Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Ghost Kitchen

2»

Replies

• bullgatorbullgator Posts: 1,940 Officer
    Abelman wrote: »
    Let me ask this.

Do you think the Kitchen is the same, worse, or better regardless of the clicks?

It's much worse because instead of talking food, the main conversation is complaints about the forum itself.
  • Lunch Money SurfLunch Money Surf Posts: 1,033 Officer
    Flash wrote: »
    That seems to be a lot of members opinions.

That was my point; it seems like activity in here absolutely plummeted when that change happened. But who knows it happened so shortly after the 'sub forum explosion' that it could be the same thing.

My point being, I'm not making a statement about functionality. I'm saying that it is very clear that the changes resulted in significantly decreased traffic.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,212 AG
    bullgator wrote: »
    It's much worse because instead of talking food, the main conversation is complaints about the forum itself.

True. I have tried to work with in the boundaries of what we have been given. I am sure post are down on this forum in general, not just this section (76 new threads started in the Kitchen since the New Home Pages were installed, not sure how many post). We have several members on this forum that are also on Smokingmeatforums, but they have not been posting much, if at all on that site either. Is there something wrong with that forum also? It is the natural ebb and flow of these online forums. Sometimes I get on and post a bunch, then disappear for a couple of weeks. Other members do this also.
    This forum I have more of a commitment too and it is for Floridians. Mods have voiced their complaints and suggestions to Blair about what members say and want. Right now they are concentrating on this Migration which takes place Saturday night. Hopefully after that goes thru, we can then work on leaning down these sub forums that many of you hate.

Not trying to ditch the Home page Pete, just trying to show you don't HAVE to go thru it to read any this forum.

OK, what would I do in the Kitchen? Well when you were a mod, we both made suggestions to admin on what we wanted the sub forums to be. Some suggestions they took some they didn't. Over all I thought it was a good idea. But it seems some did not like the navigation. We had some members that could get to the home page, but had no idea how to even access the Sub-forums. Didn't even realize there were Hotlinks :shrug
    Then you have some like Bullgator who said "it was a pain to navigate, but a couple of clicks and your in." As with any new software it takes a bit a time to learn. Kinda like searching for something in a book. Sometimes you have to look at the index to get where you want to go.

OK, what would I like to see changed? For one, if all or any of these sub-forums are to remain, we need to be able to see when new post are made on the Forum List Home Page. Right now none of the Sections with Sub-Forums show that. And that keeps some members from wanting to navigate. Now there is the NEW POST button, which I use alot now to see what is going on all over the forum. Some of you have no concerns about other sections though, only hitting two or three of them. The Quick Navigation tool is another one that helps you by pass the Section Home pages totally, if they do not interest you, but as some have said the list is too long. Too me it takes 5 seconds to scroll and locate where I want to go next. For some of you it sounds like it takes an eternity.
    Since many members think there are too many sub forums, then obviously we need to pair them down and cull out some of them. We could easily just make it all one section, but to be sure some members would complain that it takes to long to find stuff. If our search engine was decent, it would make things alot easier to. If Admin is set on keeping the home pages, then really the only thing that can change will be the removal of some of the sub-fourms and I would agree that the Main Kitchen section, plus Recipes would be the best course. Hopefully then they can also get the search function back up to wear it will be easier to locate a certain meal, instead of scrolling thru pages of recipes.
    The main point is that no forum is perfect. What some of you want, others will not. I have been a member on here for 10 years now. Will we ever see it like it was in its Grand old days? No, I doubt it. Too much competition out there now, too many other forums and as with anything New, it eventually gets old.
    The life blood of any Forum, is bringing in New Members. We still seem to be doing that, but we lose some of the old ones in turn, who did not like the change. Some left and then came back. Hopefully management will tackle these issues that some of you have after the Migration is done successfully. As one of the Mods, I will continues to voice your concerns to Blair and Griz to pass onto the higher ups. It is all, we as Mods, can do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • AbelmanAbelman Posts: 1,853 Captain
    Thanks, we'll see how things go and look forward to getting things back on the rails if at all possible.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan 1985