crackers. The salt and the flour from the crackers will draw some of that moisture from the flesh and firm it up som. ONce they are coated, put on a cookie sheet and pop them in a pre-heated 425 degree oven. Leave in there unitl they're cooked.... I don't know, 12 minutes maybe? Kind of depends on size. ONce cooked, put on the broiler and brown the tops.

Next I like to put a sauce on them... one that I like for this, and it's healthy and easy is...

olive oil
    minced garlic
    finely diced jalepeno

if you want to thicken it up just a little you can add a touch of greek yogurt. I typically leave that out, though.

Have fun with it!
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
    Trout can get kind of mushy, that being said, here' something that I like to do.

First make sure you pat them dry. Then lightly salt them. Then dredge in finely crushed saltine crackers. The salt and the flour from the crackers will draw some of that moisture from the flesh and firm it up som. ONce they are coated, put on a cookie sheet and pop them in a pre-heated 425 degree oven. Leave in there unitl they're cooked.... I don't know, 12 minutes maybe? Kind of depends on size. ONce cooked, put on the broiler and brown the tops.

Next I like to put a sauce on them... one that I like for this, and it's healthy and easy is...

olive oil
    minced garlic
    finely diced jalepeno

if you want to thicken it up just a little you can add a touch of greek yogurt. I typically leave that out, though.

Have fun with it!

Another thing that firms them ups is place a few fillets in a large bowl, add some sea salt (not a huge amount, couple sprinkles) then throw on 3 or 4 ice cubes, add more fillets, more salt more ice. Place this all in the fridge. As the ice melts, pour off some of the water and add some more cubes. I've kept trout like this for a few days actually. This firms the fillets up nicely.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• reelhookerreelhooker Posts: 644 Officer
    If you buy some Boursin cheese from publix or your local market you can bake the trout and top with the cheese. It is really good. I also like to make cheese grits out of the boursin.