Home General Freshwater Fishing

CARP

hello everyone,
i have a friend who lives on a lake in the pines area. He asked me if i knew how to catch the carp that swims around in the lake. i said dough/bread balls but this is not working for him. did i give him bad infomation?

Replies

• flhookerflhooker Posts: 300 Officer
    Try canned corn kernalls... Long shank hook.
  • Luftwaffe1989Luftwaffe1989 Posts: 170 Officer
    001 wrote: »
    Bow and arrow
    You crazy, not in Pembroke Pines. Lol
    If you toss pices of bread and let them float on the water, you would catch a ton of Carp.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] My second (wife):grin... My 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle 454 SS (LS6).
  • RemoteRedsTroutRemoteRedsTrout Posts: 408 Deckhand
    Ive had the most luck using either french bread or puerto rican bread from wal mart or publix, they come in long white paper bags. Seems to float and stay on the hook better than standard bread.

However, most of the carp I have come across, especially in bigger ponds, will not eat the bread i throw out. I think this is because they aren't used to eating bread and havent regularly been fed bread by people. But I'd try throwing out 5-6 large chunks in the area you've seen it before and wait 15 min or so looking for big wakes. Be careful not to get too close to them though, they are extremely spooky

But other baits are definitely worth a try, but if he lives near the pond I'd especially try feeding them expired bread or corn etc. They seem to prefer to take bread that is floating but I have had a couple take it off the bottom
    bill-dance-motor-o.gif1314011917_bill_dance_fishing_blooper.gifsMozlUn.gif
  • K seasK seas Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    thanks for the info i will pass it along. one of the problems with bread is the ducks. they are all over the place as soon as they see you out there. maybe i will have to take my paintball gun with me next time :machinegun

JK lol
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,175 AG
    But other baits are definitely worth a try, but if he lives near the pond I'd especially try feeding them expired bread or corn etc. They seem to prefer to take bread that is floating but I have had a couple take it off the bottom

It's all in the presentation of the bread. I like to use a breadstick and walk the dog in little spurts. I prefer 2-day old Little Caesar's because it seems to have some sort of preservative that keeps it afloat longer. On calm days, a suspending twitch-and-sink approach in the deeper waters off the bank seems to work. To get to neutral bouyancy, you may have to stick a few lead pellets in the breadstick. Just kind of play around with it to see what works.

A crouton under a popping cork can work well, too, under the right conditions.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • CodySCodyS Posts: 243 Officer
    Are these common carp or grass carp? When I visit family in New York I fish this dam that is filled with big common carp and koi.... they slam pieces pf bread freelined down stream. I have tried for grass carp here in Florida and never caught one, I guess they eat grass lol
  • FreeFlyFreeFreeFlyFree Posts: 121 Deckhand
    Hi, check out this thread on the fly fishing forums, there are some nice griffing canal carp at the end:

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?31288-Catching-Florida-Carp
    I've seen the grass carp eating berries or fruits that fall of some type of common tree here (not sure of the type). I've also seen them eating the grass clippings at the golf course. When the mower goes by, some fo the clippings land on the edge of the pond and up they come...
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    It's all in the presentation of the bread. I like to use a breadstick and walk the dog in little spurts. I prefer 2-day old Little Caesar's because it seems to have some sort of preservative that keeps it afloat longer. On calm days, a suspending twitch-and-sink approach in the deeper waters off the bank seems to work. To get to neutral bouyancy, you may have to stick a few lead pellets in the breadstick. Just kind of play around with it to see what works.

A crouton under a popping cork can work well, too, under the right conditions.

Yes [email protected]*$, I have had carp not take bread unless it was floating. I don't know why, just an observation. I rarely target Carp though unless I happen to have some expired bread or corn
  • Bass2bucksBass2bucks Posts: 654 Officer
    Gotta admit that was pretty funny though
    Hahahahahhaaha yea i was asking for it........bread presentation
  • Egreen cobraEgreen cobra Posts: 230 Deckhand
    For grass carp. Use crisp X cereal, you want a very small light wire hook, so the cereal will float, and you'll need a bobber for casting weight. When you see one cruising toss it in his path, far enough ahead that it won't spook him. Should rise to take it...
    Speaking of bread, one time while taking a break from redfishing, I shared part of my turkey sandwich with a puffer fish back in Eddy Creek. He also seemed to prefer it floating, and would tend to ignore the pieces that sunk more than an inch below the surface.
    Speaking of bread, one time while taking a break from redfishing, I shared part of my turkey sandwich with a puffer fish back in Eddy Creek. He also seemed to prefer it floating, and would tend to ignore the pieces that sunk more than an inch below the surface.

**** look what happens when I try to be friendly and offer advice to someone based on observations and past experiences. You're a class act Captain Sulu

But really, there were a few carp in particular that I would occasionally see when fishing from bass from a dock. Usually when they'd come by thered be some bread out as I was trying to get shiners and get the baitfish gathered around because this would attract the bass. The carp were always far out and I'd throw bread balls at them but they never seemed to be interested.
    Was fishing there one day and a guy comes up and starts talking fishing. He had a stale loaf of puerto rican bread and started throwing chunks out. About ten minutes later we see the carp, and for the first time they actually stick around and start eating the bread. He handed me a floating chunk and got bit immediately, 12lber. When fighting it in I saw another bigger carp shadowing it. I handed him the rod and ran to my car to get another. He handed me another floating chunk, and a few minutes later got the bigger one 14lbs. All the other carp I had caught before this were on bread balls on the bottom, but I prefer to chum with floating bread because you can see the carp take it without being in eyesight of them and I seem to have more luck for whatever reason when it is floating

I'm not pro carp fisherman like Captain Sulu but I've got a couple, my personal best 25lb 40in
    attachment.php?attachmentid=22677&d=1330620448
    Go catch some catfish on topwater @$%hat
    I'm not making fun of you. Lighten up for Gods sake.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    I'm not making fun of you. Lighten up for Gods sake.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Sure seemed like you were trying to be a [email protected]%$...
    If you're being sincere then I apologize, it wouldnt be the first time i've misinterpreted something someone said online