Home General Paddle Craft

Gulf Stream/Del Ray Beach area

Hey Guys,
I am looking for some advice on the Gulf Stream/Del Ray Beach area for the first week in April. I will have my kayak with me, but have no clue about where to launch or to fish. I will be staying right on the ICW in Gulf Stream. I called the local tackle shop in GS and they led me to believe I would not have much luck. Any ideas on species or tactics? Really love fly fishing and will have the spinning gear too.
Thanks guys!!
Keith

Replies

• yakhunteryakhunter Posts: 138 Deckhand
    Delray is not the best part of the ICW to fish. It is narrow and the power boat traffic, especially on weekends, can make things difficult for kayakers. The Bush bridge can be productive, but I would recommend heading north toward the Lake Worth lagoon. Try the Boynton spillway on the west side of the ICW if there has been a recent rain. A few miles farther north are the Snook Islands Natural Area, a group of man-made islands that can hold jacks, snook and snapper. If you don't want to do the long paddle from Gulfstream, you can launch from right next to the Lake Worth bridge, where there is a new fishing pier and kayak launching area.
  • Keith BKeith B Posts: 128 Officer
    That is great information. Thanks!!
    Can I fly fish and spin fish the snook Islands, or should I think about live bait?
    Keith
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Fly and spin will both work great at Snook Island as well as live bait. I have done well with spin there.
  • Keith BKeith B Posts: 128 Officer
    Thanks Guys!!
    It sounds like my plan for the day will be the Snook Islands, with a variety of baits and tactics.
    Looking forward to a nice day of fishing in your area.
    Keith