Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Corned beef hash

Just finished my dinner of corned beef & cabbage and have quite a few left overs.
Does anyone have a good hash recipe? The ones I found all have "Cubed" corned beef. I can remember going to the diners (years gone by) and getting it with more like ground rather than cubed. I woul think cubed would be more like a stew. Any input?
Thanx
the Capt'n

P.S. If we can keep this on the front page for a while it may not get forwarded to the dead zone. TYVM
Specializing in poor life choices since 1954.

Replies

• FlashFlash Posts: 11,211 AG
    :shudder: Can't help you this time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • hooknlinehooknline Posts: 5,523 Admiral
    Turn it into a good rueben sandwich.
  • hatcityhatcity Stuart,FLPosts: 3,382 Captain
  • AbelmanAbelman Posts: 1,853 Captain
    That's kind of a tough one since it seems you don't want it cubed. You could always cube it very fine as it were.

All that said, here's where I would start:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/delegate.do?fnSearchString=corned+beef+hash&fnSearchType=site

Anyway, some stuff to look at and at least some reviews and feedback. I have to admit, with corned beef, I put it on the smoker and make pastrami so that's the best I can do.

All the kitchen places I hang out, they all cube it.

Good luck.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan 1985
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    Corned beef and cabbage?

What a strange thing to eat?
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • rrbgttrrbgtt Posts: 6,758 Admiral
    When Rhonda and I first got married, she asked me wanted for supper and I told her corned beef. I had never had corned beef hash. I guess because when I grew up with my two brothers there were seldom leftovers.

Her family loved corned beef hash.

When I got home from work, she told me to sit down at the table and put a big plate of corned beef hash in front of me and sat down looking at me waiting on my approval.
    I asked her what it was and she said, "It's corned beef." and for whatever stupid reason out of my mouth came, "It looks and smells like catfood."

She started crying and I tried to talk my way out of it and choked all of it down. She wasn't very happy with me for a few days, but I have never had to eat hash again.....
    From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned bobcat!
    rrbgtt wrote: »
    When Rhonda and I first got married, she asked me wanted for supper and I told her corned beef. I had never had corned beef hash. I guess because when I grew up with my two brothers there were seldom leftovers.

Her family loved corned beef hash.

When I got home from work, she told me to sit down at the table and put a big plate of corned beef hash in front of me and sat down looking at me waiting on my approval.
    I asked her what it was and she said, "It's corned beef." and for whatever stupid reason out of my mouth came, "It looks and smells like catfood."

She started crying and I tried to talk my way out of it and choked all of it down. She wasn't very happy with me for a few days, but I have never had to eat hash again.....

I don't even know why people spend good money on crap like corned beef? What a mess.
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 11,614 AG
    Please consult the appropriate sub forum:

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/forumdisplay.php?208-Recipes
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
    For anyone who does not know, it all starts with a brisket. If you cure a brisket, it becomes corned beef. If you then smoke it, it becomes pastrami.

It's all the same cut.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan 1985
    Abelman wrote: »
    For anyone who does not know, it all starts with a brisket. If you cure a brisket, it becomes corned beef. If you then smoke it, it becomes pastrami.

It's all the same cut.

Why don't you just eat the brisket - it has got to taste better.
    Menzies wrote: »

You should pay more attention.
  • spinfreakspinfreak Posts: 5,204 Admiral
    I love me some corned beef. I love corned beef hash. But I have never made homemade corned beef hash
    Exiled Dungeon Master of The Freakshow :cool:
    YOU NEED PROFESSIONAL HELP! Seriously. Do it for yourself and loved ones. You have issues
  • hooknlinehooknline Posts: 5,523 Admiral
    Corned beef is traditionally the brisket cured out. But tw term corned means " salt corns" or chunks of salt Asa means if preservation back in the day. Any cut could be made corned beef. ex is j just made some from a sirloin tip roast.
    I make it and eat it because I like the flavor. It's a nice change from regualr beef etc.
  • fishstickerfishsticker Posts: 500 Deckhand
    Thin sliced on an onion roll with some provolone cheese, mayo, spicy brown mustard, and Italian dressing. Served hot. Dang that made me hungry.
    "Those that give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither."
    Benjamin Franklin
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    how about thin sliced on rye bread with cole slaw and Russian dressing? Love me some corned beef but never end up with enough left over for hash.
  • Capt'n. ChumbucketCapt'n. Chumbucket Posts: 1,366 Officer
    Thanks for keeping this out of the "dead zone". I'll look at some of the links that were posted.
    Oh, and BTW Menzies, I can see by your signature of the day that may be father but it can't be your mother. The woman has teeth! And everyone knows Great Britians have terrible oral hygene
  • pupraiserpupraiser Posts: 10,261 AG
    My Grandma used to make hash by running the meat through an old meat grinder. I don't know what else she did though.
    Menzies wrote: »

That's what I do, to heck with the curing part.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,822 Admin
    It's pretty easy:

Cut the corned beef into 1/2" cubes
    Dice some onions
    Peel and boil a potato, then cut into 1/2" cubes
    Heat oil in skillet and brown potatoes, onions and corned beef, pressing down and stirring with spatula as you do
    Some folks add a little ketchup and/or worcestershire while stirring
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
    Thanks for keeping this out of the "dead zone".

And an FYI, the "dead zone'' was the first section to consolidate the sub forums. Only two there now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Capt'n. ChumbucketCapt'n. Chumbucket Posts: 1,366 Officer
    Flash wrote: »
    And an FYI, the "dead zone'' was the first section to consolidate the sub forums. Only two there now.
    Well, I guess I just don't go back there much anymore. Culture shock. You know.