Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Steinhatchee 2/29 Foggarific Trout

Started out the day around 11am or so, headed for Steinhatchee reef- which turned out to be one heck of a ride in a bay boat in a bit of a chop. Tried for sheepshead all over the reef, after hearing word of success the day before by others- I had high hopes for sheepshead- myself and the 4-5 boats around me were all striking out; until about 1pm or so I started getting bites and seeing them on the fish-finder, 2 came off right at the boat trying to net my own fish - but ended up landing NONE. :( They were there; but being it was nearing 1pm and the fog still hadn't left, I decided to head in for trout as the waves started to pick up. Apparently, when they said fog advisory until 1pm, they meant tomorrow at 1pm... :(

It was a hairy ride in, I ended up feeling more like i was wake-boarding rather than driving a boat.

I hit up the north side of the channel and drifted all the way to Piney Point throwing a variance of lures. I had a few rods rigged up, gulp/CT combo, mirrodines, slashbaits, live shrimp, they hit it all--- I had the most success on the Mirrodines and the Gulp/CT combo, I was using the pearl shad rather than shrimp to change things up, they seemed to really like that the most... They really didn't go for the slashbaits--- most success was working a slow retrieve.

I didn't really have much downtime on my drift, caught fish the whole drift; I probably could have left there with a limit but kept throwing back the 15-16" trout. Lots of those were hitting... Had a HUGE trout come off at the boat, as well as a decent red--- I really need to work on netting my own fish when out solo. :(

Kept two fish as it got closer to 5pm... a 19" and 21" for dinner. Ended up with a great peaceful day on the water, and my first 'solo' trip.

Water temps were 62-65 deg.

IMAG0523.jpg
IMAG0522.jpg
IMAG0521.jpg
IMAG0520.jpg
IMAG0519.jpg
IMAG0518.jpg
IMAG0517.jpg
sigsmallx.jpg
Q: How much fishing equipment can a man have before his wife throws him out?
A: I do not know for sure; however, I believe that the experiment is almost complete!

Replies

• snake birdsnake bird Posts: 1,023 Officer
    glad to hear the trout are out on the flats:Rockon and that's nice bayboat weather! no white caps!:Sinking
  • keypondkeypond Posts: 2,017 Captain
    Nicely done Chip. Sorry to hear about the net skills. Check with Flash. He's rather good at it. Could give you some tips. Water doesn't look too rough, but it never comes across in pictures.
    Chris

Reel Time w/Florida Sportsman Guest Host
    Sight Fishing AJ's, Say What
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCSPHOHuw-M&list=UU7OK0PWEO7jknYHsykHcjaA&index=1&feature=plcp
  • tekmunkitekmunki Posts: 668 Officer
    keypond wrote: »
    Nicely done Chip. Sorry to hear about the net skills. Check with Flash. He's rather good at it. Could give you some tips. Water doesn't look too rough, but it never comes across in pictures.

It really wasn't that rough when I took the pics- just wanted shots of the fog rolling. :)
    sigsmallx.jpg
    A: I do not know for sure; however, I believe that the experiment is almost complete!
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,946 Admiral
    Man I hear ya, I left for work today and the fog was thick as pea soup, can only imagine what it was like on the water jumping0006.gif Way to make it work cool0037.gif
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Great to hear the Trout are waking up that way....Them foggy day can be a challenge....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Captain
    Way to go Chip! Glad to see you back on the water. That fog never made it down here?
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • gitthenetgitthenet Posts: 256 Deckhand
    Great report and glad they are on the flats like that. I remember being in fog just north of the markers one October. It's spooky to hear other motors but can't see them!
  • tekmunkitekmunki Posts: 668 Officer
    gitthenet wrote: »
    Great report and glad they are on the flats like that. I remember being in fog just north of the markers one October. It's spooky to hear other motors but can't see them!

On the way in there was a boat idling that looked lost at #3; they looked real worried. I went ahead of them slowly- I'm certain they just followed me to the next markers as they picked up speed a bit to pursue. I'd have been in some real trouble myself without my GPS. Then again, I did have my phone on me as a backup (Navionics).
    sigsmallx.jpg
  • HoltHolt Posts: 972 Officer
    Good day! Those sheepies can be hit or miss. They will be down there milling around not biting then all of a sudden they hear the dinner bell. Current, moon I dunno but you have to be patient.
    FOG! I finally had to go buy my first GPS 12 years ago when I got caught over near North Key(Cedar Keys) one evening as the sun went down and the fog came in. The redfish would not let me leave and I regretted it. Scared to death to run the markers because I just knew I would hit one or a rock. I had to off-plane it watching my sounder for an hour before I finally saw the lights of the Cedar key marina/market. I had a GPS the next week and I always leave a crumbtrail when in the channels.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,536 Captain
    Great report.

Gotta have a good GPS or chart plotter on board.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    :thumbsup:thumbsup
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • gitthenetgitthenet Posts: 256 Deckhand
    My GPS is a lifesaver in Steinhatchee. That and clear water so I can see not to get too shallow while running. I am amazed when I watch boats running fast way up by the grass edges. There must be a channel of some kind that the locals know of. I'll go slow up to the grass sometimes and it gets really shallow and I can't even get back up on plane without bumping the lower unit till I'm out a good way. It sure is different from here in Jacksonville but I really like those great grass flats.

That same October I remember zig-zagging from marker to marker on the way out the fog was so thick!
  • angler18angler18 Posts: 2,037 Captain
    running in fog is never fun, but looks like you found some fit in it.