Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Pulled pork 1st attempt massive fail. . . .

IS IT SLOTIS IT SLOT Posts: 204 Deckhand
. . ..ok I'm not Cuban so that's already strike one . . ..after visiting Cuba, I got it bad for some pulled pork. Strike two internet guidelines on how to......Strike three me.

I have a charcoal smoker what do I do? so far I bought the pork neck and charcoal.
please help I'm practicing this pulled pork for my 40th Bday

thanks all <><

Replies

• FlashFlash Posts: 11,215 AG
    Best to buy is the bone in Pork Butt. Around $1.49 a lb. A Pork Roast is leaner, but will still pull. You need FAT content. Something like a Pork Loin will not pull. Butt take time, so plan on starting early and you'll have a good chance of finishing late. What type of smoker info would help.

Coat with yellow mustard. Then apply your rub. I put it in a large freezer bag for the night in the fridge. Get the smoker going and try to maintain around 250º. Hickory, cherry, oak, pecan all work for your wood smoke. I spritz on occasion using a 50/50 mixture of Apple Cider Vinegar/Makers Mark or Wisers Deluxe. Take the butt to atleast 160º internal, then spritz really good and wrap in two layers of foil. Here is where things can change. I like to crank my temps up to 300º then, but can your smoker do that? If not, maintain your temps and take the pork to 200 to 205º for pulled, around 180º for sliced. Remove from smoker and wrap "foil and all" in a heavy towel and place in small cooler for ateast an hour. Some go even longer. When you open the foil, it will be steaming, so be careful.

Butt_Bark0007.jpg

Butt_9452.jpg

Pulled0023.jpg

Cuban pork is probably marinaded in Mojo Crillio (Badia Brand is great) and injected with Sour Orange
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • JeepDiverJeepDiver Posts: 704 Officer
    Flash wrote: »
    Cuban pork is probably marinaded in Mojo Crillio (Badia Brand is great) and injected with Sour Orange

When I think of cuban pork I don't think of smoked. I would agree with the marinaded, with extra garlic, then throw it in an oven at 225 for 5-6 hours. I'm sure it would be good on the smoker, but just doesn't really strike me as being authentic with the addition of smoke.
    JeepDiver wrote: »
    When I think of cuban pork I don't think of smoked. I would agree with the marinaded, with extra garlic, then throw it in an oven at 225 for 5-6 hours. I'm sure it would be good on the smoker, but just doesn't really strike me as being authentic with the addition of smoke.

The only one I ever had and it was done by a cuban, but not necessarily done with a cuban air, was off a gas grill.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • JeepDiverJeepDiver Posts: 704 Officer
    The only one I ever had and it was done by a cuban, but not necessarily done with a cuban air, was off a gas grill.

Was there any wood added for smoke? Guess the cooking method doesn't matter too much, though I find that the oven holds mositure better than my gas grill. I will take a plate of the pork and a couple of sausages though. Man that is a good looking grill full of food
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    Wow Grand Master Flash on the bone!!
  • wizfisherwizfisher Posts: 2,387 Officer
    Flash, is that OviV? I think so, but know it is someone from the South section as I probably met him at a SAIL club meeting a while back (like 8-9 years ago).

Either way, the pork you posted and the one on the gas grill both look awesome. :obscene
  • T TopT Top Posts: 3,706 Captain
    Just like Flassh said is how I do it with a few minor differences, probably only because of the way I taught myself....

I don't use mustard because I am very picky about what I will eat mustard on, although I have heard very good things about coating with it for a smoke.

I wrap tightly in saran wrap and leave in fridge overnight.

I like to use Apple wood for all things pork.

I don't spritz.

My smoker (charcoal) can be a PITA to try and steady above 275 or so, so I maintain 235-240.

INHJHO the best and easiest cut of pork to learn on is a Boston Butt.

Other than that I do it just like Flash.:)

A site that I learned alot from:[URL=" http://www.amazingribs.com/"] http://www.amazingribs.com/[/URL]
  • charlie tunacharlie tuna Posts: 730 Officer
    T Top wrote: »
    Just like Flassh said is how I do it with a few minor differences, probably only because of the way I taught myself....

I don't use mustard because I am very picky about what I will eat mustard on, although I have heard very good things about coating with it for a smoke.

I wrap tightly in saran wrap and leave in fridge overnight.

I like to use Apple wood for all things pork.

I don't spritz.

My smoker (charcoal) can be a PITA to try and steady above 275 or so, so I maintain 235-240.

INHJHO the best and easiest cut of pork to learn on is a Boston Butt.

Other than that I do it just like Flash.:)

A site that I learned alot from:[URL=" http://www.amazingribs.com/"] http://www.amazingribs.com/[/URL]

When you marinate or coat something like "mustard" doesn't mean it will end up with ANY mustard taste !! Mustard is basically made from vinagar -- and many people spritz or baste their pork with some type of vinagar mixture. For some reason, vinagar goes "good" with pork. Like i inject my chicken with "bitter orange" but there is no taste of orange in the finished chicken. Flash's method is proven, i have ventured away from it here and there -- and paid the price :shrug -- like when i used too low of a cooking temperature and didn't reach that 160 degree threashhold that he mentions -- it's important !!
    wizfisher wrote: »
    Flash, is that OviV? I think so, but know it is someone from the South section as I probably met him at a SAIL club meeting a while back (like 8-9 years ago).

Either way, the pork you posted and the one on the gas grill both look awesome. :obscene

If it is for sure the same person it is Julio Sanchez. It was at his house.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• wizfisherwizfisher Posts: 2,387 Officer
    That's it, Julio.
  • T TopT Top Posts: 3,706 Captain
    When you marinate or coat something like "mustard" doesn't mean it will end up with ANY mustard taste !! Mustard is basically made from vinagar -- and many people spritz or baste their pork with some type of vinagar mixture. For some reason, vinagar goes "good" with pork. Like i inject my chicken with "bitter orange" but there is no taste of orange in the finished chicken. Flash's method is proven, i have ventured away from it here and there -- and paid the price :shrug -- like when i used too low of a cooking temperature and didn't reach that 160 degree threashhold that he mentions -- it's important !!
    I didn't mean to insinuate that it will come out tasting like mustard.

I posted the differences in how I do it more to show that there are many different methods to accomplishing what he is trying to do and that you can try different things and and come up with your own way.

Flashs way is definetly a tried and true method, no doubt.
  • IS IT SLOTIS IT SLOT Posts: 204 Deckhand
    wow nice to get loads of info. . .
    and easy thanks.
    in Cuba PP wasn't smoked.
    it's a Weber looks like a big black dinosaur egg, it just cranks 225 it's loaded with holes and is very old.
    I really need a new grill/smoker
    thanks all . . .now I'll just hop over to get a rub recipe. . .any a must do?
    IS IT SLOT wrote: »
    wow nice to get loads of info. . .
    and easy thanks.
    in Cuba PP wasn't smoked.
    it's a Weber looks like a big black dinosaur egg, it just cranks 225 it's loaded with holes and is very old.
    I really need a new grill/smoker
    thanks all . . .now I'll just hop over to get a rub recipe. . .any a must do?

Rub is subjective, but you seem to get better bark when brown sugar is present. Bad Byrons is a good commercial one, also Durkees Chicken and Rib Rub. I have two or three that I make myself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• RexLanRexLan Posts: 868 Officer

**** that looks just SUPER FINE!
    Port Charlotte, Florida