Yeti tie down options ???

heavychevy15heavychevy15 Posts: 838 Officer
I've been looking around at different options of people holding down coolers on boats. I want to go with the Kennedy tie downs but how are you actually going about holding the cooler down?

I don't really want to drill into the side of the cooler. I guess if I don't drill all the way thru it won't cause any problems. But I did see these from yeti for the locking system. Think it might work? What have you guys done to secure the turn buckle to your cooler?

Do u think this would work or there would be to much play?
b53a4a8a.jpg

Replies

• TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,861 Captain
    I've been looking around at different options of people holding down coolers on boats. I want to go with the Kennedy tie downs but how are you actually going about holding the cooler down?

I don't really want to drill into the side of the cooler. I guess if I don't drill all the way thru it won't cause any problems. But I did see these from yeti for the locking system. Think it might work? What have you guys done to secure the turn buckle to your cooler?

Do u think this would work or there would be to much play?

First of all, that locking mechanism is ridiculous. Buy a long-shackled padlock and one of the vinyl-coated cables with looped ends to secure it. I secure it overnight in my truck bed by looping the cable through the rail on my truck box, or on my boat by running the cable through a cleat or grab rail.

I realize that isn't your main question. I too needed a way to secure my cooler with turnbuckles; I didn't like the strap setup from Yeti. I have the original Kennedy tiedown plates with the screw-in eye bolt and the Kennedy turnbuckles. To mount the turnbuckles to the cooler, I went to the hardware section of West Marine and purchased this setup. I don't know what it's specifically called but it was near the sailboat hardware. It's a small 316 stainless plate with a eye on it, with two holes drilled through the plate. It's tough to see from the photo but I drilled through the cooler to secure the plate, but if you look closely, I only drilled through the pportion where the Yeti straps come through the side of the cooler---so the hole is only through the molded plastic (and it's fairly thick), not through any insulation. I have lock nuts on the other side of the bolts. It's tight but you can snug it up enough with a ratchet on the outside and a set of pliers on the inside of the strap mount. To clarify, the bolts don't go through the nsulated side of the cooler or into the inside of the cooler. (Cell phone picture isnt' the best quality)

7e57fe54.jpg

Caveat: Depending on the height of your cooler, you may have to get longer turnbuckle bodies than the ones supplied by Kennedy. The Kennedy turnbuckles are long enough for my 50 but not long enough for my 105 (pictured.)

Also, Tom Kennedy is one of the nicest, most helpful guys you'll ever speak to on the phone. His products are well-made and the last. I can't give his products enough praise.
  • heavychevy15heavychevy15 Posts: 838 Officer
    I see how you went About doing that and I like it! Looks like a good way to solve this issue I had about drilling through the cooler. Thanks for the idea and reply.

I'm gonna be doing something very similar to that
  • FS JimFS Jim Posts: 476 Moderator
    Yeti make a great tie-down kit.. Check it out on their website
  • JKPJKP Posts: 2,973 Captain
    Tgunn - what didn't you like about the strap setup pictured above? I was about to order one for my new boat but now I am concerned. Thanks.
    I purchased the strap set up yesterday. My biggest concern was that the brackets were not flush but after seein them in person my worries are gone. I like the set up and I pulle hard on the straps as nothing gave. I'll post pics of it mounted tomorrow. Got to late for me to do it tonight
  • TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,861 Captain
    1) I'm not saying the straps aren't OK, but they're straps vs. 316 Stainless turnbuckles. I'll take the turnbuckles. I don't have as much money in my turnbuckle setup as somebody will with the Yeti straps and it's stronger.

2) I liked the flush-mounting of the Kennedy deck plates, as they are versatile----I can use the kennedy system with brands other than Yeti, like an Engel 65, if I decide I want one, or even a buddy's Igloo Marine if I need to.

3) The new Kennedy setups aren't exactly like the ones pictured on their website; the new ones have quick-release turnbuckles. I don't have to loosen them; I just pop the quick release rings and the cooler is free to move. For me, that's a very useful feature since I may move/refasten my cooler 10 times or more in a day of fishing because I use my Yetis as casting platforms as well as coolers. I'd have to re-run the strap through the cooler or the deck plates every time I moved the cooler and that would be a pain in the @ss.

Also, mounting the cooler in the boat is a lot faster with the turnbuckles than with the straps.
    Those are all really Good points. I'm hoping To be able to run with the boat strapped up front cuz it's my casting platform. If I even suspect any play whatsoever I'm gonna switch to the turnbuckles becuase I too feel like they would be Stronger andBetter option. Here's what my Set up looks like as of Now...
    d7283f2f.jpg
    680cd81c.jpg
  • 72soa72soa Posts: 314 Officer
    I would like to strap a cooler to my polling platform to have more room on board. Any ideas?
    I tested the cooler straps out this weekend and was impressed. No play whatsoever in them both days I went out. I drove with it strapped up to see if it'd budge and I didn't. All in all I'd recommend the straps to anyone on the fence about them. Here's a few pix.
    Strapped and ready to go
    d606f3b4.jpg
    230 lb guy casting up front
    ee85ace3.jpg
    Driving with it strapped on
    1ea13bee.jpg
    72soa wrote: »
    I would like to strap a cooler to my polling platform to have more room on board. Any ideas?
    Something similar to this set up may work. If u don't mind the brackets. Very minimal in height, nothing to really trip on
  • Major WaderMajor Wader Posts: 702 Officer
    Kennedy also has a strap mount that is almost flush.
    Member #4013
    Canton, GA