Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Broken TFO Rod-What a PAIN

This is my TFO G-Loomis MH Rod, I primarily use this rod as a third rod. I came home from work today and noticed the bottom eye ring had popped out and was laying on the floor. How that happened I have know clue. This rod has been used very minimally , However what I do know is this is the second EYE that has broken on the Rod. Sending a rod back to the company is a real pain, so the last one that broke, my son Brandon (Catfish) fixed it for me better than it ever was before. I have a St Croix-Avid Inshore and some sweet Star Rods and a couple Gold Cup Inshore Rods that are no prob at all and keep on working for me. This is the recent picture of the rod which caused me a headache. :banghead

P1040158-1.jpg
P1040159.jpg

Replies

• ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,536 Captain
    Man that sucks. Do you know what brand of guides they used on that rod? Might be a good idea to note that on future rod purchases.
  • CatfishCatfish Posts: 527 Officer
    Is this the same rod I just fixed or a different one? Bring it over and I'll fix it again. I'd tell the company to send you a new lower guide though so we don't have to buy one. They should mail you one.

Need to quit buying production rods and just pick out a blank and components and let me build you another. I still haven't broken any guides or rods that I've made. I think the oldest one is about 4 years now.
  • Landlocked_Landlocked_ Posts: 590 Officer
    You have done some rod building Brandon???? I've been thinkin about it myself.....I have far more money invested in other tools and equipment that don't get used all that much lol
    You have done some rod building Brandon???? I've been thinkin about it myself.....I have far more money invested in other tools and equipment that don't get used all that much lol

Yeah, I've built a few. I use pretty simple stuff and made the wrapper with a few things I had on the garage so it was pretty cheap to start. So far I've been really pleased with all the rods. It's not too difficult, just takes some patience.
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,946 Admiral
    Yeah its the same one that had the 2 eye busted out. I`ll order a new one from them and get it to ya, thanks :thumbsup
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    I think they use Pacific Bay guides and I have had a ton of problems with them in the past.
    Idlewilde wrote: »
    I think they use Pacific Bay guides and I have had a ton of problems with them in the past.

Thanks, where do I get them??
    I'd just call the company and tell them to send you a new one.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Don't fret about it Kevin, you got to go fishing to worry about a rod being usable....:grin
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Instead of spending a pile of money on a rod just buy a reasonably priced "production rod" and throw it away when it breaks... I've tried "good" rods and every time I spend good money on one I break it shortly after.. I think there is a law of some kind that states "The longevity of a rod's life is directly proportionate to the amount of money you spend on them, the more you spend the shorter the life"..... At least that's how it works for me, truck doors, tailgates and rod box lids eat expensive rods.....
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Captain
    Sorry to see that Ponce. I have one of those TFO G Loomis rods and knock on wood all is well so far. Joe (coastal addiction) sells the Tsunami Airwave rods and I think they are really nice so far. I will be purchasing a couple more here in a month.
    On your broken rod just heat up the wrapping a bit, pull out the broken guide and slide in a new guide. I have done that on a couple redbone rods and it is real easy.
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,728 Captain
    troutman57 wrote: »
    On your broken rod just heat up the wrapping a bit, pull out the broken guide and slide in a new guide. I have done that on a couple redbone rods and it is real easy.

It works some of the time but it isn't the best fix. You really need to cut off the thread, wrap it again, and put on new guide epoxy. The epoxy is what really holds the guide in place...the thread is only a "helper".

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
    Thanks guys, I aint worrying about it no more, I have plenty of Rods in the Garage, Just ask my wife rolleye0010.gif