Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Corned beef

001001 Posts: 4,292 Captain
Got some in the pot now. How do y'all don it? I've got one boiling now. 3.86 pounds. Started boiling fat down and flipped @ 45 minutes, boiled for another 45 and now I am boiling it far down.

My fat down theory:
Flip just to get the flavored stirred up. I then boil it fat side down. I do that because fat floats, so far side down and the fat the melts during the boil wants to float up through the meat making it more flavorful. Do any of y'all pay attention to the fat?

Replies

• fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,387 Officer
    No. We just quarter a cabbage, along with a couple sliced carrots and a quartered onion. Put all the veggies in the crockpot. Lay the corned beef on top and pour in a bottle (or two) of dark ale or beer and enough water to cover the meat. Salt and pepper to taste; I like lots of fresh ground pepper. Add a little allspice if you want. Cook 6-8 hours in the crock pot and just before it's done halve some red potatoes and boil them for about 15 minutes then throw them in the crockpot and let everything cook another 15-20 minutes. Slice the corned beef across the grain and serve with spicy mustard on the side. My grandmother and my mother were German immigrants and they cooked venison roast the same way after brining it overnight in the fridge. Now I'm getting hungry......again! Pumpernickel bread and butter go REAL well with this! :grin:grin:grin