Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Turkey Competition

I haven't been on in a while... But was wondering if yall planned to do the turkey competition this year?

Replies

• ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    I'm in if there is enough interest
  • beer thirtybeer thirty Posts: 131 Deckhand
    Me verses turkeys. They won the last two years.
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,127 Captain
    I'm in but with me starting a new job this coming Monday, I don't have time to keep up with everything. If someone wants to keep up with the score and updating everything, I'll run the names through the PC to pair up...or just do it individually. I don't care either way.

If I run it through the PC, I'll be sure the dnf and tapate are "randomly" teamed up again :wink (j/k - I litterally hit "enter" and it pops out everything for me)
  • BodineBodine Posts: 3,020 Captain
    I will get in, but I will probably do what I have been doing for several years.
    Kill one bird, and just enjoy messing with them the rest of the season.
    F the feds
    omegafoo wrote: »
    I'm in but with me starting a new job this coming Monday, I don't have time to keep up with everything. If someone wants to keep up with the score and updating everything, I'll run the names through the PC to pair up...or just do it individually. I don't care either way.

If I run it through the PC, I'll be sure the dnf and tapate are "randomly" teamed up again :wink (j/k - I litterally hit "enter" and it pops out everything for me)
    If you can run the program, I can keep up with teams and scores etc....
    And I'd be happy to be paired with Mr. Pate again, I simply pointed out that it had happened repeatedly.
  • tapatetapate Posts: 5,263 Admiral
    I could do WAY worse than team up with DNF again. Ill be trying to skewer one this year, AGAIN
    tapate wrote: »
    I could do WAY worse than team up with DNF again. Ill be trying to skewer one this year, AGAIN
    I keep wanting to try but all I do is run and gun in the woods. I can't come up with a scenario where I can make archery work for my type of hunting.
  • reel_buzzreel_buzz Posts: 81 Deckhand
    I'm in as well. Hoping to redeem myself this year. They say you have to be smarter than what you're working with... and I'm starting to wonder the IQ of them ol' toms!
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,127 Captain
    start a list of who's in on this thing. I'd assume Micci, TO, and hooknreds would be in as well
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,472 AG
    Yeah I'm in
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    So far we have:
    Reel_buzz
    ducknfish
    omegafoo
    bodine
    tapate
    micci_man
    cracker4112
    line dancer
    Team Outlaw
    Hooknreds
  • cracker4112cracker4112 Posts: 827 Officer
    Can I play again this year? Hopefully I'll get off to a better start...
    Can I play again this year? Hopefully I'll get off to a better start...

NO! :grin
  • line dancerline dancer Posts: 233 Deckhand
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,472 AG
    If it gets to where there is an odd number of entries I'll drop out.

Not sure how my season is going to be this yr. The property owners son (and his buddies) is giving it a go this yr. I'm going to at least offer to take him and try to teach him what little I know about it so he doesn't educate every bird on the property. Last time I talked to him (2 weeks ago) he told me about how he had been walking around calling alot and bumping into turkeys and he thought that was a good thing.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    micci_man wrote: »
    If it gets to where there is an odd number of entries I'll drop out.

Not sure how my season is going to be this yr. The property owners son (and his buddies) is giving it a go this yr. I'm going to at least offer to take him and try to teach him what little I know about it so he doesn't educate every bird on the property. Last time I talked to him (2 weeks ago) he told me about how he had been walking around calling alot and bumping into turkeys and he thought that was a good thing.

Take your girls out there next weekend for the youth hunt and let them both kill one before he gets started. :smoking
    Have you done any scouting where we talked about?

Line dancer, I guess we have no standards since we are letting cracker4112 in you can too.
  • tapatetapate Posts: 5,263 Admiral
    I got drawn for the quota hunt here in town. Should be a week of innocent birdies to mess with.
  • Team OutlawTeam Outlaw Posts: 253 Officer
    I am in . When is the start date and how many birds can we enter ? A few of us get stratred earlier than others .
    I am in . When is the start date and how many birds can we enter ? A few of us get stratred earlier than others .

I'd like feedback from all involved on how you want to run this. Here are my thoughts:
    1) I'd propose we start whenever season starts where you are hunting with a 2 bird limit. Those of us who only hunt FL are limited to 2 birds.
    2) Pics of bird showing beard and a second pic of spurs. (IMO it's for fun and there is no need to have yourself in the pic incase you hunt alone, and there is no need for a tape measure pic. If you lie about a turkey for the sake of a competition like this you have issues we are not equipped to address here)
    3) Self guided birds only (don't care if you pay to hunt somewhere if it's a lease or out of state pay hunt but if you pay someone to show you around and call for you the bird is disqualified)
    4) Use same beard and spur calculations that we used last year to determine score.

What do yall think?
  • reel_buzzreel_buzz Posts: 81 Deckhand
    ducknfish wrote: »
    I'd like feedback from all involved on how you want to run this. Here are my thoughts:
    1) I'd propose we start whenever season starts where you are hunting with a 2 bird limit. Those of us who only hunt FL are limited to 2 birds.
    2) Pics of bird showing beard and a second pic of spurs. (IMO it's for fun and there is no need to have yourself in the pic incase you hunt alone, and there is no need for a tape measure pic. If you lie about a turkey for the sake of a competition like this you have issues we are not equipped to address here)
    3) Self guided birds only (don't care if you pay to hunt somewhere if it's a lease or out of state pay hunt but if you pay someone to show you around and call for you the bird is disqualified)
    4) Use same beard and spur calculations that we used last year to determine score.

What do yall think?

Sounds good to me. You'll have to refreshen me on the beard and spur calculations though.

And when is the cut off date for people to enter? I'm going down south next weekend to hunt in Zone A so maybe we can have it all organized and the teams figured out by then...
    reel_buzz wrote: »
    Sounds good to me. You'll have to refreshen me on the beard and spur calculations though.

And when is the cut off date for people to enter? I'm going down south next weekend to hunt in Zone A so maybe we can have it all organized and the teams figured out by then...

In that case I think we should meke the cutoff next Wednesday or Thursday and let omegafoo have his program pick the teams before next weekend.
  • Team OutlawTeam Outlaw Posts: 253 Officer
    I very well could have one dead by next Wed.
  • hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain
    I'm your huckleberry. Of course I hope I get the chance to hunt....count me in.
  • JTRJTR Posts: 1,181 Officer
    Reading this thread as three turkeys feed in my front yard. :thumbsup
    ducknfish wrote: »
    So far we have:
    Reel_buzz
    ducknfish
    omegafoo
    bodine
    tapate
    micci_man
    cracker4112
    line dancer
    Team Outlaw
    Hooknreds

Anybody else want to participate?

If not I'll have Omegafoo run his team picking program.
  • hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain
    Seen 2 strutting gobblers and 6-8 hens on the side of the road today...fired me up!!!